RE: [ASCOM] Intro and question

  • Peter Richens
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hi Leon

      Welcome to the group.

      I have not a clue about the requirements of the Ascom driver and only just understand programming languages but have programmed several different Home Automation systems - so Min is more questions than answers.

      What are you using to control the dome, is it a round steerable type or simply an opening roof?
      It's several years until I do anything at home but like the idea of having it all computer controlled with the idea that I could run it remotely via the Web or Ethernet deepening on just how remote.

      Regards
      Peter Richens - VK4FSD
      Brisbane Australia

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
        Leon --

        > My question is regarding the availability of the source code for
        > the "dome simulator" to use as a guide. I am a little unclear about
        > where to setup the Serial Helper object, when/where to make calls to
        > seend and receive commands from the serial port, etc..

        Well the simulator is not written in .NET, and it does no serial I/O anyway :-))
        It is loaded with code to simulate a real dome controller, all of which will
        just serve to confuse.

        I'm not sure what you mean by "where" ... The serial helper should be set up
        when your driver is created (constructor) and its object handle saved in an
        instance variable. That way, it's always there as long as your driver is active.

        -- Bob
      • SocalAstro
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
          Hi Peter,

          Mine is a roll-off roff. It uses a rack and pinion gear train. The
          pinion is driven by by a DC gearmotor.

          -Leon
          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Richens" <prichens@...>

          Talk@yahoogroups.com]On
          > Behalf Of Leo
          > Sent: Friday, 29 February 2008 1:57 AM
          > To: ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [ASCOM] Intro and question
          >

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I am in the process of automating my observatory and have decided
          > that an ASCOM driver for my roll-off roof will provide me the
          > flexibility needed to interface it to existing automamtion
          software.

          > The roof controller will have RS232 communication capability with
          the
          > host PC. I have been away from writing code for quite some time
          now
          > and quickly learning that things have progressed quite a bit in
          the
          > past 5-8 years :-)
          >
          > I have MS Visual Studio 2008. I installed the driver templates and
          > have briefly looked though the Visual Basic dome template.
          >
          > My question is regarding the availability of the source code for
          > the "dome simulator" to use as a guide. I am a little unclear
          about
          > where to setup the Serial Helper object, when/where to make calls
          > seend and receive commands from the serial port, etc..
          >
          > I'm sure I will have quite a few questions as I get further
          along, so
          > please forgive in advance :-)
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Leon Aslan

        • SocalAstro
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
            Thanks for the reply Bob.

            I think my asking the question was a bit premature. I will wait until
            I have spent time with the template before my next one :-) I am
            making small levels of progress.

            I still think sample source code from an actual driver would go a
            long way in helping those getting started with ASCOM and .NET
            development; just my $.02.

            Clear skies,
            Leon

            --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:

            > Leon --
            >
            > > My question is regarding the availability of the source code for
            > > the "dome simulator" to use as a guide. I am a little unclear
            about
            > > where to setup the Serial Helper object, when/where to make calls
            > > seend and receive commands from the serial port, etc..
            >
            > Well the simulator is not written in .NET, and it does no serial
            I/O anyway :-))
            > It is loaded with code to simulate a real dome controller, all of
            which will
            > just serve to confuse.
            >
            > I'm not sure what you mean by "where" ... The serial helper should
            be set up
            > when your driver is created (constructor) and its object handle
            saved in an
            > instance variable. That way, it's always there as long as your
            driver is active.

            > -- Bob

          • Stan Ralph
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
              I have a driver and h/w available at FosterSystems.com.

              Stan Ralph

              --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "SocalAstro" <leon@...> wrote:

              > Hi Peter,
              >
              > Mine is a roll-off roff. It uses a rack and pinion gear train. The
              > pinion is driven by by a DC gearmotor.
              >
              > -Leon
              > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Richens" <prichens@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Leon
              > >
              > > Welcome to the group.
              > >
              > > I have not a clue about the requirements of the Ascom driver and
              > only just
              > > understand programming languages but have programmed several
              > different Home
              > > Automation systems - so Min is more questions than answers.
              > >
              > > What are you using to control the dome, is it a round steerable
              > type or
              > > simply an opening roof?
              > > It's several years until I do anything at home but like the idea
              of
              > having
              > > it all computer controlled with the idea that I could run it
              > remotely via
              > > the Web or Ethernet deepening on just how remote.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > > Peter Richens - VK4FSD
              > > Brisbane Australia

            • Chris Rowland
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
                SocalAstro wrote:
                > Thanks for the reply Bob.
                >
                > I think my asking the question was a bit premature. I will wait until
                > I have spent time with the template before my next one :-) I am
                > making small levels of progress.
                >
                > I still think sample source code from an actual driver would go a
                > long way in helping those getting started with ASCOM and .NET
                > development; just my $.02.

                Try here:
                http://www.dppobservatory.net/DomeAutomation/DomeDriver.htm
                It is a dome driver based on an easily available kit.

                Chris

                > Clear skies,
                > Leon
                >
                > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Bob Denny <rdenny@...> wrote:
                >> Leon --
                >>
                >>> My question is regarding the availability of the source code for
                >>> the "dome simulator" to use as a guide. I am a little unclear
                > about
                >>> where to setup the Serial Helper object, when/where to make calls
                >>> seend and receive commands from the serial port, etc..
                >> Well the simulator is not written in .NET, and it does no serial
                > I/O anyway :-))
                >> It is loaded with code to simulate a real dome controller, all of
                > which will
                >> just serve to confuse.
                >>
                >> I'm not sure what you mean by "where" ... The serial helper should
                > be set up
                >> when your driver is created (constructor) and its object handle
                > saved in an
                >> instance variable. That way, it's always there as long as your
                > driver is active.
                >> -- Bob

                > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE ACCOUNT YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

              • Peter Richens
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Hi Leon

                  Thanks for that part of the jigsaw but what are you using to control the motor, as in the electronics control?

                  Regards
                  Peter Richens - VK4FSD
                  Brisbane Australia