RE: [ASCOM] Re: Attachments to message

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 22, 2012

    That’s not correct. It’s a relatively new feature, but Yahoo _does_ support file attachments. Here is one to prove it.

    --Tim Long

    Message 2 of 14 , Feb 22, 2012

      I re-read the thread, and I think the confusion is between email vs. the Yahoo web interface. If that’s the case, then I think Tom is probably right, in that the web interface would not have a facility to add attachments. When posting by email though, it is possible to attach files and the Yahoo Groups software will save the attachment and send links to it in the messages it sends out. That gives the best of all worlds, bandwidth is not wasted because only a hyperlink is mailed out, which links directly to the original file.

      As someone who often needs to look at uploaded log files etc., I personally prefer to get these using the file attachment method, because it is much easier just to click a link in the email that I already have.  That’s just my preference though – others may like different outcomes and it’s up to each individual to choose how they want to deal with files.

      --Tim

      Yahoo groups does not let you do attachment to messages.
      If what you are trying to attach is a picture, you can put them in the Photo section and then reference them in your message.

      Tom Hilton

      On 02/22/2012 8:41 AM, warbrickbob wrote:

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "warbrickbob" <warbrick@...> wrote:

      > Can someone please tell me how to attach an attachment to a message i am trying to send attachments with my reply but can't fathom out how to do it.Thanks BoB

      Thanks everyone,i have e mailed the asked for files,just hope i have done it right.Cheers BoB

      Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from TiGra Networks
      Before replying, please review our email policy

    • Joseph Shuster
      Message 3 of 14 , Feb 22, 2012
        Tim,

        I agree that there's no need to use attachments to send EVERYONE on the group a file that's only interesting to some people. The older anti-attachment philosophy of Yahoo! was done with that consideration. The current implementation -- with partial and contradictory attachment options -- is a step backwards IMO.

        It's almost always better to put a file on the group's File section (as long as you delete it when it's no longer needed). And photos should always go in the Photo section. (Surprising how often those labels seem to confuse folks.)

        Joe

        Message 4 of 14 , Feb 23, 2012

          Joe, I have no idea what you mean by ‘partial and contradictory attachment options’. I attach files, Yahoo stores them and sends everyone a link to them. It is the best of all worlds as far as I can see. I’m clearly missing something, based on the level of discussion around this, but for me “it just works”. Perhaps I’m getting special treatment because I’m a moderator? I suspect not because I’ve seen others use attachments.

          Message 5 of 14 , Feb 24, 2012
            Tim,

            As the option panel (from the group management webpage) below shows, Yahoo! groups can exclude attachments (the traditional style), or pass them to email subscribers (but not store them) or keep attachments on-site (not attached to email). The choices are mutually exclusive. They're clearly "partial" at best. And I think they contradict some of the spirit of an attachment.

            The downside of the first choice is that it forces email subscribers to trek to the website to download from the website. That's not a big deal for a rare attachment, but a pain for frequent attachments. The downside of the second choice is that the folks who choose to read the messages on the website (without email) are blind to the attachments. Even worse, folks who join the group after the message was sent cannot see the attachment.

            IMO, the best choice isn't listed. Yahoo should offer a combination of the email/site storage option so that die-hard email members and die-hard read-on-website members are served.

            Joe
            Inline image 1

            Message 6 of 14 , Feb 24, 2012

              OK… But disregarding what happens on other groups, what happens on ASCOM-Talk is this:

              The name of the setting is a bit misleading. When I include an attachment, it is “Stored on the site and excluded from the email”, a hyperlink to the online stored file is sent out in the email. In my opinion, that works pretty well for both email and web users. Bandwidth is conserved; clicking a link in an email is just as easy as opening an attachment; sending a file to the group is as simple as attaching it to the email; there’s no searching for uploaded files because the link goes directly to the file. For me, that is a winner. I accept that others may prefer different options, but web users can continue to upload their files to the files area just as they have always done, so there is no down side to this, as far as I can see. Attach away!

              Message 7 of 14 , Feb 24, 2012
                Hi Tim and Joe
                The problem with storing the attachments on the group, is that the file section is limited to 100Mbytes of data.  It really don't take many files to eat it up, especially if everyone posted files 5MB long (max file size)
                Like Joe said, for a moderator/owner there are three choices:
                1. Store on site (exclude from emails)
                2. Include in emails (exclude from site)
                3. Exclude from site and emails.

                I have all my groups set to #2

                Tom

                Message 8 of 14 , Feb 25, 2012

                  Judging from this snipping that I got from the bottom of the attachment management screen, attachments and uploaded files appear to have very different quotas.

                  The quota for attachments appears to be 100 Gb, so on that basis we’re far better off using attachments than file uploads.

                  --Tim Long

                  Message 9 of 14 , Feb 26, 2012
                    There's no doubt that Yahoo! has a strange perspective on granting storage. They offer 1,000 times as much photo storage as file storage to a group (100gb photos, 100mb files). I don't agree with people who say Yahoo! decisions demand drug testing. Not "demand", maybe "suggest".<g>