RE: [ASCOM] ASCOM6 - error cannot be null.....

  • Hans Bakken
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 18, 2011

    Hi Tim

    Attached screen shots and the diagnostic log

    Regards

    Hans Bakken

    Message 2 of 18 , Oct 18, 2011
      Hans has been discussing this with me privately; I couldn't see a reason for his problems and hope the group has some insights. He sent me the output from the diagnostics, I've copied this to the Hand Bakker folder in the files area.

      The main thing of interest is that there seems to be a helper.dll file that's part of AVG as well as the ASCOM one. I don't know if that could be the problem.

      Otherwise he's using Starry Night pro. I recall there was quite a lot about this on Ascom Answers but don't recall what it was.

      The first error screen, mentioning version 5.7.2, is not an ASCOM or Celestron driver screen, I think it's part of SNP.

      Chris

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Hans Bakken <hans.bakken@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tim
      >

      > Attached screen shots and the diagnostic log
      >

      > Regards
      >

      > Hans Bakken

    • Hans Bakken
      Message 3 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011

        Hi

        Thanks to you guys for helpful interest and initiatives !

        A short comment concerning your suspicion that different versions of HELPER.DLL might cause the problem.

        Although the ASCOM diagnostic log refers to 2 different versions of HELPER.DLL (ASCOM and AVG ) , it looks like from the Extended Task Manager that the right version of HELPER.DLL is loaded at runtime.

        But what about possible mixing of versions of .NET ?

        The Task Manager shows an activated module ASCOM.Utilities.ni.dll from a folder C:\windows\assembly\nativeimages_v2.0.50727_32\.....

        There is a loaded module MSCORWKS.DLL from .NET framework v2.0.50727 and MSCOREEI.DLL from .NET framework v4.0.30319

        Could this be a 'DLL HELL' problem ?

        Concerning problems with Starry Night – I have experienced quite a lot – but in this case also Carte du Ciel gives the same error. But they might both be wrong?

        Regards

        Hans

        ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: RE: [ASCOM] ASCOM6 - error cannot be null.....
        >

        > The code in the Platform 6 chooser cannot produce that error message at
        > the line specified. Are you sure you've upgraded? Can you run the
        > diagnostics application and post your results, preferable with a screen
        > shot of the error?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Tim Long

        mailto:ASCOM-Talk-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

        > > Yahoo!
        Groups Links

        > --
        > ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify authenticity
        > http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=p9IIns30028641
        > <http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=p9IIns30028641&from=tim@tigra
        > networks.co.uk> &from=tim@...
        > Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from
        > http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
        >

        > No virus found in this message.

        No virus found in this message.

      • Peter Simpson
        Message 4 of 18 , Oct 19, 2011
          Hi Hans,

          The event log tells me that you selecting a driver that has no ProgID, however, that is impossible because driver entries in the Profile are keyed to the driver's ProgID (Celestron.Telescope in your case) so there definitely is a ProgID in the Profile.

          However, the Diagnostics log tells me that the description for the Celestron Telescope is missing. I've extracted the relevant lines below, you can see the expected format in the Hub.Telescope entry

          00:14:28.585 Registry Profile Key        Celestron.Telescope
          ==> There should be a *** Default Value *** = line here but it is missing...
          00:14:28.585 Registry Profile                 AllowAllSlews = -1
          00:14:28.585
          00:14:28.585 Registry Profile Key        Hub.Telescope
          00:14:28.585 Registry Profile                 *** Default Value *** = Generic Hub
          00:14:28.585 Registry Profile                 RegVer = 0.1

          I think this is confusing the Chooser and gives rise to the message you are seeing. It is possible that the Profile has become corrupted in some way, so I suggest that you:
          • uninstall the Celestron driver
          • use ProfileExplorer or Regedit to remove any remaining Celestron entries in the Profile.
          • Reinstall the Celestron driver
          • Test if all is working
          • if not, try adding a Celestron driver description manually using Profile Explorer or Regedit (it goes in the (Default) entry at the top of the list when you select Celestron.Telescope)
          • If necessary, please post a further Diagnostics log
          The Celestron driver entries will be found in the in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASCOM\Telescope Drivers

          Regards, Peter

          Message 5 of 18 , Oct 22, 2011

            Interesting theory, but your screen shot doesn’t show where MSCORWKS.DLL is loaded, so can’t comment on that.

