Meade ASCOM driver question on Date/Time

  • mark301066
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi

      Wondered if anyone could help. I'm using the Meade Classic / Autostar
      I ASCOM driver to drive my LX90 which all works fine apart from
      setting date/time. When I try to update scope time/date I get error
      message **Date/Time change error, proceeding**.

      Is is possible to set the time/date on LX90??

      Thanks
      Mark
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 7, 2008
        It is possible to set the date and time on a 497 Autostar,
        but they must be set in a specific order (time first, then date).
        There is also a very long delay after the "date set" (:SC)
        and the driver may be timing out.

        Despite the error message, -did- the time and date get set?

        have fun
        --dick (who will try to try such a hookup... what application
        program are you using with ASCOM? )

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Wondered if anyone could help. I'm using the Meade Classic / Autostar
        > I ASCOM driver to drive my LX90 which all works fine apart from
        > setting date/time. When I try to update scope time/date I get error
        > message **Date/Time change error, proceeding**.
        >
        > Is is possible to set the time/date on LX90??
        >
        > Thanks
        > Mark

      • mark301066
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 8, 2008
          Thanks Dick

          I will check whether the date/time were actually set. Thinking about
          it, how would I know?

          The application I'm using to attempt the update is the POTH hub
          itself. I turn on the LX90, press ENTER, ENTER, ENTER without
          changing any values, then connect POTH, which gives the error that
          scope time and sidereal time differ by more than 15 seconds. I then
          go into POTH Setup and press the update scope button, which is when
          the error occurs. Any ideas?

          Since you asked about which application I'm using, I was wondering if
          there's an alternative 'virtual handbox' available. I use the POTH to
          setup and park the scope, as well as the nudge controls; I use Cartes
          du Ciel to slew to targets and AA4 to image/guide, all communicating
          to the LX90 through POTH.

          Thanks for your help
          Clear Skies
          Mark
          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

          > It is possible to set the date and time on a 497 Autostar,
          > but they must be set in a specific order (time first, then date).
          > There is also a very long delay after the "date set" (:SC)
          > and the driver may be timing out.
          >
          > Despite the error message, -did- the time and date get set?
          >
          > have fun
          > --dick (who will try to try such a hookup... what application
          > program are you using with ASCOM? )
          >
          > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > Wondered if anyone could help. I'm using the Meade Classic /
          Autostar
          > > I ASCOM driver to drive my LX90 which all works fine apart from
          > > setting date/time. When I try to update scope time/date I get
          error
          > > message **Date/Time change error, proceeding**.
          > >
          > > Is is possible to set the time/date on LX90??
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Mark

        • autostaretx
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 8, 2008
            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Dick
            >
            > I will check whether the date/time were actually set.
            > Thinking about it, how would I know?

            After your "enter,enter,enter", lean on the Mode key for 3
            seconds, release, then scroll to the live "Time/LST" display.
            That will reflect changes (LST is local sidereal time).

            > The application I'm using to attempt the update is the POTH hub
            > itself. I turn on the LX90, press ENTER, ENTER, ENTER without
            > changing any values, then connect POTH, which gives the error that
            > scope time and sidereal time differ by more than 15 seconds. I then
            > go into POTH Setup and press the update scope button, which is when
            > the error occurs. Any ideas?

            Without seeing a captured serial trace, i can't guess (but i can
            duplicate a POTH session, so i'll see if i can try it... but for
            the first tests i'll be using ASCOM v4 under WindowsXP).

            > Since you asked about which application I'm using, I was wondering
            > if there's an alternative 'virtual handbox' available. I use the
            > POTH to setup and park the scope, as well as the nudge controls;
            > I use Cartes du Ciel to slew to targets and AA4 to image/guide,
            > all communicating to the LX90 through POTH.

