Lotw is great !!

  • Paul. W. Copeland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
      Despite having a steep learning curve (for me, at least), I think LoTW is great !!  Today, I uploaded my log and wound up picking up DXCC on 20 meters.  I had been stuck at 98 (all of them LoTW contacts).  Some of them I would like to have QSL cards for, just for display purposes (like 4S7, 3B9, etc) but most of the entities were already confirmed by QSL card on other bands.  So LoTW has wound up saving me A BUNCH in postage, fees, etc, to say nothing of possibility of losing the cards in the mail.  LoTW is not perfect by any means - and I'll probably wind up tearing out what's left of hair over some problem - but I still think it's great and I'll continue to "talk up" LoTW to my ham friends.

      So now I have MIXED DXCC (280), CW DXCC, 40 meter DXCC, 20 meter DXCC and 10 meter DXCC and Phone DXCC ready to be sent in, most of which are LoTW contacts.  Pardon me for a little "horn tooting", but t'aint bad for 100 watts and an all-band vertical.

      73 de K4KCS
      Paul "SLIM" Copeland
      Greenville NC
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
        Toot that horn !   DXCC on any band is an achievement of note...  DXCC 280 mixed makes you a bit more than a casual DXer.  Now, those other DXCC entities will get harder to find.

        Jerry  N9AVY

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
          On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 16:24, Paul. W. Copeland
          <pcopeland1@...> wrote:

          > So now I have MIXED DXCC (280), CW DXCC, 40 meter DXCC, 20 meter DXCC and 10 meter DXCC and Phone DXCC ready to be sent in, most of which are LoTW contacts.  Pardon me for a little "horn tooting", but t'aint bad for 100 watts and an all-band vertical.

          Anyone can get DXCC with a beam and/or an amp. Much more interesting
          to do it with low antennas and low power!

          Congrats!

        • Paul. W. Copeland
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
            Thanks guys.  My good friend Ken W5KK is on the Honor Roll and he has NEVER owned an amp;  I'm just trying to catch up to him.  It was Ken who got me started on using LoTW and once I started using LoTW, I found I had a lot more credited entities than I thought I had.

            As for "new" ones, they are coming few and far between.  I have to wait for an expedition to some weird, out of the way place and THEN it usually is a crap shoot to work one.  But yesterday, E4X fell to the mighty ICOM 746PRO/GAP Challenger on 20 CW.

            73 de K4KCS
          • wb4iuy@teara.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
              >> So now I have MIXED DXCC (280), CW DXCC, 40 meter DXCC, 20 meter DXCC and
              10 meter DXCC and Phone DXCC ready to be sent in, most of which are LoTW
              contacts.  Pardon me for a little "horn tooting", but t'aint bad for 100
              watts and an all-band vertical.

              Congratulations!

              Dave Wb4IUY
              www.WB4IUY.net
            • Paul. W. Copeland
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
                Thanks!  I haven't come down to earth yet !!

                73 de K4KCS