Problems with laptop and AS-GT

  • brittleform
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006
      I have been using a AS-GT mount with my C8 and have recently wanted to
      try autoguiding. I downloaded the most recent release of the ASCOM
      platform and the Celestron update and then tried to run Guidedog.
      Although the system works well enough on my desktop it will not
      connect with the mount with my laptop. I have downloaded Nexremote
      onto the laptop to see if the connection is good, and that program has
      no trouble connecting to the mount. I am using an RS-232 Serial cable
      from Celestron and the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a
      Pentium III processor. Both the desktop and the laptop are running
      the same version of XP with service pack 1 preinstalled. I have even
      gone so far as to invade the Advanced controls on the port to change
      that in case there was a conflict. All three ports that I changed to
      the Nexremote saw the mount and Guidedog did not. Getting a little
      worried that I may not get this running. I hope you may have some
      suggestions.
      Thanks, Derek
    • Chris Rowland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
        The Celestron update needs updating :-) A later version is in the files
        area of this group.

        But this won't stop any connection at all.

        Are you using the cable that connects to the base of the hand
        controller? The cable that connects to the base goes to the wrong place
        and only NexRemote and reprogramming the motors works. (This may not
        apply to the AS scope unless you have the reprogramming port add on).

        Try another program, such as Cartes du Ciel, to check that communication
        with the scope is working.

        Exactly what error messages do you get? It should give you a clue about
        what the problem is.

        Chris

        brittleform wrote:
        > I have been using a AS-GT mount with my C8 and have recently wanted to
        > try autoguiding. I downloaded the most recent release of the ASCOM
        > platform and the Celestron update and then tried to run Guidedog.
        > Although the system works well enough on my desktop it will not
        > connect with the mount with my laptop. I have downloaded Nexremote
        > onto the laptop to see if the connection is good, and that program has
        > no trouble connecting to the mount. I am using an RS-232 Serial cable
        > from Celestron and the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a
        > Pentium III processor. Both the desktop and the laptop are running
        > the same version of XP with service pack 1 preinstalled. I have even
        > gone so far as to invade the Advanced controls on the port to change
        > that in case there was a conflict. All three ports that I changed to
        > the Nexremote saw the mount and Guidedog did not. Getting a little
        > worried that I may not get this running. I hope you may have some
        > suggestions.
        > Thanks, Derek

        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email FROM THE ACCOUNT YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE(!) to:

      • brittleform
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
          --- In ASCOM-Talk@yahoogroups.com, Chris Rowland
          <chris_group_mail@...> wrote:

          > The Celestron update needs updating :-) A later version is in the
          files
          > area of this group.
          >
          > But this won't stop any connection at all.
          >
          > Are you using the cable that connects to the base of the hand
          > controller? The cable that connects to the base goes to the wrong
          place
          > and only NexRemote and reprogramming the motors works. (This may
          not
          > apply to the AS scope unless you have the reprogramming port add
          on).

          > Try another program, such as Cartes du Ciel, to check that
          communication
          > with the scope is working.
          >
          > Exactly what error messages do you get? It should give you a clue
          about
          > what the problem is.
          >
          > Chris

          Chris,

          First of all, thank you for responding to my questions. The
          laptop is connected through the Serial port, then an rs232 cable to
          the hand controller, not the base of the mount. The most
          frustrating part of this is that the setup works with my desktop
          computer, but fails with the laptop. Another thing I have noticed
          when try to uninstall and reinstall the ascom platform is that not
          all the components are being uninstalled (cannot open install.log).
          When reinstalled it is having to unregister exisiting components.
          The Error message I get when I try to connect with my laptop
          is "Problem connecting to Telescope/Mount. Please check the
          connections" I think that problem may lie with the components left
          behind when I uninstall and then reinstall. Perhaps you might be
          able to tell me where these files are and where they are located so
          that I can remove them manually and start clean.

          Thanks

          Derek
        • Ralph Olds
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006

            Hi Derek,

            Do you have a native RS232 on the lap top, or a USB to RS232 aqdapter.

            I had nothing but problems with USB to serial, until I bought a desktop with a PCI to serial card.

            Also, some USB to serial adapters work much better than others.

            Ralph