HelperNET Help File Issues

  • Peter Simpson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 4:58 AM

      Hi all,

      There are a number of reports of issues with the help file but I just want to get a couple of things clear in my head. There are two ways to get hold of the file:

      1. Download directly from the Files section of this group
      2. Have the file installed by the HelperNET installer

      Past experience tells us that 1. does give rise to issues for some people, for all the reasons and with all the workrounds that have been discussed over the last week.

      What concerns me more is that 2. may not be working as expected. The Help file is installed by the HelperNET Inno installer as a shortcut in the XP Start button menu (and equivalent places under other versions) as:

      Start/Programs/ASCOM Platform/Docs/HelperComponents/ASCOM Platform for .NET

      The actual file goes into Program Files/Common Files/ASCOM/Doc as does the PDF file containing the pictures.

      I've just installed onto my work machine for the first time and the help file works perfectly when I access it from the Start menu. So, can anyone successfully open the file from the start menu?

      Please report both good and bad outcomes from this test, hopefully it will be possible to see a pattern in the answers. For now, I'd just like to focus on the file installed by the installer and come back to any issues with direct download from the Files section later.

      Thanks, Peter

    • Peter Simpson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 12:11 AM
        Hi All,

        I've removed the help file from the Files section now as it was a lot
        more trouble than it was worth! The help file is still installed by the
        installer though so you just have to run that to get it. It is located
        in Start\All Programs\ASCOM Platform\Docs\Helper Components.

        Regards, Peter