Re: [ANN] ASCOM Platform 5.0 Alpha 4

  • Peter Simpson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi Bob,

      I've just installed Alpha 4 over the top of Alpha 3 and got an error
      message near the end after I had confirmed that I wanted the existing
      template files tobe over written. It was titled Rotator Simulator and
      said "Failed to load served COM class assembly
      ASCOM.Simulator.Rotator.dll - Could not load file or assembly..... The
      system couldn't find the file specified"

      Regards, Peter
    • Peter Simpson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hi Bob,

        One other observation is about the Helper, Helper 2 and Master .NET
        interfaces. When I create a project from the new templates the
        references created by the templates are showing as bad, the relevant
        files cannot be found.

        If I remove the bad references created by the template and then put them
        back in through the Add button they go in properly but the path fields
        point into my project e.g.
        Projects\MI250\MI250Scope\bin\debug\Interop.ASCOM.Helper.dll. ASCOM

        In Alpha 3 the references pointed into
        C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ASCOM.Helper\... etc. ASCOM.Exceptions
        still looks fine though.

        Regards, Peter
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
          Peter --

          Peter Simpson:
          > I've just installed Alpha 4 over the top of Alpha 3 and got an error
          > message near the end after I had confirmed that I wanted the existing
          > template files tobe over written. It was titled Rotator Simulator and
          > said "Failed to load served COM class assembly
          > ASCOM.Simulator.Rotator.dll - Could not load file or assembly..... The
          > system couldn't find the file specified"

          Hmm. I can't repro that one. Check to see that C:\Program Files\Common
          Files\ASCOM\Rotator\RotatorSimulatorServedClasses folder exists, and that it
          contains ASCOM.Simulator.Rotator.dll. This may be related to your next problem
          (with the Helper master interface)...

          > One other observation is about the Helper, Helper 2 and Master .NET
          > interfaces. When I create a project from the new templates the
          > references created by the templates are showing as bad, the relevant
          > files cannot be found.

          That shouldn't have happened, but...

          > If I remove the bad references created by the template and then put them
          > back in through the Add button they go in properly but the path fields
          > point into my project e.g.
          > Projects\MI250\MI250Scope\bin\debug\Interop.ASCOM.Helper.dll. ASCOM

          If you referenced Helper directly, then athat's what will happen. If you
          Reference "ASCOM Helper interface for .NET" it should come from the GAC (and be
          the CORRECT interface!). You currently have a private Interop assembly build
          from the Helper.exe (probably).

          OK. Platform Alpha 4 may be extremely short lived if those references aren't
          working. I have no clue why that would be since the HELPER interfaces haven't
          been touched since Alpha 1. Probably some Windows Installer bear trap (I've
          found SO MANY already).

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
            I've got the same error here - installing alpha 4 over alpha 3. The
            error occurs after all the project templates are installed.
            --Tim

            > I've just installed Alpha 4 over the top of Alpha 3 and got an error
            > message near the end after I had confirmed that I wanted the existing
            > template files tobe over written. It was titled Rotator Simulator and
            > said "Failed to load served COM class assembly
            > ASCOM.Simulator.Rotator.dll - Could not load file or assembly..... The
            > system couldn't find the file specified"

            Hmm. I can't repro that one. Check to see that C:\Program Files\Common
            Files\ASCOM\Rotator\RotatorSimulatorServedClasses folder exists, and
            that it
            contains ASCOM.Simulator.Rotator.dll. This may be related to your next
            problem
            (with the Helper master interface)...

            > One other observation is about the Helper, Helper 2 and Master .NET
            > interfaces. When I create a project from the new templates the
            > references created by the templates are showing as bad, the relevant
            > files cannot be found.

            That shouldn't have happened, but...

            > If I remove the bad references created by the template and then put
            them
            > back in through the Add button they go in properly but the path fields
            > point into my project e.g.
            > Projects\MI250\MI250Scope\bin\debug\Interop.ASCOM.Helper.dll. ASCOM

            If you referenced Helper directly, then athat's what will happen. If you
            Reference "ASCOM Helper interface for .NET" it should come from the GAC
            (and be
            the CORRECT interface!). You currently have a private Interop assembly
            build
            from the Helper.exe (probably).

            OK. Platform Alpha 4 may be extremely short lived if those references
            aren't
            working. I have no clue why that would be since the HELPER interfaces
            haven't
            been touched since Alpha 1. Probably some Windows Installer bear trap
            (I've
            found SO MANY already).