            POTH is a good testing tool. Since i'm primarily a visual
            observer, i rarely automate my scopes except for testing.
            For full remote handboxing, i use either Meade's AutostarSuite,
            or Andrew Johansen's PEC Editor, which divulges much internal info
            ( get the beta from http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea ).
            Neither of those is an ASCOM application. When ASCOMming,
            I use POTH, Pipe (part of ASCOM) and StarryNightPro v4.5

            have fun
            --dick

            > Thanks for your help
            > Clear Skies
            > Mark
            > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It is possible to set the date and time on a 497 Autostar,
            > > but they must be set in a specific order (time first, then date).
            > > There is also a very long delay after the "date set" (:SC)
            > > and the driver may be timing out.
            > >
            > > Despite the error message, -did- the time and date get set?
            > >
            > > have fun
            > > --dick (who will try to try such a hookup... what application
            > > program are you using with ASCOM? )
            > >
            > > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi
            > > >
            > > > Wondered if anyone could help. I'm using the Meade Classic /
            > Autostar
            > > > I ASCOM driver to drive my LX90 which all works fine apart from
            > > > setting date/time. When I try to update scope time/date I get
            > error
            > > > message **Date/Time change error, proceeding**.
            > > >
            > > > Is is possible to set the time/date on LX90??
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > Mark

          • mark301066
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 12, 2008
              Dick

              Following your tip I got the AUtostar handset displaying LST and
              actual time (which were wrong as I had deliberately not entered
              them).

              I then started POTH, hit SHOW TRAFFIC. I could see various slew
              commands when I nudged the scope. I then tried the UPDATE SCOPE. It
              again said **Date/Time change error, proceeding**. The AUtostar
              display indeed showed that the date/time had not been changed.

              I then disconnected POTH and, in Cartes du Ciel, connected to the
              LX90 using the native Meade protocol rather than through ASCOM POTH.
              I press the update time/date button and the Autostar handset indeed
              showed that the time/date had been changed correctly using my PC
              system time. Great!

              So, I then disconnected CdC from the LX90, changed CdC's
              configuration back to using POTH so I could get on with my session.
              Amazingly, POTH again complained that the time/date was wrong,
              please update, even though the handset showed the local Time was in
              agreement with my PC time!!! And yes, when I tried the Update
              Date/Time, it again failed!

              Help!!! Any ideas at all Dick? It may seem trivial, but it's really
              bugging me now :-)

              Thanks, and Clear Skies

              wrote:

              > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@>
              wrote:

              > > Thanks Dick
              > >
              > > I will check whether the date/time were actually set.
              > > Thinking about it, how would I know?
              >
              > After your "enter,enter,enter", lean on the Mode key for 3
              > seconds, release, then scroll to the live "Time/LST" display.
              > That will reflect changes (LST is local sidereal time).
              >
              > > The application I'm using to attempt the update is the POTH hub
              > > itself. I turn on the LX90, press ENTER, ENTER, ENTER without
              > > changing any values, then connect POTH, which gives the error
              that
              > > scope time and sidereal time differ by more than 15 seconds. I
              then
              > > go into POTH Setup and press the update scope button, which is
              when
              > > the error occurs. Any ideas?
              >
              > Without seeing a captured serial trace, i can't guess (but i can
              > duplicate a POTH session, so i'll see if i can try it... but for
              > the first tests i'll be using ASCOM v4 under WindowsXP).
              >
              > > Since you asked about which application I'm using, I was
              wondering
              > > if there's an alternative 'virtual handbox' available. I use the
              > > POTH to setup and park the scope, as well as the nudge controls;
              > > I use Cartes du Ciel to slew to targets and AA4 to image/guide,
              > > all communicating to the LX90 through POTH.
              >
              > POTH is a good testing tool. Since i'm primarily a visual
              > observer, i rarely automate my scopes except for testing.
              > For full remote handboxing, i use either Meade's AutostarSuite,
              > or Andrew Johansen's PEC Editor, which divulges much internal info
              > ( get the beta from http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea ).
              > Neither of those is an ASCOM application. When ASCOMming,
              > I use POTH, Pipe (part of ASCOM) and StarryNightPro v4.5
              >
              > have fun
              > --dick
              >

              > > Thanks for your help
              > > Clear Skies
              > > Mark
              > > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@>
              wrote:

              > > > It is possible to set the date and time on a 497 Autostar,
              > > > but they must be set in a specific order (time first, then
              date).
              > > > There is also a very long delay after the "date set" (:SC)
              > > > and the driver may be timing out.
              > > >
              > > > Despite the error message, -did- the time and date get set?
              > > >
              > > > have fun
              > > > --dick (who will try to try such a hookup... what application
              > > > program are you using with ASCOM? )
              > > >
              > > > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@>

              > > Autostar
              > > error

            • autostaretx
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 13, 2008
                There is a registry entry you can make which causes ASCOM's
                helper.dll to record a closer-to-true "serial trace": i.e.
                the actual characters it is sending, and what it hears back.
                (since i can never remember it, and diagnose other programs, too,
                i use PortMon, a freeware download which captures -all- serial
                traffic (with time stamps and background control info).
                That tells me *exactly* what is heading out the wire, and
                what comes back. If you try PortMon, filter the log (or messages)
                for those records containing the word "Length"... that masks the
                metadata.

