EquatorialSystems

  • paul_lx200gps
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hi All

      What will happen in regards to software like ACP if you send Local Topocentric coordinates to the ASCOM driver but the drivers EquatorialSystems is set to J2000? Does software read this setting and act accordingly? The controller I use does not do any conversions and will except any input (JNOW,J2000) and just returns the same.

      Regards
      -Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
        Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, that would be an error. This seems clear cut to me. The driver must report what system it is using. The Telescope.EquatorialSystem property is read-only and the driver must report the right value for your mount. If the mount is configurable and can use multiple coordinate systems, then the driver has two choices. It can either read the mount's setting and report that, or it can force the setting to a predefined value during the connect sequence. Either way, whatever the driver returns in Telescope.EquatorialSystem, all coordinates input and output must be in that system. It's the driver's job to ensure that is done correctly. I don't see any ambiguity.

        Regards,
        Tim Long

      • paul_lx200gps
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
          Hi Tim

          I agree with you, my controller works this way if you use a program that inputs local topo then that's what it returns and if you send J2000 again it will return that it does not have a preference. It is also not configurable. So my question could have been does software read the equatorialsystem and convert the return somehow if it thinks that it is required? At the moment the driver is set always to be J2000 even though if you send local topo it will return local topo.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
            > What will happen in regards to software like ACP if you send Local
            > Topocentric coordinates to the ASCOM driver but the drivers EquatorialSystems
            > is set to J2000?

            The coordinates and pointing will be off. ACP has a selector that lets you tell
            it whether the scope needs local topo or J2000. Set that to match whatever
            coordinates the scope needs. The option is in Preferences, Telescope "Scope
            needs local topocentric coordinates" (default = on since most amateur scopes use
            local topo).

            > Does software read this setting and act accordingly?

            ACP does not read Telescope.EquatorialSystem (for historical reasons, and so it
            can work with V1 drivers). You need to set this option as well as the refraction
            option to match your scope.

            > I agree with you, my controller works this way if you use a program that
            > inputs local topo then that's what it returns and if you send J2000 again it
            > will return that it does not have a preference. It is also not configurable.
            > So my question could have been does software read the equatorialsystem and
            > convert the return somehow if it thinks that it is required? At the moment
            > the driver is set always to be J2000 even though if you send local topo it
            > will return local topo.

            This is a bit confusing to me, but if you're saying that you have a control on
            the scope that tells it to use local topo or J2000, AND IT USES THE SELECTED
            TYPE IN ALL CASES(!!!), then match that with the setting in ACP.