Re: [ASCOM] Hello all New to group & need help with G-11 non Gemini

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 8:20 AM
      Tim, Jim & Bob,

      Thanx for your replys.
      I do have the basic G11 with the drives. The only "extra" is the
      polar scope. I'm just "used to using SN to control my LXD55 with
      Autostar. Before that I was using a Vixen with MT-1 drives (POTH) but
      it was overmounted by the R200SS, No Goto. Hence the my upgrade to
      the LXD55 10"SNT. "Easier" to use but not really AP capable. The G11
      I got used & is on excellent shape. But I had to give up GoTo. I
      might (Probably) upgrade to Gemini but that will be a while. So I
      need a way to control the scope by computer from inside my house. My
      kids have abandoned their old play set. (An 8' diam Octagon, built
      with 6x6's for uprights & 2x6's for framing. A plan coming together)
      This is being converted into an observatory for the G11 for now,
      later the 14'5".
      The problem I'm having is understanding is which "module" of ASCOM
      controls what, and what I "must" have to make the G11 work with my
      computer. Information overload. For the moment, I have the G11
      sitting in my dining room and am trying to get it to talk to my
      computer through SN via a USB port. I need to get this done fairly
      quickly since SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) isn't really trilled
      with "Another D@&M Telescope" especially in the dining room.

      Thanx John.