                "higher level" traffic messages are not the "wire truth"
                (what did the "show traffic" reveal?)

                have fun
                --dick (not enough spare time yet to cobble a test together, sorry)

              • mark301066
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 16, 2008
                  Dick

                  Thanks again for the help. I followed your instructions and
                  downloaded portmon. I've saved a log file in my Mark Ashley folder.
                  It contains the data logged when I pressed the Update Scope button in
                  POTH.

                  Unfortunately it means nothing to me. I'm really hoping it does to
                  you!!?

                  Sorry, I forgot to filter on Length, so there's a lot of chaff.

                  Really appreciate any insight you can give.

                • autostaretx
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 17, 2008
                    --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

                    > Dick
                    >
                    > Thanks again for the help. I followed your instructions and
                    > downloaded portmon. I've saved a log file in my Mark Ashley folder.
                    > It contains the data logged when I pressed the Update Scope button
                    > in POTH.
                    >
                    > Unfortunately it means nothing to me. I'm really hoping it does to
                    > you!!?

                    Well, all that 8 KB file reveals is the PC asking the scope for
                    its current Latitude and Longitude.
                    Dispensing with the chaff, the messages are:
                    PC> :Gt# (Get Latitude)
                    Scope> +50d48:00# (the "d" is really a special character)
                    PC> :Gg# (Get Longitude)
                    Scope> 002d34:00#

                    There's a slight weirdness in that between each command and its
                    response, the serial log shows the "successful" receipt of some
                    ( 3 after the Gt, 7 after the Gg) zerro-length strings. Those
                    may be time-limited reads, i can't tell.

                    But the scope -did- reply with the Lat/Long

                    I'll try to play with it within the next two days...

                    have fun
                    --dick
                  • mark301066
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 17, 2008
                      Well at least it got my home lat/long right! Thanks for your time,
                      hopefully you help shed light on this.

                      Appreciate it.

                      wrote:

                      > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@>
                      wrote:

                      > > Dick
                      > >
                      > > Thanks again for the help. I followed your instructions and
                      > > downloaded portmon. I've saved a log file in my Mark Ashley
                      folder.
                      > > It contains the data logged when I pressed the Update Scope
                      button
                      > > in POTH.
                      > >
                      > > Unfortunately it means nothing to me. I'm really hoping it does
                      > > you!!?
                      >
                      > Well, all that 8 KB file reveals is the PC asking the scope for
                      > its current Latitude and Longitude.
                      > Dispensing with the chaff, the messages are:
                      > PC> :Gt# (Get Latitude)
                      > Scope> +50d48:00# (the "d" is really a special character)
                      > PC> :Gg# (Get Longitude)
                      > Scope> 002d34:00#
                      >
                      > There's a slight weirdness in that between each command and its
                      > response, the serial log shows the "successful" receipt of some
                      > ( 3 after the Gt, 7 after the Gg) zerro-length strings. Those
                      > may be time-limited reads, i can't tell.
                      >
                      > But the scope -did- reply with the Lat/Long
                      >
                      > I'll try to play with it within the next two days...
                      >
                      > have fun
                      > --dick

                    • Pierre de Ponthiere
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 17, 2008
                        Hi Mark,
                        In the past, I helped Jon Brewster in the development of POTH.
                        With the current implementation, when you use the button "Update Scope
                        (including Time)" with an LX200GPS, the Meade driver generates an
                        error when POTH tries to set SiteLatitude. And POTH does not continue
                        with Time.
                        I've just posted to Bob Denny and Jon Brewster a proposal for POTH
                        update that would solve the problem.

