Dome Proposal

  • Mike Stewart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2001
      Hello,

      This is my first posted message on the ASCOM talk site, so I probably
      should introduce myself.

      My name is Michael Stewart. I work for Dr. Greg Guzik at LSU. I am
      currently developing remote telescope control software (TCP/IP client/
      server based control software). We have a good deal of the code currently
      working (i.e. can control the dome and the telescope through
      PC-TCS Native protocol, the apogee camera through Maxim, and some other
      observatory features over the internet). But, we are not ASCOM compliant
      and would very
      much like to meet the standards in order to become ASCOM compliant (at least
      on
      the tcp/ip client end).

      I was thinking that we could come up with a ASCOM Dome standard and
      implement
      it as a new class. I've taken a crack at it, and would very much like
      some input/advice. I envision this as an ASCOM Dome template much like the
      ASCOM
      Telescope template in ASCOM Beta Version 5.

      Please add to/change as you see fit.

      Michael Stewart

      Possible Dome Class:

      Properties
      ----------

      Get CanAutoDome As Boolean Returns true if driver is cabable
      of
      autodome

      Get CanOpenUpperShutter As Boolean Returns true if driver is cabable
      of
      opening an upper shutter

      Get CanOpenLowerShutter As Boolean Returns true if driver is cabable
      of
      opening a lower shutter

      Get CanGetDomeAzimuth As Boolean Returns true if driver is cabable
      of
      retreiving dome azimuth

      Get CanSetDomeAzimuth As Boolean Returns true if driver is cabable
      of
      setting dome azimuth

      Get CanStowDome As Boolean Returns true if driver is cabable
      of
      stowing the dome.

      Get Connected As Boolean Return true if link connected to
      dome control.

      Let Connected(ByVal val As Boolean) Set to true to connect link to dome
      control.

      Get DriverInfo As String Descriptive and version information
      about this
      ASCOM dome driver

      Get Description As String The long description of the dome

      Get Name As String The short name of the dome, for
      display purposes

      Get AutoDome As Boolean Returns true if autodome is ON

      Get UpperShutter As Boolean Returns true if open shutter is
      open,
      false if it is closed or in motion

      Get LowerShutter As Boolean Returns true if lower shutter is
      open,
      false if it is closed or in motion

      Get UpperShutterStatus As domeStatus Returns an enumerated type defined
      within
      the Dome class:

      Public Enum domeStatus
      mtnUnknown = 48
      domeOpen = 49
      domeClosed = 50
      domeMotion = 51
      End Enum

      Get LowerShutterStatus As domeStatus Returns enumerated status of the
      lower
      shutter.

      Get DomeAzimuth As Double Returns the current dome Azimuth

      Get StowDome As Boolean Returns true if the dome is in the
      stow
      position.

      Methods
      -------

      AutoDomeON() As Boolean Turn ON autodome; Return true if
      successful

      AutoDomeOFF() As Boolean Turn OFF autodome; Return true if
      successful

      OpenUpperShutter() As Boolean Open the upper shutter; Return true
      if successful

      CloseUpperShutter() As Boolean Close the upper shutter; Return true
      if successful

      OpenLowerShutter() As Boolean Open the lower shutter; Return true
      if successful

      CloseLowerShutter() As Boolean Close the lower shutter; Return true
      if successful

      StowDome() As Boolean Move the dome to stow position;
      Return true if successful

      RotateDomeAbsolute
      (ByVal val As Double)
      As Boolean Rotate the dome to the azimuth
      'val'; Return true if successful

      RotateDomeRelative
      (ByVal val As Double)
      As Boolean Rotate the dome relative to current
      azimuth
      +/- val; Return true if successful

      SetUpDialog() Brings up the setup dialog box; used
      set up any required settings, eg.
      COM Port.