Re: [ASCOM] POTH Handset question

  • Kip Pauls
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
      Hmmm shouldn't take that long... Just as long as the
      exposure... if you have it set for 2 sec then you need
      to wait 2 sec...

      Gosh if you using poth you shouldn't have to
      disconnect... Strange...

      I'll have to check my CdC.

      Kip
      --- mark301066 <theashleys@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Kip
      >
      > I was hitting the STOP button in PHD and then within
      > a couple of seconds
      > trying to connect Cartes du Ciel to slew to next
      > target, but it couldn't
      > connect.
      >
      > Are you saying if I wait a bit longer (10s, 30s,
      > >60s) the COM port will
      > be freed up by PHD and available to other programs?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Mark
      >

      > --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Kip Pauls
      > <kippauls@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mark...
      > >
      > > IMHO.. Let me ask this... are you stopping the
      > guiding
      > > process before moving the scope... there is a bit
      > of
      > > delay when stopping phd... Perhaps you might be
      > > rushing it... Got to wait a bit...
      > >

      > > Kip
      > >
      > > Clear Skies and Calm Winds!!!
      > >
      > > "The WIKI Dude"
      > >
      > > Check out the wiki for tutorials on Nebulosity and
      > PHD
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/2qes99

      Kip

      Clear Skies and Calm Winds!!!

      "The WIKI Dude"

      Check out the wiki for tutorials on Nebulosity and PHD

      http://tinyurl.com/2qes99
    • mark301066
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
        Hi Kip

        I guess I'm not being very clear, everything's fine with POTH, PHD and
        CDC share the COM port fine. However, when connecting directly, PHD
        seemed to keep control of the COM port and CDC couldn't get it back. I
        was using 3s exposures (faint guide target, actually 8PTuttle) but even
        after 10s waiting still no luck re-connecting CDC. Which is why I
        switched to POTH, on the advice earlier in the thread. All works fine
        now....except the scope controller which ASCOM provides is pretty
        rudimentary, can't even slew/centre the scope. So now I'm looking how to
        solve that - all I want is something like the CDC telescope controller
        when using Meade protocol. Any ideas?

        Thanks for your help

      • Chris Rowland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          Hi Mark,

          The ASCOM protocol doesn't have movement buttons.

          There are several ways this could be solved, all need changes to the
          Meade driver:
          A window could be added to the driver, this contains the buttons and
          sends the commands to the scope.
          The MoveAxis command could be added to the Meade driver and an ASCOM
          application written to control them. This would work with any driver
          that had he MoveAxis command implemented.

          The Celestron driver has both a HC control window and the MoveAxis
          command so another option is to replace your mount with a Celestron one
          - perhaps we'd better not go there :-)

          Chris