                        Clear skies,
                        Pierre

                        Pierre de Ponthiere (Belgium)
                        AAVSO Member (American Association of Variable Star Observers)
                        CBA Lesve Observer (Center for Backyard Astrophysics)
                        CAB Member (Cercle Astronomique de Bruxelles)
                        AstroNamur Member (Regional astro club)
                        ACA Astronomie Centre Ardennes member
                        http://www.dppobservatory.net

                      • mark301066
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 17, 2008
                          Thanks Pierre

                          Very interesting and hopeful! I was wondering how I got in contact
                          with the POTH developers - out of interest how did you post John &
                          Bob them as I can't see it in the group here.

                          Clear skies
                          Mark

                          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre de Ponthiere"
                          <pierredeponthiere@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >> That will reflect changes (LST is local sidereal time).

                          > > that
                          > > then
                          > > when
                          > >>
                          > >> Without seeing a captured serial trace, i can't guess (but i can
                          > >> duplicate a POTH session, so i'll see if i can try it... but for
                          > >> the first tests i'll be using ASCOM v4 under WindowsXP).

                          > > wondering
                          > >>
                          > >> POTH is a good testing tool. Since i'm primarily a visual
                          > >> observer, i rarely automate my scopes except for testing.
                          > >> For full remote handboxing, i use either Meade's AutostarSuite,
                          > >> or Andrew Johansen's PEC Editor, which divulges much internal
                          info
                          > >> ( get the beta from http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea ).
                          > >> Neither of those is an ASCOM application. When ASCOMming,
                          > >> I use POTH, Pipe (part of ASCOM) and StarryNightPro v4.5

                        • autostaretx
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 18, 2008
                            I finally managed to run your POTH tests (including placing PIPE
                            between POTH and the serial port), and tried using PortMon.
                            I couldn't convince it to work.
                            So i downloaded another serial port monitor and captured portions
                            (not all characters are caught in a slow PC) of the traffic.

                            Like you, i see POTH complain if i try the "Update Scope" button.
                            I also see fairly happy traffic, so it does seem like a POTH issue.
                            POTH starts off asking the Autostar for its firmware version
                            and scope type (:GVF#) and then proceeds to communicate, even
                            when it says it's having that error.

                            So "i see it, too". Using ASCOM v4.1 under Windows XP against
                            a 497 Autostar running 43Eg on an ETX90EC

                            Something i am *not* seeing is any attempt by POTH to actually
                            -set- the Autostar... no ":S" commands of any sort. So that
                            may be the failure: it may decide it -needs- to "Update", but
                            it doesn't actually do it, so therefore gets upset when the
                            Autostar doesn't (magically?) change its idea of the current
                            time and date.

                            have fun
                            --dick

                          • mark301066
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                              Dick

                              Well at least you can replicate what I have, it's not some perverse
                              setup problem specific to me!

                              Anyway, a few more experiments have yielded the following
                              conclusions (Remember when I power up the scope - having parked it,
                              if that makes a difference - I'm simply pressing enter/enter/enter
                              to set the default time/date/DST settings).

                              - Using the Meade Autostar remote handbox to set the date/time
                              changes the date/time on the handset, but when POTH connects (having
                              disconnected the Meade remote handbox), it complains that the LST on
                              the handbox and PC don't match and the POTH LST is NOT updated with
                              the one on the handset

                              - Changing the date/time actually on the real Autostar handset (not
                              at start up but navigating to the appropriate menu), when POTH
                              connects it again complains that the LST values are different and
                              POTH LST does not update to reflect the one on the handset.

                              It seems like the only time I can get POTH to connect without
                              complaining about the LST is if I set the date/time on power-up to
                              the same date/time as the PC.

                              Not sure if this helps with the patient's diagnosis??

                              Incidentally, one of the earlier respondents (Pierre de Pontierre)
                              said he'd tried to post the POTH authors, Jon Brewster and Bob
                              Denny, so maybe they'll be able to help too.

