Re: Weather/Cloud Watcher ASCOM standard

  • dvandal1984
    Message 1 of 87 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hi,

      Its the first time I'm writing in ASCOM group, but I will give my
      opinion of what I think the driver should look like as a 24 years old
      programmer-analyst and amateur astronomer from Quebec, Canada ;)

      The Weather Sensor Driver Variables should be something like ...
      - isSafe (Boolean) = Is it safe to observe?
      - isClear (Boolean) = Is it clear to observe?
      - SensorType (String or Array?) = Sensor Type
      - SensorDesc (String) = Sensor Description
      - SensorValue (Double) = Sensor current Value

      SensorType, i mean a string or an array to define what is sensor type,
      example...
      - temperature == Temperature Sensor
      - cloud == Cloud Sensor
      - humidity == Humidity Sensor
      - barometric == Barometric Sensor
      - altitude == Altitude Sensor
      ... The value could be an array but I think that if in the future a
      new sensor type need to be added its easier with a string than with a
      fixed array :S

      SensorDesc, this would be the sensor description, either defined by
      driver maker of could be defined if allowed in driver setup to set a
      description about driver, like 'External Temperature', 'Internal
      Pressure Level', etc...

      SensorValue (Double) could ...
      - For temperature sensor, return current temperature in celcius (ex: 25.4)
      - For humidity sensor, return current humidity level in percentage
      (ex: 13)
      - For cloud sensor, return current clouds level in percentage (ex: 3)
      - For barometric sensor, return current pressure in kpa (ex: 33)
      - For altitude sensor, return current altitude in meters (ex: 150)

      According to me this is quite simple to implement and should works
      with most sensors.

      --
      Daniel Vandal
      Programmer-Analyst

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Long" <Tim@...> wrote:

      > I would personally be happy with enumerated states instead of Booleans,
      > but there is some precedent already for the "Safe" Boolean and I think
      > Booleans are more portable across different languages.
      >
      > --Tim

    • Chuck Faranda
      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 6, 2008
        I suggest that the object be something other than 'weather', 'watcher'
        perhaps.

        Chuck