RE: [ASCOM] Re: Developing for ASCOM and 64-bit compatibility

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
      Well, that's the nice thing about ClickOnce deployments. Install it once
      and it's always up to date. (assuming an internet connection, of
      course). Wouldn't have helped in this situation though because the
      templates still require manual installation by the developer.
      --T.

      On
      > Behalf Of Bob Denny
      > Sent: 01 August 2008 01:20
      > To: ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [ASCOM] Re: Developing for ASCOM and 64-bit compatibility
      >
      > > Bob, is it possible to modify the driver templates to make this
      > setting?
      > > Otherwise we'll have a lot of drivers that don't work on x64
      systems.

      > Yes, but since the templates are part of the Platform, and I don't
      have
      > the
      > bandwidth (or the patience) to release another Platform right now,
      > it'll have to
      > wait. I suppose I could put a template update on the ASCOm site, but
      > who would
      > actually see it? At a minimum, I should put a note into the Developer
      > section on
      > this, but again, who would actually see it? :-(((
      >
      > The problem with a Platform release is the "I just upgraded to
      Platform

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
        Prod is my middle name! LOL
        A couple of hours! Ouch. I thought it would only take a couple of
        minutes. I guess I should know by now how these things eat up time.
        Sorry to inflict that on you, but I think it will be worth it to save a
        lot of compatibility problems as 64-bit becomes ever more mainstream.
        --T.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
          You said:
          > Prod is my middle name! LOL
          > A couple of hours! Ouch. I thought it would only take a couple of
          > minutes. I guess I should know by now how these things eat up time.
          > Sorry to inflict that on you, but I think it will be worth it to save a
          > lot of compatibility problems as 64-bit becomes ever more mainstream.

          Oh yeah, those templates are extremely time-consuming. You wouldn't believe how
          long it took to make and test them all in the first place. There are SO MANY
          little things that have to be validated and tested. I made up a checklist for
          myself. At least VS2005 was a quantum-leap in ease of making and deploying
          templates compared to VS2003!!!