                              Thanks a ton for all your help Dick

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi Mark,
                              > > > In the past, I helped Jon Brewster in the development of POTH.
                              > > > With the current implementation, when you use the
                              button "Update
                              > > Scope
                              > > > (including Time)" with an LX200GPS, the Meade driver generates
                              an
                              > > > error when POTH tries to set SiteLatitude. And POTH does not
                              > > continue
                              > > > with Time.
                              > > > I've just posted to Bob Denny and Jon Brewster a proposal for
                              POTH
                              > > > update that would solve the problem.
                              > > >
                              > > > Clear skies,
                              > > > Pierre
                              > > >
                              > > > Pierre de Ponthiere (Belgium)
                              > > > AAVSO Member (American Association of Variable Star Observers)
                              > > > CBA Lesve Observer (Center for Backyard Astrophysics)
                              > > > CAB Member (Cercle Astronomique de Bruxelles)

                            • johansea
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                Gday Mark

                                I'm not Dick but i have been working with him on this topic.
                                The serial commands for setting/getting time ( local,UTC or LST ) do
                                not always result in a correct end result,
                                and there is no such thing as a "std LST" with Meade.
                                Also, entering data via the hbx can also end up with problems based on
                                order of entry, and time of entry.
                                Its not a simple problem to get around, but Meade effectively use two
                                internal clocks, and LST can be calculated several ways using either
                                clock, and they can get out of synch.
                                The baselines also change as the 497s use local civil as th baseline,
                                but the GPS/RCX use UTC as the baseline.
                                Also, if you do a two star align and end up more than 5' from the
                                pole, "then park", it can save screwed up data that cant be cleared by
                                normal means.
                                I have an application that will read this data out for analysis, but
                                it requires Dicks Peek patch to be loaded to function.

                                Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

                              • mark301066
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                  Thanks Andrew

                                  I'll try Dick's peek patch and let you know when it's running. I've
                                  used some of his patches before, but not sure about the peek patch.
                                  Where do I get it from ? Presumably I load it like other patches?

                                  Cheers
                                  Mark

                                  --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  portions
                                  > > > (not all characters are caught in a slow PC) of the traffic.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Like you, i see POTH complain if i try the "Update Scope"
                                  button.
                                  > > > I also see fairly happy traffic, so it does seem like a POTH
                                  issue.
                                  > > > POTH starts off asking the Autostar for its firmware version
                                  > > > and scope type (:GVF#) and then proceeds to communicate, even
                                  > > > when it says it's having that error.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > So "i see it, too". Using ASCOM v4.1 under Windows XP against
                                  > > > a 497 Autostar running 43Eg on an ETX90EC
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Something i am *not* seeing is any attempt by POTH to actually
                                  > > > -set- the Autostar... no ":S" commands of any sort. So that
                                  > > > may be the failure: it may decide it -needs- to "Update", but
                                  > > > it doesn't actually do it, so therefore gets upset when the
                                  > > > Autostar doesn't (magically?) change its idea of the current

                                • johansea
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                    Gday Mark

                                    --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

                                    > I'll try Dick's peek patch and let you know when it's running.
                                    > I've used some of his patches before, but not sure about the
                                    > peek patch.

                                    The peek section is part of the normal patches, and is normally
                                    selected by default.
                                    However, as i need to do very specific peeks for this task
                                    i need to know what firmware you have loaded ????
                                    If 43Eg we're laughing, as that is what i am currently testing with,
                                    but i will need to upload a new version of my PEC editor to fully
                                    cover it.
                                    Will wait on that till you confirm version

                                    > Where do I get it from ? Presumably I load it like other patches?

                                    Patches can be got from Mike Weasners site
                                    http://www.weasner.com/etx/autostar_info.html
                                    or better still, grab StarPatch and use it
                                    http://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm
                                    ( there's a freeware version that works better than the ASU )
                                    If you use Starpatch, i can send you a "special" patch
                                    which has enhanced peeking functions to speed up the process.

                                    However, i have been looking "closely" at the time setting used in the
                                    497, and serial commands don't seem to work properly,
                                    and time of use/order of use is critical.
                                    Ie there are two clocks and three "baseline" LSTs
                                    These LSTs get calculated different ways for different purposes
                                    As such, its easy to get them out of whack
                                    Eg "True" LST is calced from local civil time
                                    If you use :SS to set LST it ONLY changes one of the baselines
                                    so the Hbx/rs232 will say one thing but the "real" LST based on civil
                                    time will be different.
                                    Its a real ratsnest.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                      > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I'll try Dick's peek patch and let you know when it's running.
                                      > > I've used some of his patches before, but not sure about the
                                      > > peek patch.
                                      >
                                      > The peek section is part of the normal patches, and is normally
                                      > selected by default.

