Re: [ASCOM] Problems Connecting RCX Beta 6 to The Sky

  • Phillip Coker
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
      I, for one, would like to see the thread continue here. If it
      doesn't, would you mind posting details of the ultimate resolution
      here? Thanks.

      Phillip

      --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Brewster, Jon A (TDO -
      Displays)" <jon.brewster@...> wrote:

      > How about we take it private, as the exchange will get pretty
      specific?
      > See on the next email exchange.
      >
      > Jon

      RCX

      > > 40yahoogroups.com>
      Sky

      > > believe
      > > applications

      TheSky I

      > > be

      > > great,
      > > and

      that I

      > > Files\Common

      > > Files\Common

      > > Plug-

      > > ACCOUNT YOU

      > > For more information see http://ASCOM-Standards.org/.
      > >
      > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE
      > > ACCOUNT YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to:
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Brewster, Jon A (TDO - Displays)
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2006
        No Problem. We'll post back here. I've shared my phone number off line
        and we're planning a live debug session this weekend.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2006
          Thank you, Jon. As you can see, this issue concerns several RCX
          owners.

          <jon.brewster@...> wrote:

          > No Problem. We'll post back here. I've shared my phone number off
          line
          > and we're planning a live debug session this weekend.
          >
          > Jon

        • Brewster, Jon A (TDO - Displays)
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2006
            You are welcome. However, I think we're dealing with two different
            issues. Down at the bottom of this msg you'll see the problem is "ASCOM
            RCX Equipped Telescope Driver There doesn't appear to be anything
            connected to the COM port." The other problem is "The ASCOM scope
            driver is missing the Connected property".

            BTW, I have seen the "The ASCOM scope driver is missing the Connected
            property" on other drivers on occasion. It was something to do with the
            COM / DCOM settings that TheSky is real sensitive to. Early in POTH
            development (a couple of years ago?) it happened to me. Also, just last
            week while debugging a test driver. In both cases I had to reinstall
            ASCOM platform. If we could figure this out it would be great.

            Jon

          • Ajai Sehgal
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2006
              Phillip,

              Are you seeing the same issue?  I have not been able to reproduce it....

              Ajai

              href="mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com">ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com
              href="mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com">ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com] On Behalf Of Rod Gallagher
              > > Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 5:02
              PM
              > > To:
              href="mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com">ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com
              > > Subject: Re: [ASCOM] Problems Connecting RCX Beta 6 to The Sky
              > >
              > > Jon,
              > >
              > > Thanks for your suggestions. I
              really would like to resolve
              > > this problem. I have been working off
              and on this problem
              > > for several months. No, I have not done these
              tests. I am
              > > not very ASCOM- centric. Could some one provide
              instructions
              > > on how to do this (or at least where they can be
              found)?

              > > Thanks,
              > > .
              > > .
              > > .
              > > Rod
              > >
              > > --- In
              href="mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com">ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com, "Brewster, Jon A (TDO -
              Displays)"
              wrote:

              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I may be jumping in late, but does the RCX ASCOM driver connect
              > > through
              > > > to the scope with POTH? Also does TheSky work
              with the ASCOM
              scope
              > > > simulator? If you are still working
              this issue, those tests
              could
              > > help
              > > > isolate
              things.

              > > > Jon

              2006 11:38 AM

              href="mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com">ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com, "Ajai Sehgal" <ajai@>
              wrote:

              That is very strange. The RCX driver works great with the
              2.2G
              The Sky but I will try this

              connected to the RCX as
              well
              > > at
              same

              href="mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com">ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:ASCOM-

              href="mailto:Talk%40yahoogroups.com">Talk@yahoogroups. com] On
              Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:31 PM
              href="mailto:ASCOM-Talk%40yahoogroups.com">ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro ups.com
              Sky

              select
              the
              > > RCX
              settings and then call up the dialog
              up
              attempt to connect I get the error.

              that I am running 2.2G
              firmware in
              > > the
              version that I have tried.

