NexStar 80 driver??

  • Joe Shuster
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hello,

      I'm a recent lurker, long time programmer, ASCOM newbie. I need some help.

      I'm trying to use the ASCOM interface in Cartes du Ciel to talk to my
      NexStars: N5 and N80. The N5 driver works just fine. However, there is no
      direct N80 driver, but according to the NexStar manual, there is no command
      set difference between the N80 and the N114 (for which there IS a driver).

      When I tried using the 114 driver, the message came back saying "There isn't
      a 114 attached". I told my telescope to pretend to be a 114 (via the hc) and
      then I was able to connect. Of course, the commands pointed the telescope to
      the wrong spot, because the 114 motors and arms are at different angles
      compared to the 80.

      I was also able to use another program that successfully talked directly to
      the N80 (not through ASCOM), so I feel confident that the telescope is ok,
      the cable is ok and the computer is ok.

      I looked in the .cls file, but I didn't see anything that would tell me why
      the N80 was rejected but the N114 was accepted. I can't figure out how the
      driver can decide whether there's a N114, N80 or N60 at the other end of the
      serial cable. Can anyone give me a hint why the 114 driver wouldn't won't
      work with my 80? Any other special settings/parameters I can try?

      TIA.

      Joe Shuster -- jshuster42@...