            --Tim Long

            ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: RE: [ASCOM] ASCOM6 - error cannot be null.....
            >

            > The code in the Platform 6 chooser cannot produce that error message at
            > the line specified. Are you sure you've upgraded? Can you run the
            > diagnostics application and post your results, preferable with a screen
            > shot of the error?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Tim Long

            Groups Links

            > --
            > ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify authenticity
            > http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=p9IIns30028641
            > <http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=p9IIns30028641&from=tim@tigra
            > networks.co.uk> &from=tim@...
            > Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from
            > http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
            >

            > No virus found in this message.

            No virus found in this message.

            Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from TiGra Networks

          • Peter Simpson
            Message 6 of 18 , Oct 22, 2011
              Hi all,

              Hans and I have worked on his problem by email and uncovered two issues.
              For some reason, the Celestron entry in the Chooser did not have a
              description, so Chooser fell back to displaying the ProgID
              (Celestron.Telescope) as intended. Unfortunately there is a bug in
              Chooser that prevents the Properties button from working when the
              description is missing and this gave rise to the "cannot be null" error
              that Hans was seeing.

              I have advised Hans how to add a description manually and he can now
              select the Celestron driver OK. I have also updated the Chooser source
              code to avoid the "cannot be null" error should this situation arise in
              future; the fix will be in the next Platform release.

              Regards, Peter

              http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=p9MNmkQE026704&from=tim@..\
              .

              Message 7 of 18 , Oct 23, 2011
                Thanks for finding this Peter.

                Do we know why this happened? I've checked the Celestron driver installation again and it definitely installs the description correctly.

                Chris

                Message 8 of 18 , Oct 23, 2011
                  Hi Chris,

                  I'm afraid there is no evidence as to why the driver description did not
                  install on Hans's PC, just the fact that it didn't. If you would like to
                  pursue this further, perhaps you could add some extra logging to the
                  registration code in the driver and we can ask Hans to try again with
                  Profile and Util tracing enabled.

                  Regards, Peter

                  :
                  > > > 10/18/11
                  > > > >

                  > > > No virus found in this message.
                  > > > 10/18/11
                  > > >

                  > > > --
                  > > > ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify
                  authenticity

                  http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=p9MNmkQE026704&from=tim@\
                  > > .
                  > > > Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available
                  from
                  > > http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk

                • Whit Ludington
                  Message 9 of 18 , Oct 26, 2011
                    I am experiencing exactly the same problem as Hans. When I choose Celestron, then try to set Properties, I get the exact same error message. Like Hans, this happened after upgrading to ASCOM 6. Can someone post a solution or put a writeup in the Files until the problem has been researched and corrected in the driver or the platform? At the moment I can't access the Celestron with TheSkyX or MaxIm.

                    Whit
                  • Chris
                    Message 10 of 18 , Oct 26, 2011
                      This should not happen (obviously) and it's not at all clear why it does.

                      Can you describe in as much detail as possible the steps you went through with your PC from when it was working to when you first saw that it wasn't.

                      I guess that you had an earlier version of the ASCOM Platform installed with the Celestron driver and everything was working.

                      What version of the ASCOM platform did you have installed to start with?

                      What did you then do?
                      In what order?
                      Did you notice anything unexpected?
                      Did you install or uninstall any other software?
                      What version of Windows are you using?
                      Is there anything else that might be relevant?

                      The reason we need all this is because we can't see the problem ourselves, just the after effects. If we have a good idea of the conditions and sequence of operations that generate the problem then we might be able to work out why it's going wrong.