              Rod

              ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
              40yahoogroups. com>

              ups.com,

              Which telescope driver are you selecting in TheSky? Go
              to the
              select Telescope API. Then
              > > press
              settings
              want - i.e. the
              RCX

              <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
              > > 40yahoogroups. com>
              On
              <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
              40yahoogroups. com>

              ups.com
              RCX Beta 6 to The
              Sky

              believe
              > > applications

              including:

              ASCOM 4.1

              TheSky I
              following error,

              > > be
              port."

              used other non-ASCOM drivers and the scope works
              > > great,
              both connecting through the Meade USB connection
              (COM6)
              > > and
              the same
              error.

              Here's the steps that I took to reach this point:

              (ascom41.exe)
              that I
              ASCOM website.

              Driver.dll

              Updated Helper Component (4.1.5) to c:\Program
              > > Files\Common

              (4.0.3) to c:\Program
              > > Files\Common

              using
              directions in
              Files\Common Files\ASCOM\ Telescope\ Planetarium
              > > Plug-

              scope by establishing the

              missing?

              .

              information see http://ASCOM- Standards. org/.

              > > ACCOUNT YOU
              SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

              Links

              > > For more
              information see http://ASCOM- Standards. org/.

              > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE
              > > ACCOUNT YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Phillip Coker
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2006
                Ajai,

                I'm not seeing this specific issue. When I see this type of error it
                is always because I do not have the correct Com port selected. Also,
                I do not have The Sky (probably should). However, I would like to see
                how this is resolved, and I think a lot of others would also, because
                there are still confusing issues associated with trying to couple
                various programs through ASCOM to the RCX and I am trying to learn as
                much as I can through the posted experience of others (primarily
                here). I am not a programmer so I depend others to produce the
                programs, commercial or otherwise, that I need to make my scope
                perform.

                Your driver is an extremely valuable part of my setup. Because of
                your driver, I have changed my mind about selling the RCX and
                switching to some other brand of telescope. But even with your driver
                I still have some issues. Primarily, I cannot find a way to autofocus
                or autocollimate the RCX. Until I do, I consider the RCX fairly
                useless for the remote capability that I want. This is the reason
                that I read and follow through every ASCOM issue posted here. Someday
                some brilliant programmer/engineer such as yourself will post that
                one magic bit of information that I need. And when it happens, my
                guess is that it will probably happen here.

                Phillip

                --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ajai Sehgal" <ajai@...> wrote:

                > Phillip,
                >
                > Are you seeing the same issue? I have not been able to reproduce
                it....

                > Ajai
                >
                > _____

                Standards.org/.>
                > Standards.org/.
                > > >
                > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE
                > > > ACCOUNT YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to:
                > > > ASCOM-Talk-unsubscr <mailto:ASCOM-Talk-unsubscribe%
                40yahoogroups.com>
                > ibe@yahoogroups.com
                > > >

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ajai Sehgal
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Hi Phillip,

                  I am sorry to say that I have to agree with you.  The RCX is not yet ready to be used in a remote observatory.  The one that we have in Az has been out of commission for about 2 months because it got pointing wrong and there was no way to recover it (finding home just caused it to wrap up its cables).  I am beginning to really hate this scope.  I will keep at it and try to make the driver compensate for the shortcoming!

                  <jon.brewster@ > wrote:

                  > > How about we take it
                  private, as the exchange will get pretty
                  > specific?
                  > > See on
                  the next email exchange.

                  > > Jon

                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  40yahoogroups. com>

                  .
                  > > > Rod
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In
                  ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%40yahoogrou ps.com>
                  > ups.com,
                  "Brewster, Jon A (TDO -
                  > Displays)"

                  <jon.brewster@ > wrote:

                  Hi,

> [...]
                  does the RCX ASCOM driver
                  connect
                  > > > through

                  scope
                  > could
                  > > > help
                  things.

