Problem installing ASCOM drivers under Vista

  • J. Kevin Erwin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 8:13 AM
      In Vista, when I install Starry Night with ASCOM, or ASCOM drivers
      separately, during the installation I get an error message that
      says "can't open C:\Windows\system32\MSVBVM60.dll", and the
      installation fails.

      I have tried installing with administrative priviledges, in XP SP2
      mode, and with User Account Control turned off, but with no success.

      How can I get around this?

      thanks! Kevin
    • Phillip
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7 9:01 AM
        Standalone (ASCOM 4.1) install on Vista Ultimate, same error. Have
        tried taking ownership of files, no help. This did install on Home
        Premium at least once. Anyone?

        Phillip

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8 8:14 PM
          J. Kevin Erwin:
          > In Vista, when I install Starry Night with ASCOM, or ASCOM drivers
          > separately, during the installation I get an error message that
          > says "can't open C:\Windows\system32\MSVBVM60.dll", and the
          > installation fails.

          Does the file exist? The 4.1 installer came out before Vista, by the way. A 5.0
          installer is in the works.

          -- Bob
        • Phillip
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9 9:09 AM
            Bob,

            In my case, yes. version 6.0.97.97 dated 11/2/2006 3:46 AM
            (Vista Ultimate)

            I set ascom41.exe to XP (SP2) compatibility mode and "run
            as administrator".

            C:\Windows\system32\MSVBVM60.dll
            System/Administrators/Users had both "read & execute" and
            "read" permissions; Trusted Installer has all permissions.
            Owner was TrustedInstaller. Had to give ownership to
            Administrators to set Administrators to full control.
            (I am running the quasi-administrator user, not regular user.)

            Then, C:\Windows\system32\MSVCRT.dll could not be opened.
            Again, changed ownership to Administrators and set full control
            for Administrators.

            Installation success! None of this was necessary for installation
            when I was running Vista Home Premium. Can you tell that I have
            been STUDYING Vista?

            Phillip

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9 4:55 PM
              Congratulations! And yes, it's clear you had to dive into Vista's "enhanced"
              permissions. You're not alone...

              -- Bob

              Phillip: