Re: [ASCOM] Re: Ascom and SXW

  • Ricardo Dunna
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 12 KB
    Not shure if the group accepts   .rar attachments, but I´m sending all files that fit on the mask you wrote.

    By now, I´m thinking how I can use my old oscilloscope to look on the serial waveforms, all protocols are embbeded on the USB packs, I can´t see how. Is there a documentation of the Celestron protocol somewhere?

    Maithe from MGastro offered to check/fix the board for free, I´ll deliver it next week and put the original vixen board back for a while, but I like the idea of someone helping on Ascom, so in case she gets stuck on some Ascom trouble, I´ll add your email on our mails if you are OK with that.

    Thanks
    Ricardo Dunna

    Em 25/11/2011 06:49, Chris Rowland escreveu:

    There's a file in Documents\ASCOM\Logs 2011-11-25 called
    ASCOM.Serial.<number>.<number>.txt

    That has data on what's going on with the serial port. I'd like to see it.

    What will probably emerge is that the SXW board only implements a sub
    set of the Celestron commands and does not include some commands the
    ASCOM driver uses. I send several commands at the start to find out what
    type of scope I'm connected to. But it could be a connection problem.

    In any case you will need to sort it out with mgastro. I'd be happy to
    help if they contact me.

    Chris

    On 25/11/2011 00:42, Ricardo Dunna wrote:

    > Chris, I try the Trace menu on Ascom Diagnostics, setting the options
    > "Serial Trace" and "Include serial trace Debug Info" enabled.
    > Got this:
    >
    > Connect Failed...There doesn't appear to be a Celestron scope connected
    > to the COM port.
    >
    > System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040405): There doesn't
    > appear to be a Celestron scope connected to the COM port.
    > em
    > Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateSet(Object o,
    > Type& objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean
    > OptimisticSet, CallType UseCallType)
    > em Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object
    > Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[]
    > ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean OptimisticSet, Boolean
    > RValueBase, CallType CallType)
    > em Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object
    > Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[]
    > ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments)
    > em ASCOM.Utilities.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs
    > e) na C:\BuildAgent\work\c9b0aabbc621eced\ASCOM.Utilities\ASCOM
    > Diagnostics\ConnectForm.vb:linha 125
    >

    > Ricardo Dunna
    >

    > Em 24/11/2011 19:30, Chris escreveu:
    >>
    >> I've not heard of the SXW mod to the Vixen mounts.
    >>
    >> The message is because the driver is sending messages to the scope to
    >> try to find out what sort of mount is connected. It hasn't recognised
    >> the replies - or didn't get any - so doesn't think there is a
    >> Celestron mount connected. Exactly why could be a lot of things.
    >>
    >> Most likely is the serial cable or connector. Or the USB to serial
    >> adaptor. Or maybe the mount does not emulate the Celestron scope well
    >> enough.
    >>
    >> Try logging the serial communication - details for setting this up are
    >> in the instructions supplied with Platform 6. We need to find out what
    >> - if any - responses to the commands you are getting.
    >>
    >> Chris

  • Chris
    Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2011
      Post the files to the files area.

      Use Zip, don't make it more difficult for me than it needs to be.

      Start by finding out what's happening, it could be a cable or a bad connector. Don't assume that you have a complex problem.

      USB? The Celestron communication is RS232 serial and at some level will be available as such.

      Chris

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Dunna <rdunna@...> wrote:

      > Not shure if the group accepts .rar attachments, but I´m sending all
      > files that fit on the mask you wrote.
      >
      > By now, I´m thinking how I can use my old oscilloscope to look on the
      > serial waveforms, all protocols are embbeded on the USB packs, I can´t
      > see how. Is there a documentation of the Celestron protocol somewhere?
      >
      > Maithe from MGastro offered to check/fix the board for free, I´ll
      > deliver it next week and put the original vixen board back for a while,
      > but I like the idea of someone helping on Ascom, so in case she gets
      > stuck on some Ascom trouble, I´ll add your email on our mails if you are
      > OK with that.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Ricardo Dunna
      >
      > Em 25/11/2011 06:49, Chris Rowland escreveu:
      > >
      > > There's a file in Documents\ASCOM\Logs 2011-11-25 called
      > > ASCOM.Serial.<number>.<number>.txt
      > >
      > > That has data on what's going on with the serial port. I'd like to see it.
      > >
      > > What will probably emerge is that the SXW board only implements a sub
      > > set of the Celestron commands and does not include some commands the
      > > ASCOM driver uses. I send several commands at the start to find out what
      > > type of scope I'm connected to. But it could be a connection problem.
      > >
      > > In any case you will need to sort it out with mgastro. I'd be happy to
      > > help if they contact me.
      > >
      > > Chris
      > >
      > > On 25/11/2011 00:42, Ricardo Dunna wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Chris, I try the Trace menu on Ascom Diagnostics, setting the options
      > > > "Serial Trace" and "Include serial trace Debug Info" enabled.
      > > > Got this:
      > > >
      > > > Connect Failed...There doesn't appear to be a Celestron scope connected
      > > > to the COM port.
      > > >
      > > > System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040405): There doesn't
      > > > appear to be a Celestron scope connected to the COM port.
      > > > em
      > > >
      > > Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateSet(Object
      > > o,
      > > > Type& objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean
      > > > OptimisticSet, CallType UseCallType)
      > > > em Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object
      > > > Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[]
      > > > ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean OptimisticSet, Boolean
      > > > RValueBase, CallType CallType)
      > > > em Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object
      > > > Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[]
      > > > ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments)
      > > > em ASCOM.Utilities.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs
      > > > e) na C:\BuildAgent\work\c9b0aabbc621eced\ASCOM.Utilities\ASCOM
      > > > Diagnostics\ConnectForm.vb:linha 125
      > > >

      > > > Ricardo Dunna

    • Ricardo Dunna
      Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2011
        Chris,  the NEXSXW board one serial port to the Celestron hand control and one USB port that connects to the computer.
        Some comments are below in blue.

        Regards
        Ricardo Dunna

        Em 25/11/2011 20:20, Chris escreveu:

        Post the files to the files area.

        The zip file is  in Files/Ricardo Dunna Folder

        Use Zip, don't make it more difficult for me than it needs to be.

        Start by finding out what's happening, it could be a cable or a bad connector. Don't assume that you have a complex problem.

        Already done,  even MGAstro, via emails, coudn´t find what´s wrong

        USB? The Celestron communication is RS232 serial and at some level will be available as such.

        There´s also a virtual port installed to (I suppose) handle the comm between the mount and Ascom.

        Chris

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Dunna <rdunna@...> wrote:

        > Not shure if the group accepts .rar attachments, but I´m sending all
        > files that fit on the mask you wrote.
        >
        > By now, I´m thinking how I can use my old oscilloscope to look on the
        > serial waveforms, all protocols are embbeded on the USB packs, I can´t
        > see how. Is there a documentation of the Celestron protocol somewhere?
        >
        > Maithe from MGastro offered to check/fix the board for free, I´ll
        > deliver it next week and put the original vixen board back for a while,
        > but I like the idea of someone helping on Ascom, so in case she gets
        > stuck on some Ascom trouble, I´ll add your email on our mails if you are
        > OK with that.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Ricardo Dunna

      • Chris
        Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2011
          The log shows commands being sent and no reply at all.

          It could be a bad cable, a problem with the USB to serial port in the PC or the NEXSXW board. Or the wrong serial port being selected.

          I would try a terminal emulator, such as HyperTerminal, and establish that some communication is possible. Commands to try are:

          send E# reply 1234,abcd# Ra and Dec in hex
          send V# reply nn# version nn

          The command protocol is in the various Celestron scope manuals.

          By the way, the log will be easier to understand if only the "Serial Trace Enabled" option is checked, the serial trace debug information adds a vast amount of stuff that's only relevant to debugging the serial driver.