                      As Peter says it looks as if the description of the Celestron driver has disappeared. The fix is to put it back and this describes how:

                      * Run the Profile Explorer (it's in Start Menu \ ASCOM Platform 6 \ Tools)

                      * Click the + sign next to Telescope Drivers

                      * Click on Celestron.Telescope

                      * You should now see a (Default) Value at the top of the list in the right hand pane and I think the Data cell will be blank

                      * Click once on the blank Data cell to select it (it should turn blue)

                      * Now right click on the blank Data cell and select "Edit Data"

                      * Enter a short description e.g. "Celestron Driver" and press Enter

                      * Close Profile Explorer using the red cross in the top right hand corner

                      Now try to select and connect to the driver. It will be called "Celestron Driver". This worked for Hans.

                      As Peter says he's got a work round in the next version.

                      This isn't a fundamental problem with the Celestron driver. It must have been successfully installed hundreds of times, maybe thousands.

                      There seems to be some edge case where the driver and the installation or upgrade process doesn't generate this piece of data.

                      Chris

                      Message 11 of 18 , Oct 26, 2011
                        Could this be a DSR/DTR or RTS/CTS type issue? The one thing that would
                        change going from 5 to 6 is the fact that the helper components are
                        redirected and the new serial port driver would be used.

                        Regards,
                        Tim Long

                        http://www.exchangedefender.com/verify.asp?id=p9R04xcN022967&from=tim@...
                        Complete email hygiene and business continuity solution available from http://www.tigranetworks.co.uk
                      • Chris Rowland
                        Message 12 of 18 , Oct 27, 2011
                          On 27/10/2011 01:04, Tim Long wrote:
                          > Could this be a DSR/DTR or RTS/CTS type issue? The one thing that would
                          > change going from 5 to 6 is the fact that the helper components are
                          > redirected and the new serial port driver would be used.

                          I don't think so, the problem seems to be happening in the chooser
                          before the driver is created.

                          I tried it with the VB6 simulator and got this error from the chooser
                          when selecting properties:

                          ************** Exception Text **************
                          System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance
                          of an object.
                          at ASCOM.Utilities.VersionCode.DriverCompatibilityMessage(String
                          ProgID, Bitness RequiredBitness, TraceLogger TL) in
                          C:\BuildAgent\work\37c2302839b8996f\ASCOM.Utilities\ASCOM.Utilities\GlobalCode.vb:line
                          563
                          at
                          ASCOM.Utilities.ChooserForm.cbDriverSelector_SelectedIndexChanged(Object
                          eventSender, EventArgs eventArgs) in
                          C:\BuildAgent\work\37c2302839b8996f\ASCOM.Utilities\ASCOM.Utilities\ChooserForm.vb:line
                          267
                          at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectionChangeCommitted(EventArgs e)
                          at
                          System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectionChangeCommittedInternal(EventArgs
                          e)
                          at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
                          at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
                          at
                          System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
                          at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                          at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32
                          msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

                          This is Platform 6.0.1128.2127, it's SP1 but I think it's before the
                          fixes that Peter put in.

                          Chris

                          Message 13 of 18 , Oct 27, 2011
                            Hi Chris,
                            That fixed it immediately for MaxIm DL 5, but TheSkyXPro was another matter.

                            I've been running MaxIm DL 5, the Celestron NexRemote, and ASCOM on my laptop for a while with no problems. But, I wanted a better planetarium program. So,I purchased TheSkyXPro last week and it installed OK and ran with the other software. However, it wasn't possible to connect to the Celestron via ASCOM. So, I installed the X2 to ASCOM Converter and just to be safe the latest Celestron Driver (5.0.23). I also downloaded the latest update and daily build for TheSkyXPro. In hindsight, I can't be sure I actually installed them both.

                            So, after following your instructions to put an ID for the Celestron Driver in place of the blank field, I first tested to see it was working in MaxIM DL - it was. Then I checked to see if it was working in TheSkyXPro - it was NOT. Same bad behavior as before. Namely, the window for the ASCOM Chooser would load from TheSkyX, it would be very slow painting the window, like many minutes. Once I was able to select the Celestron Driver it was at least better because it didn't generate the same error msg as before, but instead the program stopped working and I had to restart the computer.