                                      In the patch kits, it's labeled: [PEC Editor Hook]

                                      (since what it mainly enhances is Andrew's PEC Editor functionality)

                                      have fun
                                      --dick
                                    • mark301066
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 21, 2008
                                        Hi Andrew

                                        Good news I think - I uploaded 43Eg a while ago using StarPatch,
                                        which indicates that it is patch 43Eg for Build43Eg.rom. The Autostar
                                        HBX shows 43G.

                                        Hope that helps. What next??

                                        Thanks for all your help

                                        Best regards

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 21, 2008
                                          Gday Mark

                                          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

                                          > Good news I think - I uploaded 43Eg a while ago using StarPatch,
                                          > which indicates that it is patch 43Eg for Build43Eg.rom.
                                          > The Autostar HBX shows 43G.

                                          Good. Unless you actively unchecked the peek section, it should be
                                          loaded and we can proceed

                                          > Hope that helps. What next??

                                          Go to my site and grab the Beta30 copy of my app
                                          http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea/ ( near the bottom )
                                          Start yr scope as per normal and ( using Portmon etc ) get to the
                                          point where it complains about time. Save the traffic flow.
                                          Disconnect the apps and start mine.
                                          ( My app requires absolute control, so the com port needs to be free )
                                          My app will autodetect your scope and grab the std data for display
                                          Now go to the "Setup Status" tab
                                          Hit the refresh button and it will peek a whole pile of internal time
                                          and encoder datums, as well as mimic some of the internal calcs.
                                          You can print the screen using the print button ( select text mode )
                                          From that,we can see if there is anything amiss "in the scope".

                                          Also, when you connect and grab data using Portmon
                                          the commands we need to look for are
                                          :SS Set Sidereal time
                                          :SG Set UTC/TZ
                                          :SC Set Date
                                          :SL Set Local Civil Time
                                          :SH0/:SH1 Toggle DST
                                          :SY+/:SY- Toggle DST

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 28, 2008
                                            Hi Andrew

                                            I bunked off work a bit earlier and have run your excellent program.
                                            In the files you'll see my folder Mark Ashley with 4 log files:

                                            Portmon & MyScope logs when I hit connect on POTH:
                                            - 281108 Portmon POTH Connect Log LST Delta.LOG
                                            - 281108 MyScopeLog After POTHConnect.txt

                                            (Incidentally the LST difference was something like 65000 seconds as
                                            I hadn't updated HBX time/date since yesterday evening).

                                            Portmon & MyScope logs when I hit Update Scope on POTH:
                                            - 281108 Portmon POTH Update Scope.LOG
                                            - 281108 MyScopeLog After POTHUpdateScope.txt

                                            Now the portmon logs mean very little to me. But your MyScope logs
                                            are at least English!:-) But they **seem** ok - the date/time show
                                            yesterday's date and 19 or so minutes after 8pm, which is right as
                                            the default is 8pm and I'd been mucking around for 19 minutes! No
                                            idea whether the LST is correct?

                                            Does your experienced eye spot anything odd?? Thanks for your help,
                                            mate

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 28, 2008
                                              Gday Mark

                                              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

                                              > (Incidentally the LST difference was something like 65000
                                              > seconds as I hadn't updated HBX time/date since yesterday evening).

                                              That shouldnt happen ( normally ), the error should have stayed
                                              "relatively" constant.

                                              > Now the portmon logs mean very little to me.

                                              You need to filter the data as per Dicks prev comment
                                              but its readable, so thats OK

                                              > But your MyScope logs are at least English!:-)

                                              Yep but you got the wrong ones :-(
                                              What you got helps, but i specifically listed
                                              > Now go to the "Setup Status" tab <-******
                                              There is a special tab added to do this work
                                              and it was that tab i wanted you to use.
                                              The refresh button is in the top right corner of that screen
                                              Can you rerun the test using this tab,
                                              as it is the only place i grab the internal vars.

                                              > But they **seem** ok - the date/time show
                                              > yesterday's date and 19 or so minutes after 8pm, which is right as
                                              > the default is 8pm and I'd been mucking around for 19 minutes! No
                                              > idea whether the LST is correct?
                                              > Does your experienced eye spot anything odd??

                                              Yep
                                              You ran the log at 15:39 on 28/11/2008, but,
                                              The Hbx is showing local time as 20:22:33 on 27-11-2008
                                              so you haven't set the time at the scope yet.
                                              Thus many internal calcs possibly havent been done.
                                              It also shows you unparked, so that adds a new set of lurgies.
                                              Just to be sure of this, Are you unparking, and if so,
                                              EXACTLY what state is yr HBx in?

                                              Secondly Pierres post just listed
                                              "Note also that POTH has a Quiet Mode,
                                              with Quiet Mode selected,
                                              Local Sidereal Time is calculated from your PC clock
                                              with Quiet Mode unselected, Local Sidereal Time is read from scope"

                                              You have Quiet mode selected, but POTH has requested LST ( :GS# ) in
                                              two of yr three logs????
                                              POTH Connect requested the local day/time/LST/TZ hence almost had
                                              enough data to do a valid calc ( it needs to get DST as :GG lies in a
                                              497 Autostar )
                                              POTH UpdateScope just grabbed LST only
                                              However, if POTH is comparing data to the PC clock, LST is all
                                              irrelevant if the basic local time on the HBx is wrong
                                              hence POTH should declare that as a warning first, not LST.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 28, 2008
                                                Oops, one correction ( too many Autostar versions in my head )

                                                > You have Quiet mode selected, but POTH has requested LST ( :GS# ) in
                                                > two of yr three logs????
                                                > POTH Connect requested the local day/time/LST/TZ hence almost had
                                                > enough data to do a valid calc
                                                > ( it needs to get DST as :GG lies in a 497 Autostar )

                                                :GG works as advertised for the current 497 firmware,
                                                its the ASII that is wrong
                                                Thus POTH shld have enough info to do a proper local then LST compare.

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                                                  Hi Andrew

                                                  Well I'm stupid, blind or both. I've downloaded beta 3.0 of MyScope and
                                                  CANNOT see a "Setup Status" tab. I think I've looked everywhere to no
                                                  avail.

                                                  Not to waste the time I exported something called misc data. It's in
                                                  the file section as a .csv file. Actually there are two, one when I get
                                                  the date/time error, one when I've entered the date/time on the HBX.

                                                  I've also included two more portmon logs, one with quiet mode on, one
                                                  with it off. I did try to filter as per dick's instructions but
                                                  couldn't even get that to work!!

                                                  Let me know if I'm being stupid!! :-)

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                                                    Gday Mark

                                                    --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hi Andrew
                                                    >
                                                    > Well I'm stupid, blind or both.

                                                    Nup. I have been working on an extended peek patch and my app was set
                                                    to use that. You have the std peek loaded, hence for a 497 Hbx, the
                                                    tab wasnt appearing. My goof
                                                    I have put a new exe up on my site Beta3001.
                                                    I tested this for use with the old peek and it appears to work,
                                                    so grab that and try again. It shld work this time.

                                                    >I think I've looked everywhere to no avail.

                                                    As per above, sorry bout that
                                                    It actually appears at the "connect to scope" prompt
                                                    but disappears when the peek parameters get read.

                                                    > Not to waste the time I exported something called misc data.

                                                    Thats useful but doesn't help here.
                                                    Its the 512bytes of EEProm used to store "permanent" settings.
                                                    We need to grab the working memory data for this test.

                                                    > I did try to filter as per dick's instructions but
                                                    > couldn't even get that to work!!

                                                    That bits easy.
                                                    Looking at yr logs you could use
                                                    *IRP_MJ* in the Include filter prompt
                                                    ( include the wildcard chars at each end )
                                                    Tick both Log Reads and Log Writes checkboxes
                                                    After that, you shld get a cleaner log

                                                    > Let me know if I'm being stupid!! :-)

                                                    Nup, just the fun of debugging by email.
                                                    Sometimes what i see isnt what you see.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                                                      Hi Andrew

                                                      Well at least I'm not going totally mad. I've downloaded the later
                                                      version and sure enough the tab was there! I've also filtered the
                                                      portmon logs (like most things, now you've pointed it out it's easy :-
                                                      )).

                                                      All the latest files are in a new folder Mark Ashley-02Dec08. The
                                                      names are (hopefully) self-explanatory: mostly portmon logs at
                                                      startup (with LST delta error), during update scope, when I started
                                                      MyScope and also during refresh of setup data in MyScope. Then
                                                      there's the xls file of the peeked parameters.

