Feather Touch Motorized Focuser communication problem

  • Kisik Kwon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi everyone.

      My friend met a serious problem and asked me to solve it.
      He bought FTF3545 Focuser some days before.
      He tried to connect to focuser with MaxIm DL.
      But he could not connect to it.

      I advised to him use HHD Serial Port Monitor and received this file
      from him.

      File Link : http://home.pusan.ac.kr/~orion96/ftp/files/99504.htm

      I can't find any document about Feather Touch Focuser protocol.
      So I'm not sure but I think that 0xf3 is tail of the command.
      When send 0xf3 to the focuser, the focuser return its position data
      in ASCII string.

      But I can't find any rules from focuser's anser data.
      There's no header or tail.

      He uses an USB to RS232 cable.
      I tell him to change to new cable and try to test again.

      What is your opinon on this problem?

      Thank you for reading. :-)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        Have you contacted Starlight Instruments (the maker of FeatherTouch)? It might
        be useful to ask them about using their focuser with MaxIm DL. The serial trace
        might be useful to them.

        -- Bob

        You said:
        > Hi everyone.
        >
        > My friend met a serious problem and asked me to solve it.
        > He bought FTF3545 Focuser some days before.
        > He tried to connect to focuser with MaxIm DL.
        > But he could not connect to it.
        >
        > I advised to him use HHD Serial Port Monitor and received this file
        > from him.
        >
        > File Link : http://home.pusan.ac.kr/~orion96/ftp/files/99504.htm
        >
        > I can't find any document about Feather Touch Focuser protocol.
        > So I'm not sure but I think that 0xf3 is tail of the command.
        > When send 0xf3 to the focuser, the focuser return its position data
        > in ASCII string.
        >
        > But I can't find any rules from focuser's anser data.
        > There's no header or tail.
        >
        > He uses an USB to RS232 cable.
        > I tell him to change to new cable and try to test again.
        >
        > What is your opinon on this problem?
        >
        > Thank you for reading. :-)
      • Larry Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
          I will ask what may be the obvious. Did he install the ASCOM
          FeatherTouch driver from the Starlight Instruments website? I have
          the same focuser and have no problems.

          Larry

          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Kisik Kwon" <orion96@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone.
          >
          > My friend met a serious problem and asked me to solve it.
          > He bought FTF3545 Focuser some days before.
          > He tried to connect to focuser with MaxIm DL.
          > But he could not connect to it.
          >
          > I advised to him use HHD Serial Port Monitor and received this file
          > from him.
          >
          > File Link : http://home.pusan.ac.kr/~orion96/ftp/files/99504.htm
          >
          > I can't find any document about Feather Touch Focuser protocol.
          > So I'm not sure but I think that 0xf3 is tail of the command.
          > When send 0xf3 to the focuser, the focuser return its position data
          > in ASCII string.
          >
          > But I can't find any rules from focuser's anser data.
          > There's no header or tail.
          >
          > He uses an USB to RS232 cable.
          > I tell him to change to new cable and try to test again.
          >
          > What is your opinon on this problem?
          >
          > Thank you for reading. :-)

        • R Hamlett
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
            > I will ask what may be the obvious. Did he install the ASCOM
            > FeatherTouch driver from the Starlight Instruments website? I have
            > the same focuser and have no problems.
            >
            > Larry
            Try:
            <http://download.ascom-standards.org/drivers/FeatherTouch(4.0.5)Setup.exe>

            Best Wishes

            > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Kisik Kwon" <orion96@...> wrote:
            >> Hi everyone.
            >>
            >> My friend met a serious problem and asked me to solve it.
            >> He bought FTF3545 Focuser some days before.
            >> He tried to connect to focuser with MaxIm DL.
            >> But he could not connect to it.
            >>
            >> I advised to him use HHD Serial Port Monitor and received this file
            >> from him.
            >>
            >> File Link : http://home.pusan.ac.kr/~orion96/ftp/files/99504.htm
            >>
            >> I can't find any document about Feather Touch Focuser protocol.
            >> So I'm not sure but I think that 0xf3 is tail of the command.
            >> When send 0xf3 to the focuser, the focuser return its position data
            >> in ASCII string.
            >>
            >> But I can't find any rules from focuser's anser data.
            >> There's no header or tail.
            >>
            >> He uses an USB to RS232 cable.
            >> I tell him to change to new cable and try to test again.
            >>
            >> What is your opinon on this problem?
            >>
            >> Thank you for reading. :-)
          • Larry Phillips
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
              There is a newer version on the Starlight Instruments website and
              should be used in lieu of the one on the ASCOM site.

              Larry

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
                OH... I didn't know that. I have changed the ASCOM listing to point to the
                Starlight download site and that will solve THAT problem!

                -- Bob

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
                  Hi guys.
                  Thank you for reply.
                  I am so busy because of my job, so I read your answers today.

                  He installed ASCOM Flatfor version 4 either 5.
                  And installed newest Feather Touch Focus Driver from Starlight
                  Instruments website.

                  I sent an email to Starlight Instruments, and waiting for the reply.
                  If I solve this problem, I will post about it.

                  Thank you.