                            At this point, I decided to uninstall TheSkyX and completely reinstall it; this time being certain to include the latest update as well as the latest daily build. Hurray! It worked.

                            I suspect in my first attempt I didn't do the latest update to TheSkyX and that lead to the problem. Exactly why it would erase the driver ID is a mystery.

                            Thanks for getting me up and running.

                            Whit Ludington

                            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_group_mail@...> wrote:

                            > This should not happen (obviously) and it's not at all clear why it does.
                            >
                            > Can you describe in as much detail as possible the steps you went through with your PC from when it was working to when you first saw that it wasn't.
                            >
                            > I guess that you had an earlier version of the ASCOM Platform installed with the Celestron driver and everything was working.
                            >
                            > What version of the ASCOM platform did you have installed to start with?
                            >
                            > What did you then do?
                            > In what order?
                            > Did you notice anything unexpected?
                            > Did you install or uninstall any other software?
                            > What version of Windows are you using?
                            > Is there anything else that might be relevant?
                            >
                            > The reason we need all this is because we can't see the problem ourselves, just the after effects. If we have a good idea of the conditions and sequence of operations that generate the problem then we might be able to work out why it's going wrong.
                            >
                            > As Peter says it looks as if the description of the Celestron driver has disappeared. The fix is to put it back and this describes how:
                            >
                            > * Run the Profile Explorer (it's in Start Menu \ ASCOM Platform 6 \ Tools)
                            >
                            > * Click the + sign next to Telescope Drivers
                            >
                            > * Click on Celestron.Telescope
                            >
                            > * You should now see a (Default) Value at the top of the list in the right hand pane and I think the Data cell will be blank
                            >
                            > * Click once on the blank Data cell to select it (it should turn blue)
                            >
                            > * Now right click on the blank Data cell and select "Edit Data"
                            >
                            > * Enter a short description e.g. "Celestron Driver" and press Enter
                            >
                            > * Close Profile Explorer using the red cross in the top right hand corner
                            >
                            > Now try to select and connect to the driver. It will be called "Celestron Driver". This worked for Hans.
                            >
                            > As Peter says he's got a work round in the next version.
                            >
                            > This isn't a fundamental problem with the Celestron driver. It must have been successfully installed hundreds of times, maybe thousands.
                            >
                            > There seems to be some edge case where the driver and the installation or upgrade process doesn't generate this piece of data.
                            >
                            > Chris
                            >
                            > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Whit Ludington" <wluding@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I am experiencing exactly the same problem as Hans. When I choose Celestron, then try to set Properties, I get the exact same error message. Like Hans, this happened after upgrading to ASCOM 6. Can someone post a solution or put a writeup in the Files until the problem has been researched and corrected in the driver or the platform? At the moment I can't access the Celestron with TheSkyX or MaxIm.
                            > >
                            > > Whit

                          • Chris
                            Message 14 of 18 , Oct 28, 2011
                              Hi Whit,
                              It's good to hear that it's working and thanks for the information.

                              The initial working state was Maxim, ASCOM Platform 6 and a Celestron driver.

                              Do you know what version of the Celestron driver? Version 5.0.23 has been around for some time so unless your setup is old I'd expect it to be that.
                              Everything was working.
                              Then:
                              Install TheSkyX and it wouldn't connect to the Celestron driver.

                              Was this the first time you saw the error you described?
                              Were you still able to connect to the Celestron driver using Maxim or anything else?

                              Are you sure there was nothing else done? This make it look like it was TheSky installation but that's unlikely and we ought not to leap to conclusions without a really good reason.

                              You mentioned upgrading to Platform 6 originally, where in the sequence did you do this?

                              I've just tried a reinstall of the Celestron driver and just reinstalling it will not restore the profile entry but uninstalling the Celestron driver, then installing it again does seem to fix things.

