Can't connect to AP600E GTO

  • bbenamati
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
      Hi folks,

      I've got a problem that I'm not able to get past here... I've recently
      acquired an AP600E GTO CP2 (D series chip) and can't get it to link. I
      can link directly with PulseGuide and through The Sky using the Sky's
      driver, but if I try to use MaxPoint or PEMPro, the ASCOM driver won't
      connect (keeps showing "No Mount").

      I've recently updated to ASCOM v5a and installed the AP driver 1.4.25,
      but no dice...

      Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

      Thanks,
      Bob
    • waelchlih
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2008
        Bob,

        Having exactly the same setup and the same ASCOM installation I
        encountered no problems with pempro except that it seems that pempro
        gives reversed information about polar axis misalignement in altitude
        when using the polar align wizard.

        I do not have any problems to connect to the mount.

        Clear Skies - and good luck solving your problem.

        Hansjoerg

        --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "bbenamati" <bobbenamati@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I've got a problem that I'm not able to get past here... I've recently
        > acquired an AP600E GTO CP2 (D series chip) and can't get it to link. I
        > can link directly with PulseGuide and through The Sky using the Sky's
        > driver, but if I try to use MaxPoint or PEMPro, the ASCOM driver won't
        > connect (keeps showing "No Mount").
        >
        > I've recently updated to ASCOM v5a and installed the AP driver 1.4.25,
        > but no dice...
        >
        > Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Bob

      • Bob Benamati
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2008
          Thanks, Hansjoerg!  I did get everything to work (finally) after a number of uninstall/reinstalls and some "luck"...  Just as I was about to give up, it suddenly connected and has worked ever since.  Of course, the clouds have socked me in since so I haven't had a chance to really use things.

          Interesting about the reversal issue with PEMPro, though--thanks for that advice!  I'll definitely pay attention to that when I finally get to put it through its paces!

          Out of curiosity, what kind of PE performance have you had with the 600?  I really haven't seen much posted about the mount...  I have a G11/Gemini that's done well over the years, but am hoping that the 600 will prove to be an improvement.

          Take care,
          Bob

          Having exactly the same setup and the same ASCOM installation I
          encountered no problems with pempro except that it seems that pempro
          gives reversed information about polar axis misalignement in altitude
          when using the polar align wizard.

          I do not have any problems to connect to the mount.

          Clear Skies - and good luck solving your problem.

          Hansjoerg

          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com, "bbenamati" <bobbenamati@ ...> wrote:

          > Hi folks,
          >
          > I've got a problem that I'm not able to get past here... I've recently
          > acquired an AP600E GTO CP2 (D series chip) and can't get it to link. I
          > can link directly with PulseGuide and through The Sky using the Sky's
          > driver, but if I try to use MaxPoint or PEMPro, the ASCOM driver won't
          > connect (keeps showing "No Mount").
          >
          > I've recently updated to ASCOM v5a and installed the AP driver 1.4.25,
          > but no dice...
          >
          > Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Bob

        • waelchlih
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
            Hi Bob

            Sorry - was a bit absent from the group(s) the last few weeks.

            When I did my last PemPro recording it was under suboptimal
            circumstances and seeing was not too god. But as I remember the PE of
            my 600 was not as good as I expected it to be. Must have been around
            +/- 7.5 arc seconds. But the curve is steadily and does not show any
            sharp peaks. Can easily be guided out. After recording the remaining
            error was +/- 3.5 arc seconds.

            Have you measured yours already?

            Clear Skies
            Hansjoerg

            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Benamati" <bobbenamati@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Hansjoerg! I did get everything to work (finally) after a
            number of uninstall/reinstalls and some "luck"... Just as I was about
            to give up, it suddenly connected and has worked ever since. Of
            course, the clouds have socked me in since so I haven't had a chance
            to really use things.

            > Interesting about the reversal issue with PEMPro, though--thanks for
            that advice! I'll definitely pay attention to that when I finally get
            to put it through its paces!

            > Out of curiosity, what kind of PE performance have you had with the
            600? I really haven't seen much posted about the mount... I have a
            G11/Gemini that's done well over the years, but am hoping that the 600
            will prove to be an improvement.

            > Take care,
            > Bob
            >
            > www.pennastroimaging.com

          • Bob Benamati
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
              Hi Hansjoerg,

              Thanks for the response!  Yes, actually I have had a few opportunities.  It's very interesting, actually, as I've had results nearly identical to yours!  I've measured a total PE of around 17" through a couple of runs (done 3 times, running 6 worm cycles for each).  I have had some pretty good success, and got it down to about +/- 3" as well.

              The raw PE, interestingly, is very low for about 4 minutes of the cycle, but then has a steady, rather linear increase for almost 2 minutes, and then creeps back down to near the starting position at the end of the cycle.  Almost as if the worm slows considerably, as the error is completely 1-directional and consistent, having a 1-worm period cycle.  Fortunately, it's smooth as well, with no rapid swings, so PEC's done a good job of keeping up.  I think that if I had more time to get some additional runs and refine, I feel pretty confident that I can get it even lower, but at my image scale (1.4") and the effective guiding, I'm just taking some time to actually enjoy it for a while.  ;-)

              That is, until my new AP900 gets here in the next month or so!  :-))

              One thing that I did find useful, though, is to use 1x guiding speed vs. 0.5 or 0.25.  That seemed to significantly reduce my guiding errors, with RMS's in the 0.15 to 0.2 range, which was better than 1/2 of what I was getting on the same target at 0.5x.