Re: [ARRL-LOTW] It Seems To Me....

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
      As a former QSL Manager in the 80's, I received quite a few  IRCs and green stamps to help with postage.  Believe me, it helped defray cost of printing QSLs as well as mailing out to bureaus around the world.  We were raising 3 kids at the time and the budget was very tight...

      I'm all for LoTW being the standard for DXCC with hard cards being optional for those who like to collect them.

      I live in a county with about 600 licensed hams and seriously doubt that any DX station really needs my QSL card, but I do answer all bureau and direct cards these days..

      Jerry  N9AVY

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
        Sorry but I happen to be a proud member of the ARRL and I do think LOTW has too many hoops and hurdles, but keep shaking
        your head maybe it'll fall back into place. Some people just never have anything good to say.

        Ruben Echevarria KA2HHB
        070 Club#861 LONP#141
        30MDG#1148 10-10#33308

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
          Jerry said the following, On 6/5/2010 6:53 PM:

          > As a former QSL Manager in the 80's, I received quite a few IRCs
          > and green stamps to help with postage.

          And I see the point. However, if I "needed" a QSL manager, I'd
          personally expect to pay the chap the defray the costs. Heck, I asked
          for a QSL manager ... why would I expect every other ham to pay for the
          fact I was too (a) (B) (C) or (D) to print/write/mail my own?

          DX-peditions not included ... different story ...

          However, your comment about being in a spot with 600 licensed hams is a
          valid point. Very valid. And I hadn't looked at it that way.

          1000 hams contact contact a single ham in a single, recognized "Country"
          .. there is only one ham there. (As an example)

          He gets 5000 cards, many, many from a single area. Should he bring in
          10,000 US$? For a single event? .. is this non-commercial , good natured
          Ham Radio?

          Tough question. I lean to answering that it stinks. Others may not.
        • F.R. Ashley

            I still shake my head in amusement at those who think setting up LoTW is difficult, or "too many hoops", lmao.  It's no more difficult than setting up DXLab components.. LoTW is incredibly simple to download and use... but since it's run by the ARRL, that automatically makes it difficult, unfriendly, etc...

            73 have fun struggling with LoTW and the mouse clicks.
            Buddy WB4M

          • AB2ZY
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 6, 2010
              Heh.

              I've experienced a number of DX stations that don't list that they are LoTW capable. I send them a card and $2. I then get a confirmation by LoTW and no card.

              Al
              AB2ZY