ASCOM Driver for Meade for use with Polar Alignmax.

  • Richard Higby
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
      This is my first post and I need help. I am trying to run Polar
      Alignmax to save hours of drift Alignmant with a LX200GPS Scope +
      ST2000XCM + SKY6. I have faithfully followed Bob Denny's text
      instructions for the SKY 6 Ascom plug-in copying the new .dll file into
      the system folder. Everything appears to work when using scope and
      camera simulators.
      Set-up: 1. PAM telescope set to FocusMax Telescope Hub
      2. FocusMax telescope set to Meade Telescope and Focuser
      3. TheSky ASCOM API driver set for FocusMax Telescope Hub.

      Problem: The SKY6 will not connect to the LX200GPS Scope. Error "
      Failed to load Driver" appears in a new "ASCOM Chooser" window.
      or "The selected telescope driver is missing the Connected property"
      appearing in a new window named "The Sky TeleApi ASCOM Plugin."

      This appears the only issue with Polar Alignmax.

      I and many others down here in our group would deeply appreciate any
      advice to get this program working leading to the saving of many cold
      exposed hours.

      Many thanks

      Richard Higby. NSW Astro.
    • Brewster, Jon A (TDO - Displays)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Richard,

        When you say everything works with simulators, do you mean that FocusMaX
        is still the hub and that TheSky connects to FocusMax and FocusMax is
        connected to the simulator? Or do you mean that TheSky connects to the
        ASCOM simulator directly?

        Jon

      • Richard Higby
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hello Jon,

          First all is fixed and well.

          In answer to your question, I meant that I had chosed both camera and
          scope simulators in a dry run inside the house in an attempt to find
          the problem.

          Unbelievably I have had contact with Larry Weber, author of the PAM
          Software. He talked me through my setup and verified that there was
          a problem between ASCOM, Sky6 and the Meade programes. He emailed me
          a fix and we are now ready to fly solo on the first available night.

          Once proficient with POLEALIGNMAX , I will be posting detailed set up
          instructions for those interested. For me it will save hours of cold
          drift aligning and should result in quick precise Polar Alignment..

          Thanks for your response.

          Cheers

          Richard.

          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Brewster, Jon A (TDO - Displays)"

        • rppass@rppass.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
            Could you share the nature of the problem between "ASCOM, Sky6 and the
            Meade programes"?

            What was the fix? (was it unique to POLEALIGNMAX?)

            Thanks,
            Ralph

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
              Sounds like the classic FixTheSkyAndFocusMax tool was needed. TheSky
              needs some DCOM fixup before FocusMax (or any other client) can be
              connected. Various of us have cloned Larry's work for other ASCOM
              clients. Bob takes care of this for all ASCOM parts that are part of
              the ASCOM platform.

              I failed to find the official download for this tool though.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
                Just to make things clear - TheSky itself does not need any "fixing". The SB
                software uses DCOM, though, and thus activates the DCOM security layers for
                itself. FocusMax needs to have DCOM security permissions opened up so it can be
                used with TheSky. This can be done using DCOM Config, a beastly tool that is
                included with Windows, or using the Fixer tool. Both do the same thing. Just
                getting TO the DCOM Config tool in windows is crazy, and its use is even crazier
                (and loaded with bear traps). That's why Larry/Steve developed the tool, and why
                I have a bunch of logic in the Platform installer for this.

                -- Bob
              • Richard Higby
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2007
                  Hello Ralph.

                  Jon is correct. Larry told me to download the
                  tool "IxTheSkyAndFocusMax.exe" available at
                  "http://users.bsdwebsolutions.com/~larryweber/FocusMaxBetaSelect.htm".

                  The conflict between an ASCOM Telescope API for The Sky to the
                  FocusMax Telescope HUB apparently only occurs when running XP, 2000
                  or NT.

                  I downloaded the program, hit the fix button and "presto" everything
                  just worked. The little annoying thing is that had I known this was
                  required my life would have been just a little bit easier.
                  Without this fix the average ameteur like me has no hope with POLE
                  ALIGN MAX. That said Larry Weber's help & patience for no gain was
                  extraordinary.

                  Now without sighting Sigma Octantis (our Pole star here)I achieve a
                  good pole alignment within about 20 minutes over 3 plate solves. The
                  process is itinerative so an additional 10 minutes brings you ever
                  closer.

                  Still coming to grips with the sequence that the various programes
                  need to be opened otherwise the screen goes mad. Great fun.

                  Cheers

                  Richard.

                  --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, rppass@... wrote:

                  > Could you share the nature of the problem between "ASCOM, Sky6 and
                  the
                  > Meade programes"?
                  >
                  > What was the fix? (was it unique to POLEALIGNMAX?)
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Ralph
                  >
                  > > Hello Jon,
                  > >
                  > > First all is fixed and well.
                  > >
                  > > In answer to your question, I meant that I had chosed both camera
                  and
                  > > scope simulators in a dry run inside the house in an attempt to
                  find
                  > > the problem.
                  > >
                  > > Unbelievably I have had contact with Larry Weber, author of the
                  PAM
                  > > Software. He talked me through my setup and verified that there
                  was
                  > > a problem between ASCOM, Sky6 and the Meade programes. He
                  emailed me
                  > > a fix and we are now ready to fly solo on the first available
                  night.

                  > > Once proficient with POLEALIGNMAX , I will be posting detailed
                  set up
                  > > instructions for those interested. For me it will save hours of
                  cold
                  > > drift aligning and should result in quick precise Polar
                  Alignment..

                • zapzap_it
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 27, 2007
                    Hi,

                    I've the following problem with the fix:
                    running it from my laptop (XP Pro - SP2) I get the error message
                    "Run-time error '-2147192502 (8004714a)' impossible to find the file
                    specified"

                    running it from my desktop PC (XP Pro - SP2) I have, instead, no problem.

                    Extracting the FixTheSkyAndFocusMax.exe I get a default .NET
                    application icon. Maybe the fix requires some dll that is not present
                    on the laptop?

                    Emiliano