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE ACCOUNT YOU USED
            TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
              Further --

              I cannot make the Rotator Sim fail during installation or thereafter. I just
              completely uninstalled alpha 4, downloaded the alpha 4 MSI from the ASCOM site
              (just in case...), and installed it. No problems observed here.

              What you guys are seeing during installation is the (C# installer-class)
              installer custom action running "RotatorSim.exe /register", and RotatorSimulator
              failing for the reason given.

              Tim -- does the Rotator Simulator run (by hand, from the Start Menu) now?

              And I've just made Telescope, Rotator, Dome, and Focuser projects from the C#
              templates. I also re-checked the Sample Local Server I sent to you and without
              touching it, the references to Helper and Helper 2 are proper (GAC). All
              references to Helper are valid. I am running with Alpha 4 installed from the MSI.

              Sheesh... I cant repro either of your problems.

              Tim -- are you having any problems with the Helper references you have?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
                OK, apparently this problem only occurs when installing Alpha 4 over Alpha 3. I
                will try to figure out why. For now, if you have the problem, please uninstall
                whatever Platform alpha you have, then install alpha 4. It should install
                without errors.

                Peter, your reference problem may be related too... Be sure to delete the
                reference you have to Helper that created the Interop.xxx assembly and
                re-reference to ASCOM Helper Interfaces for .NET.

                I need to add that to the ReadMe in the new Developer section, along with info
                on how to reference the master interfaces from VB56, C++ and of course .NET.

                -- Bob
              • Chris Rowland
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
                  I uninstalled Alpha 3, then installed Alpha 4 and don't get errors but
                  do get messages asking if I want to overwrite the various template zip
                  files (I did).

                  However I added code in the setup dialog to set a com port and get the
                  error "DriverID ASCOM.MouseDome.Dome is not registered.

                  This is generated by the code:
                  Private Sub OK_Button_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
                  As System.EventArgs) Handles OK_Button.Click
                  Dim prof As New ASCOM.Helper.Profile

                  prof.WriteValue("ASCOM.MouseDome.Dome", "ComPort",
                  CStr(cmboComPort.SelectedIndex + 1))
                  Me.DialogResult = System.Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK
                  Me.Close()
                  End Sub

                  There is a HKLM\SOFTWARE\ASCOM\Dome Drivers\ASCOM.MouseDome.Dome key
                  with a default of "MouseDome Dome" in the registry. I thought this
                  counted as registering.

                  I've done nothing complex with the project, except adding the combo box
                  and a label to the SetupDialogForm and populated the combo box with COM1
                  to COM16

                  If this is a VB.NET issue only then would it help if I moved to C#? The
                  benefits of VB seem to be much less with .NET, all the good bits of VB
                  seem to have been removed while all the complexities seem to have been
                  left. I can easily remember to add semi colons to the end of each line :-)

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
                    Chris Rowland:
                    > I uninstalled Alpha 3, then installed Alpha 4 and don't get errors but
                    > do get messages asking if I want to overwrite the various template zip
                    > files (I did).

                    That's normal, it's a feature of the Visual Studio Content Installer (not
                    anything I did or didn't do!).

                    > However I added code in the setup dialog to set a com port and get the
                    > error "DriverID ASCOM.MouseDome.Dome is not registered. [...]

                    You need to set the DeviceType first.

                    Dim prof As New ASCOM.Helper.Profile
                    prof.DeviceType = "Dome" ' <==========================
                    prof.WriteValue("ASCOM.MouseDome.Dome", "ComPort", _
                    CStr(cmboComPort.SelectedIndex + 1))

                    The default device type is Telescope, so you may not have needed to set the
                    device type in the past... There's no Telescope named ASCOM.MouseDome.Dome.

                    > If this is a VB.NET issue only then would it help if I moved to C#? The
                    > benefits of VB seem to be much less with .NET, all the good bits of VB
                    > seem to have been removed while all the complexities seem to have been
                    > left. I can easily remember to add semi colons to the end of each line :-)

                    I personally think VB is a klunky language. The line continuation character is
                    reason enough, but there are many more in my view. I used VB6 early on because
                    it made using the COM services really easy, and VB.NET continues that tradition.
                    For some reason the C# designers left out VB.NET's native ability to late-bind
                    with COM objects, important for client developers. Instead, you have to jump
                    through hoops. But Jonathan Fay's Client Toolkit eases this. For a driver
                    writer, it's difficult, now that the templates exist.

                    I'd give it a whirl.