                                                      Just to be clear:

                                                      - I had parked the scope using Dick's 43Eg patch which allows me to
                                                      park the scope due east (so I can get my observatory roof shut!).
                                                      - When I restarted the scope, I used the HBX, press <enter> <enter>
                                                      <enter> to go for default date (last date I used scope), default time
                                                      (8pm) and default DST (currently NO)
                                                      - What I want to be able to do is use POTH to update the date and
                                                      time from my PC (which is accurately set using Dimension).

                                                      (Looking at Pierre's last post he indicates that 497# handsets don't
                                                      support update time - am I asking POTH to do something the LX90 can't
                                                      support?)

                                                      Andrew, I really appreciate your help, and others like Pierre and
                                                      Dick who've been chipping in.

                                                      Very best regards

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                                                        Gday Mark

                                                        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "mark301066" <theashleys@...> wrote:

                                                        > Hi Andrew
                                                        >
                                                        > Well at least I'm not going totally mad.

                                                        You need more time in the "noon day sun" :-)

                                                        > I've downloaded the later version and sure enough
                                                        > the tab was there!

                                                        Yep. Sorry bout that. I have too many versions running in my head
                                                        and on my PC at present, i just goofed.

                                                        > All the latest files are in a new folder Mark Ashley-02Dec08. The
                                                        > names are (hopefully) self-explanatory: mostly portmon logs at
                                                        > startup (with LST delta error), during update scope, when I started
                                                        > MyScope and also during refresh of setup data in MyScope. Then
                                                        > there's the xls file of the peeked parameters.

                                                        Just for info, you dont need to grab portmon logs for MyScope
                                                        If you just go to the logging tab at any time, you can use the convert
                                                        button, then save the log and get all the data in a more readable form.

                                                        > - When I restarted the scope, I used the HBX, press <enter> <enter>
                                                        > <enter> to go for default date (last date I used scope), default time
                                                        > (8pm) and default DST (currently NO)

                                                        Thats not good.
                                                        If yr at the Hbx, why not enter the correct data ???

                                                        > - What I want to be able to do is use POTH to update the date and
                                                        > time from my PC (which is accurately set using Dimension).

                                                        Based on Pierres post, that wont work with POTH "as is"
                                                        Secondly, the serial commands to set time after unparking are
                                                        seriously suspect in the 497.
                                                        Thirdly, even if yr PC is accurate, the time delays due to comms and
                                                        interrupts mean that you wont get a really precise time anyway.
                                                        So, just using a remote Hbx utility is probably yr best bet.

                                                        > (Looking at Pierre's last post he indicates that 497#
                                                        > handsets don't support update time -

                                                        Not true, POTH doesnt, but the std 497 does, however the timing and
                                                        order of data entry are critical, as is type of scope and fitted
                                                        accessories, ( ie its a ratsnest )

                                                        > am I asking POTH to do something the LX90 can't
                                                        > support?)

                                                        I think its more POTH doesnt support it vs the 497 HBx doesnt.
                                                        My app has a remote Hbx
                                                        If you unpark via it, then set the date time manually via it
                                                        all shld be well, but using serial commands ( after unparking ) is
                                                        probably stretching a friendship ( based on how the firmware works )

                                                        Lastly, a cursory look at yr files shows LST1 is way different to LST2
                                                        and your working Latitude is 90deg, ie you are polar.
                                                        This tells me you probably did a 2 star align and were off the pole,
                                                        hence the scope reverts to a form of alt az with a transform matrix
                                                        for misalignment errors. This can also affect the true LST vs the
                                                        working LST.
                                                        But either way, if you just hit enter, enter, enter on unpark
                                                        the Local time and LST in yr HBx will disagree with the PC and hence
                                                        flag an error.
                                                        We need to get you to a point where you can unpark the scope and set
                                                        the time, "before" you connect to POTH methinks.
                                                        Maybe Pierre can comment more on exactly what POTH does in this respect.

                                                        Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                                                          Mark:
                                                          Very interesting and hopeful! I was wondering how I got in contact
                                                          with the POTH developers - out of interest how did you post John &
                                                          Bob them as I can't see it in the group here.

                                                          Wow, I'm in here very frequently. Several posts just today :-)