Re: Wrong tracking rate error

  • autostaretx
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2007
      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "cradle_observatory"
      <cradle_observatory@...> wrote:

      > DEAR ALL
      > I have the following set up:
      >
      > - Meade LX200GPS 14" with Autostar II ver. 4.2G (Dick's patch version)
      > - Ascom 4.1 with updated Meade driver.
      > - Starry Night Pro v 4.05.
      > - Scope is mounted in Alt/Az
      >
      > I am having the following problem:
      > - After connecting to the scope from Starry Night, it connects OK,
      > and places the red crosshair/marking on the current pointing
      > position. When I click on a different object to slew to, I get the
      > error message...."Wrong tracking rate" on the computer......

      The actual error message is "Wrong Tracking State" (not "rate").

      The Meade driver will emit that if it thinks you are not
      Tracking, and/or perhaps if it thinks you should be in Polar
      instead of Alt/Az mounting.

      The code is in the Telescope.cls file, and is the final test
      in this procedure:
      ----------------
      ' CheckConnected() - Raise an error if the scope is not connected
      '
      Private Sub CheckConnected(Park As Boolean, Track As Boolean, Asleep
      As Boolean)

      If Not IsConnected(devTelescope) Then _
      Err.Raise SCODE_NOT_CONNECTED, ERR_SOURCE, MSG_NOT_CONNECTED

      ' only allow if scope needed to be awake
      If Asleep And g_bAsleep Then _
      Err.Raise SCODE_ASLEEP, ERR_SOURCE, MSG_ASLEEP

      ' Global error checking for all slews and syncs
      If Park And m_bParked Then _
      Err.Raise SCODE_PARKED, ERR_SOURCE, MSG_PARKED

      ' tracking checks for alt/az vs equ commands
      If Track <> m_bTracking Then _
      Err.Raise SCODE_WRONG_TRACKING, ERR_SOURCE, MSG_WRONG_TRACKING

      End Sub
      ------------------

      You should make sure your scope -is- tracking (GoTo a star from
      the keypad, perhaps?) and if that doesn't satify it, try setting
      it to Polar instead of Alt/Az and see if there's an effect.

      have fun
      --dick
    • cradle_observatory
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
        DICK
        I am sorry, I am unfortunately not familiar with the detail in
        your message below...the code details. I can confirm that you are
        correct, it is "wrong tracking state" Also, I played around (during
        the day) and the "wrong tracking state" only appears when I tick
        the "auto unpark/track" tick box. When I untick it, the command is
        actioned by the scope, although it appears things are a bit wierd,
        left is up, right is down, etc....but it could be that I was not
        aligned...

        Also, I can also confirm that the scope was tracking and aligned
        originally with my 1st post. It was tracking for more than 10 minutes
        before I started playing around with SNP 4.05.

        Any more help or ideas will be appreciated.

        Regards
        Paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          > I am sorry, I am unfortunately not familiar with the detail in
          > your message below...the code details.

          OK, what's happening is that somehow Starry Night is turning off the sidereal
          tracking before it tries to slew your Alt-Az mount. Weird. Contact them as they
          are responsible for what things are done TO the telescope, the driver is only
          responsible for the HOW they are done, if you get my meaning...

          -- Bob
        • cradle_observatory
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
            BOB
            Thanks for the reply and help as it now makes sense. Is it possible
            to "undo" the current meade driver that is currently on the ascom site
            as the main platform 4.1 driver use to work before for me without
            hasslles....?

            I'll appreciate your help on this.
            Regards
            Paul