                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  40yahoogroups. com>

                  ups.com
                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  40yahoogroups. com>
                  > ups.com] On
                  Behalf Of Rod
                  > Gallagher
                  October 29, 2006 11:38 AM
                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  40yahoogroups. com>

                  ups.com
                  Beta 6 to The
                  > Sky

                  is connected to the scope. I can switch the
                  > > > driver in
                  API and RCX
                  > > > driver. Is
                  something else that I need to set up in ASCOM or
                  > > > TheSky to
                  get

                  ..
                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  40yahoogroups. com>
                  Sehgal" <ajai@>

                  > 2.2G

                  > well
                  > > > at

                  Author)

                  _____

                  ASCOM-Talk@yahoogro <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  40yahoogroups. com>
                  > ups.com
                  [mailto:ASCOM-
                  > the
                  > > > RCX

                  ASCOM driver in the settings and then call up the dialog
                  driver. I select COM6 and
                  select
                  Then

                  The scope works OK with all other drivers, it just

                  will not work

                  that I am running 2.2G
                  > firmware in
                  > > > the

                  and ASCOM has not worked for any version that I have
                  tried.

                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  <scancelli@>

                  driver are you selecting in TheSky? Go
                  > to the
                  select Telescope API.
                  Then
                  > > > press
                  the ASCOM driver you want - i.e. the
                  > RCX

                  driver.

                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk%
                  > > > 40yahoogroups. com>

                  [mailto:ASCOM-
                  > > > believe
                  > > > applications

                  Beta 6

                  connect to the RCX driver in
                  > TheSky I

                  receive

                  Equipped Telescope Driver There doesn't
                  > appear to
                  > > > be

                  great,
                  successful with the ASCOM
                  > driver. I

                  have
                  Meade USB connection
                  > (COM6)
                  > > > and
                  > error.

                  cohesive

                  Installed the latest version of ASCOM (ascom41.exe)
                  > that I

                  Updated TheSky Driver (4.1.3) to
                  > c:\Program
                  Driver.dll

                  Files\Common

                  Files\ASCOM\ helper.dll

                  > > > Files\Common

                  Files\ASCOM\ helper2.dll

                  Plugin using the directions in

                  C:\Program
                  Files\ASCOM\ Telescope\ Planetarium Plug-

                  > directions in
                  Files\Common
                  Files\ASCOM\ Telescope\ Planetarium

                  Plug-

                  Attempted to Operate the scope by establishing the

                  Telescope link
                  receive the error.

                  .

                  Rod

                  href="http://ASCOM-">http://ASCOM-
                  href="http://ASCOM-Standards.org/.">http://ASCOM- Standards. org/.> Standards.org/ .

                  unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE
                  > > > ACCOUNT
                  YOU

                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk-unsubscribe %40yahoogroups. com>
                  ibe@yahoogroups. com

                  Groups Links

                  > > > For more
                  information see http://ASCOM- <http://ASCOM-
                  Standards.org/ .>

                  Standards.org/ .

                  > > > To unsubscribe from
                  this group, send an email FROM THE
                  > > > ACCOUNT YOU USED TO
                  SUBSCRIBE(!) to:
                  > > > ASCOM-Talk-unsubscr
                  <mailto:ASCOM- Talk-unsubscribe %
                  40yahoogroups. com>

                  ibe@yahoogroups. com

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • autostaretx
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 3, 2006
                    --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ajai Sehgal" <ajai@...> wrote:

                    >... The RCX is not yet ready to be used in a remote observatory.
                    > The one that we have in Az has been out of commission for
                    > about 2 months because it got pointing wrong and there was
                    > no way to recover it (finding home just caused it to wrap up
                    > its cables). I am beginning to really hate this scope.
                    > I will keep at it and try to make
                    > the driver compensate for the shortcoming!

                    You could join the Star Instruments and RC Optical Systems
                    suit against Meade... they claim it's not "RC", you could
                    claim that it's not remotely controllable (also "RC") either.

                    good luck
                    --dick
                    (if i were trying to run one of these totally remotely,
                    i'd add physical limit switches and a webcam feed of
                    the equipment room. Perhaps have the limit switches
                    press the -other- directional slew key, but at least
                    power down the scope until remotely overridden by an
                    operator watching through the camera.
                    Due to the similarity of control electronics/firmware,
                    i'm surprised there aren't more similar tales from the LX200gps
                    crowd, since some of them -do- operate totally remotely)
                  • Ajai Sehgal
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2006
                      I'm Canadian.  We are not sue happy ;-)

                      Ajai