                              That may be a better fix for the less expert people than editing the profile.

                              Chris

                              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Whit Ludington" <wluding@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Chris,
                              > That fixed it immediately for MaxIm DL 5, but TheSkyXPro was another matter.
                              >
                              > I've been running MaxIm DL 5, the Celestron NexRemote, and ASCOM on my laptop for a while with no problems. But, I wanted a better planetarium program. So,I purchased TheSkyXPro last week and it installed OK and ran with the other software. However, it wasn't possible to connect to the Celestron via ASCOM. So, I installed the X2 to ASCOM Converter and just to be safe the latest Celestron Driver (5.0.23). I also downloaded the latest update and daily build for TheSkyXPro. In hindsight, I can't be sure I actually installed them both.
                              >
                              > So, after following your instructions to put an ID for the Celestron Driver in place of the blank field, I first tested to see it was working in MaxIM DL - it was. Then I checked to see if it was working in TheSkyXPro - it was NOT. Same bad behavior as before. Namely, the window for the ASCOM Chooser would load from TheSkyX, it would be very slow painting the window, like many minutes. Once I was able to select the Celestron Driver it was at least better because it didn't generate the same error msg as before, but instead the program stopped working and I had to restart the computer.
                              >
                              > At this point, I decided to uninstall TheSkyX and completely reinstall it; this time being certain to include the latest update as well as the latest daily build. Hurray! It worked.
                              >
                              > I suspect in my first attempt I didn't do the latest update to TheSkyX and that lead to the problem. Exactly why it would erase the driver ID is a mystery.
                              >
                              > Thanks for getting me up and running.
                              >
                              > Whit Ludington

                            • Whit Ludington
                              Message 15 of 18 , Oct 28, 2011
                                Hi Chris,
                                I can't be sure which version of the Celestron Driver I was using. It probably was Version 5.0.23.

                                As I understand it, the "native" TheSkyX is not ASCOM compliant. So, when I first installed it I was connecting to the telescope via the NexRemote virtual port - ASCOM was not involved from TheSkyX perspective. This worked, but MaxIM was out of the loop and couldn't control the telescope.

                                You asked, "Was this the first time you saw the error you described? Were you still able to connect to the Celestron driver using Maxim or anything else?" The problem occurred with TheSkyX and MaxIm at the same time; after installing the X2 to ASCOM Converter.

                                The X2 to ASCOM Converter requires a recent daily build of TheSkyX. I downloaded the daily built and the latest update for TheSkyX. I can't be sure, but I think I neglected to actually install the update. Otherwise, except to install the ASCOM Platform 6 and re-install the Celestron Driver, nothing else was done.

                                Fixing the blank field, by itself, didn't fix the problem completely. It only fixed it for MaxIm. After uninstalling TheSkyX and re-installing it, with its update and daily build, only then did the Celestron Drive settings work from within TheSkyX.

                                So, I don't blame TheSkyX or the Celestron Driver. I think it was human error on my part. I'm pretty sure I neglected to install TheSkyX update before running its daily build installer. I must admit it is very odd that a blank field in the driver would be the result of this misstep.

                                BTW, so you can have the details, I put a photo of the error message in the File section of the group. It's name is 2011-10-24_22_09_42_281.jpg.

                                Whit Ludington

> [...]
                                > >
                                > > At this point, I decided to uninstall TheSkyX and completely reinstall it; this time being certain to include the latest update as well as the latest daily build. Hurray! It worked.
                                > >
                                > > I suspect in my first attempt I didn't do the latest update to TheSkyX and that lead to the problem. Exactly why it would erase the driver ID is a mystery.

                              • Chris
                                Message 16 of 18 , Oct 28, 2011
                                  Thanks Whit,

                                  I don't think it's human error on your part, installers should not cause things to stop working regardless of what you do.

                                  But where it's going wrong is a mystery. All we can do is keep a look out and see if we get any more reports of problems.