Windows 7/Starry Night Pro/Celestron

  • drbarton11
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2010
      I recently purchased a Celestron 8SE telescope. I simultaneously purchased Starry Night Pro to aid me in this hobby.

      I installed the Nexstar remote program (NexRemote - Firmware NXS 4.18) on a Windows 7 based laptop and connected the telescope with a serial port/usb adapter (I had to download a generic driver).

      The telescope responds to the Nexstar program without incidence.

      When I try to connect the telescope to the Starry Night Pro program using 'ASCOM', I get the message, "MSComm - The device is not open".
      I've tried changing the COM port, but get the same message.

      I've tried restarting the program, shutting down the computer, turning on and off the Nexstar handpiece, and restarting the NexRemote program, changing the COM ports.

      I've also downloaded and installed the latest ASCOM driver to my computer. Still no resolve.

      I'm not sure whether or not the serial cable is the issue or not - the cable cost me $25.00 from a local computer shop. The fact that I can use that cable to operate the NexRemote Software without incident tells me that the cable is probably fine.

      Any ideas? Thank you in advance!
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
        There's quite a lot about connecting to SNP in AstroAnswers.

        W7 32 or 64 bits?

        What version numbers are you using with ASCOM and the Celestron driver? "The Latest" just says it's the last one you know of.

        If you can get NexRemote working you should be able to connect SNP to the virtual Com port in NexRemote, select the COM port number reported at the base of the NexRemote display. this eliminates questions of cables and USB to serial port connections.

        Otherwise, what cable are you using to connect to the scope? It must be one that plugs into the base of the real HC.

        The scope must be aligned before you connect.

        Chris