Hi

  • jimvail@pe.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
      I hope this group is a bit more active than the last ASCOM group.

      To start things (between the four of us :) ),I'll throw out a
      question. When I start a script that calls for MaxIm DL, and I've
      already started Maxim to cool and focus my camera, I get very erratic
      results. Sometimes the script runs fine, others, it results in an
      error. If I shut Maxim down before starting the script, and let the
      script start MaxIm, everything is fine. Obviously, the latter is what
      I now do, but I'm wondering why I have to. THE Sky doesn't work this
      way. I don't have to have the script start a new instance of The Sky
      when the script starts. Does anyone know if there is an
      initialization process that I should be performing, or if there's any
      other around this?

      Jim Vail
    • rdenny@dc3.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
        Jim --

        Doug George is much better qualified than I, but I'll take a crack at
        it...

        I've noticed the opposite. I seem to have consistent and reliable
        operation if I start MaxIm and manually open the CCD control panel.
        Then I start the camera and cooler. Finally, I do a shutdown on the
        camera <b>without turning off the cooler</b>. My scripts don't turn
        off the cooler either. By doing this you avoid temperature cycling the
        camera, which can mess up the chip in some (older? cheap?) cameras.

        Once the camera is cooled, I can start a script. When the script
        creates its instance of MaxIm.CCDCamera, the CCD control panel
        appears. After this, things seem to run just great. I know that Tim
        Puckett, for example, starts scripts that take hundreds of images, and
        I believe he uses the same steps to get started.

        -- Bob

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@egroups.com, jimvail@p... wrote:
        > Does anyone know if there is [a MaxIm DL scripting]
        > initialization process that I should be performing?
      • Douglas B. George
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
          jimvail@... wrote:

          > I hope this group is a bit more active than the last ASCOM group.
          >
          > To start things (between the four of us :) ),I'll throw out a
          > question. When I start a script that calls for MaxIm DL, and I've
          > already started Maxim to cool and focus my camera, I get very erratic
          > results. Sometimes the script runs fine, others, it results in an
          > error. If I shut Maxim down before starting the script, and let the
          > script start MaxIm, everything is fine. Obviously, the latter is what
          > I now do, but I'm wondering why I have to. THE Sky doesn't work this
          > way. I don't have to have the script start a new instance of The Sky
          > when the script starts. Does anyone know if there is an
          > initialization process that I should be performing, or if there's any
          > other around this?

          Hmmmm... I've not seen that problem. What model of camera are you using?

          Doug

          --
          Doug George

          Diffraction Limited Cyanogen Division
          Industrial Products Astronomy Products
          http://www.diffractionlimited.com http://www.cyanogen.com
          dgeorge@... dgeorge@...
          Phone: (613) 225-9852 Sales: (613) 225-2732
          Fax: (613) 225-9688 Fax: (613) 225-9688
        • Jim Vail
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
            Bob,

            Well, this has already paid off. You're doing exactly what I wanted to do,
            but didn't know I could. I assumed that when you shut down the camera, you
            HAD to turn off the cooler. I even built in a "cooling down" period in the
            script, because MaxIm always restarted at zero cooling power and needed a
            couple of minutes to stabilize.

            However, I notice that you DO shut down the camera before starting the
            script. That's what I was doing by shutting down MaxIm completely. I
            assume then, that shutting down the camera before starting the script IS
            required. I'll try this out this afternoon. Thanks.

            BTW, how is the new version of ACP coming?

            Jim Vail

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
              Jim Vail wrote:

              > [...], I notice that you DO shut down the camera before starting the
              > script.

              Maybe in an old script :-(, but the AcquireImagesFlex.vbs script that ships
              with Pinpoint 2.0 SP1 has a user option for camera shutdown. And during
              startup it does this:

              cam.CoolerOn = True
              cam.TemperatureSetpoint = cameraTemp

              So I do turn on the cooler during script startup. The cameraTemp value comes
              from the user config area.

              -- Bob
            • Jim Vail
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
                Doug,

                I have a Meade 416XT.

                To expand on the situation..., if I manually start MaxIm and cool the
                camera, and leave everything running, then start the script (which is a
                takeoff on Bob's AcquireImages script), the CCD control panel comes up, the
                cooler power is 0, the CCD temp start rising, cooler power comes on, and the
                temp finally start falling. In the meantime, an error message pops up with
                "Could not initialize the Camera at (the line "If not cam.LinkEnabled
                Then"). The second time I tried, it made it past that, but I got the error
                "Failed to start the exposure at (the line "If Not cam.Expose ...").

                I tried Bob's way of doing things, with manually starting MaxIm, cooling,
                then shutting down, but hitting NO to "Turn Cooler Off?". When I start the
                script, the CCD control panel still comes up with cooler power 0, the camera
                begins warming, the cooler power comes on, and it eventually cools back
                down. The only difference, is that the camera goes ahead and makes the
                image just fine.

                I can get around this by having a two minute wait time for the camera to
                cool back down after the script starts. According to Bob's reply, this
                sounds like a problem unique to me, so if you have any thoughts on it, just
                reply off the list to jimvail@... .

                Thanks,

                Jim