Re: [ASCOM] Combined Celestron Driver Notes

  • Chris Rowland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      I have a preliminary version of a universal Celestron driver.

      It needs testing and probably developing for different types of Celestron
      scope. It seems to work with the NexStar 11 GPS.

      This is designed to work with 4 different protocols:
      NexStar GPS and i scopes. This should work with the current C hand pad with
      all the current NexStar scopes. I have tested this on V1.6 of the HC on a
      NexStar11 GPS but it needs testing on an i series scope, and the smaller
      scopes, such as the NS80, 114 and NS4GT that use the same handpad.

      NexStar 5 and 8 scopes. These are the predecessors to the i series and need
      the HC set to the RS232 mode. There is code but it hasn't been tested at
      all.

      Ultima 2000 scopes. This has also not been tested at all.

      Original GT scopes. These are the original NS 5 and 8 and maybe also the
      Tasco scopes. I believe that the Celestron scopes can have a free upgrade of
      the handpad. This hasn't been tested at all and the control of these scopes
      is doubtful.

      Are there people who wish to help with this? Ideally we need people who
      have a scope of the various types and are able to test and modify the VB
      code as required.

      The best way to proceed will probably be to pass the code to people who can
      help with this, they test and develop the code for the scopes they have and
      pass the modified code back to be merged into the main code. Most of the
      control code is separate to each scope so changes should not overlap too
      much, except for the code to identify the scope type.

      Please let me know what you thing and if you can help.

      Chris.
    • Dan Hupp <dhupp4@attbi.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Hi Chris,

        Not sure I can help at this point but I do have a Nexstar 4 with new
        HC and a Nexstar 8GPS with 1.6HC, 3.0MC standing by to run tests with
        when the clouds go away. I gave up on programming years ago, VB is
        beyond my skills but I am not afraid to alpha test other folks
        stuff.

        Dan Hupp
      • Ray St.Denis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2003
          Hi Chris, count me in on helping develop and test the new ASCOM
          driver. I'm all setup with VB6SP4 and have all of the ASCOM SDK installed
          so send me what you have already and we'll work from there.
          I have an N8GPS (1.6,4.3) so I can test that side of things and know
          someone with a N80GT, N114 and N5i that I think will help in testing.

          Take care,

          Ray St.Denis

          At 06:30 PM 03/01/2003, you wrote:
          >I have a preliminary version of a universal Celestron driver.
          >
          >It needs testing and probably developing for different types of Celestron
          >scope. It seems to work with the NexStar 11 GPS.
          >
          >This is designed to work with 4 different protocols:
          >NexStar GPS and i scopes. This should work with the current C hand pad with
          >all the current NexStar scopes. I have tested this on V1.6 of the HC on a
          >NexStar11 GPS but it needs testing on an i series scope, and the smaller
          >scopes, such as the NS80, 114 and NS4GT that use the same handpad.
          >
          >NexStar 5 and 8 scopes. These are the predecessors to the i series and need
          >the HC set to the RS232 mode. There is code but it hasn't been tested at
          >all.
          >
          >Ultima 2000 scopes. This has also not been tested at all.
          >
          >Original GT scopes. These are the original NS 5 and 8 and maybe also the
          >Tasco scopes. I believe that the Celestron scopes can have a free upgrade of
          >the handpad. This hasn't been tested at all and the control of these scopes
          >is doubtful.
          >
          >Are there people who wish to help with this? Ideally we need people who
          >have a scope of the various types and are able to test and modify the VB
          >code as required.
          >
          >The best way to proceed will probably be to pass the code to people who can
          >help with this, they test and develop the code for the scopes they have and
          >pass the modified code back to be merged into the main code. Most of the
          >control code is separate to each scope so changes should not overlap too
          >much, except for the code to identify the scope type.
          >
          >Please let me know what you thing and if you can help.
          >
          >Chris.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Ray St.Denis Busitech www.Busitech.com
          Test Drive the new models...
          Quality Window v5.0 http://www.busitech.com/qwindow.htm
          QWXL v2.2 http://www.busitech.com/qwxl.htm
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2003
            Go guys go!!! And if you're going to return SiderealTime, don't do a
            bonehead like me... return it in hours :-)))

            -- Bob

          • scope_sapiens <chris_group_mail@dsl.pipe
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@d...> wrote:
              > Go guys go!!! And if you're going to return SiderealTime, don't do a
              > bonehead like me... return it in hours :-)))

              The Telescope.chm file doesn't specify the units for the Sidereal
              time.

              I suggested disabling the Sidereal time function in the Celestron
              driver (so it raises the
              not implemented exception) but haven't had any feedback.

              I think this is a good idea because:
              It isn't available from the scope.
              Calculating it requires the site longitude and we don't have that.

              Chris.