Expired certificate

  • Roy G. Jackson
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
      I know this has been discussed on this list more than once, but at the
      time it didn't apply to me. Now I have tried to reinstall a saved
      certificate file, and gotten the expired certificate notification, even
      though my certificate is not expired. Has this been fixed yet? I
      remember seeing that it had, then that it hadn't. I know there was some
      work-around by setting the computer clock back to some date, but I don't
      remember the details. Is the ARRL working on this problem? Thanks and 73.

      Roy N9RG
      Naples, Florida USA
    • Fusaro, Norm W3IZ
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009

        The problem in ten words or less has to do with the signature of the certificate.

        Quick fix:

        Set the clock in your computer back to a date about 8 weeks ago.

        Save the PKCS#12 file

        Load the PKCS#12 into the new computer

        Set the computer clocks to current time and date.

        This will work for you however now would be a good time to get a new certificate with the correct signature file.

        Here is how to do that if you choose:

        1. Delete any and all TQ5, TQ6 and TQ8 files in your folders. (All of them)
        2. Download the most current Trusted QSL software. << http://www.arrl.org/lotw/download.html >>  (copy and paste this URL in your browser)
        3. Open TQSL CERT
        4. Delete any lines with a callsign. (Highlight callsign line then select CERTIFICATE – DELETE or right click on the line and select DELETE.)
        5. In the menu bar select FILE - NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST
        6. Request a new UNSIGNED certificate for your call

        Beginning Date

        Ø      Be sure to use the correct BEGIN when this call was issued to you.

        Ø      DO NOT use the default date of 1945-11-01.

        Ending Date

        Ø      Enter the ending date when you retired this callsign

        Ø      If the call is still current then leave the end date open.

        Passwords

        Ø      Passwords are optional.

        Ø      If you use a password be sure you record it.  We cannot assist with lost or forgotten passwords for your private key.

        1. On the last window you will be asked to SIGN or UNSIGNED the certificate request.  Because this is a PRIMARY CALLSIGN the request will be UNSIGNED.
        2. Make sure the UNSIGNED BUTTON IS CHECKED
        3. Save the TQ5 file to your folder.
        4. e-Mail to me the TQ5 file that you saved.  w3iz@...
        5. Stand by for your TQ6(Next business day if this is a weekend or holiday.)

        • USA operators will NOT receive a postcard.
        • DX operators DO NOT have to send documents.

        • Once you have the gold ribbon certificate installed for your primary call you will then be able to request SIGNED certificates for your other calls if you have any.

        • DO NOT REQUEST SIGNED CERTIFICATES FOR CLUB CALLS.  Club calls cannot be combined with personal calls.

        Thank you for using Logbook of The World.

        73,

        Norm Fusaro, W3IZ

        Assistant Manager,

        Membership & Volunteer Programs Department

        ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio

        73,

        Norm, W3IZ

        I know this has been discussed on this list more than once, but at the
        time it didn't apply to me. Now I have tried to reinstall a saved
        certificate file, and gotten the expired certificate notification, even
        though my certificate is not expired. Has this been fixed yet? I
        remember seeing that it had, then that it hadn't. I know there was some
        work-around by setting the computer clock back to some date, but I don't
        remember the details. Is the ARRL working on this problem? Thanks and 73.

        Roy N9RG
        Naples , Florida USA

      • Mike Mellinger WA0SXV
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009

          So my question is:  can we simply renew the existing certificates?

          73,

          Mike WA0SXV

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
              To prevent the incorrect "expired certificate" notification from appearing, should all LotW users replace all of their current certificates with new certificates (unless they've already done so)?

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                I finally got my LoTW certificates to work by doing exactly that. I reset my computer date to sometime in August, and everything worked fine! I then reset the computer calendar to the current date and it stayed fixed. Note that if you "go back to the future" too much it will tell that the certificate is "not valid yet". Just move it up closer to "now"......

                73;
                Mike, W7VO

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009
                  Wouldn't hurt.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 12, 2009

                    So, the ARRL is going to have to reissue 44,549 (plus or minus) certificates?  You’re going to be busy.

                    Guess it only matters if you try to move to another machine but perhaps it is time for some transparency here and a straightforward announcement on the web page of the problem.

                    Mike

                    WA0SXV

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 13, 2009
                      On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 17:54, Fusaro, Norm W3IZ <w3iz@...> wrote:

                      > Wouldn't hurt.

                      Any chance of something more definitive? If this is a problem waiting
                      to happen shouldn't we be told of that?

                      What is with HQ's reluctance to address this issue head on?

                      N5UWY

                    • Roy G. Jackson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 28, 2009
                        OK, I applied for and received a new .tq6 file for my current call,
                        N9RG. I have no .tq5, .tq6 or .tq8 files on my system, that I can find.
                        When I run TQSLCert and try to load the new certificate, I get a message
                        saying, "Certificate or private key not found." I am running Fedora 12
                        and the latest TQSLCert program for Linux. I am at a loss for where to
                        go from here. I should not have any certificate files on the disk, as
                        when I initially tried to load the PKCS#12 file is when I got the
                        original message about my certificate being expired. Any Linux users on
                        this list that can offer suggestions? Thanks and 73.

                        Roy N9RG

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 28, 2009
                          "90% of UNIX problems are permission-related" - old proverb. Probably
                          not the case here, since you are likely the only user (unless, for
                          some odd reason you downloaded the cert as root and are running TQSL
                          as you).

                          Path issue? Is the file in the default location for TQSL? If not,
                          have you tried telling TQSL where to look for it?

                          Never tried TQSL on Linux but those are the same two questions I've
                          been asking UNIX users for nearly 20 years. :-)

                          Peter

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 28, 2009
                            At 05:50 PM 11/28/2009, Roy G. Jackson wrote:
                            >OK, I applied for and received a new .tq6 file for my current call,
                            >N9RG. I have no .tq5, .tq6 or .tq8 files on my system, that I can find.
                            >When I run TQSLCert and try to load the new certificate, I get a message
                            >saying, "Certificate or private key not found." I am running Fedora 12
                            >and the latest TQSLCert program for Linux. I am at a loss for where to
                            >go from here. I should not have any certificate files on the disk, as
                            >when I initially tried to load the PKCS#12 file is when I got the
                            >original message about my certificate being expired. Any Linux users on
                            >this list that can offer suggestions? Thanks and 73.

                            You're to be congratulated for actually getting TrustedQSL to work on
                            Linux. It's very out of date. Getting it to compile is difficult at
                            best, and the binaries are for Fedora 3 when Fedora 12 is current. :-)

                            [Offer to ARRL: I'll be happy to supply diffs to allow it to build on
                            current versions of Linux if someone wants.]

                            Now, on to your problem.
                            First, the common cause for "Certificate or private key not found" is
                            that you ran tqslcert on one computer to generate the certificate
                            request and tried to load the resulting .tq6 file on a different computer.

                            On a Linux system, when you run tqslcert to generate a certificate
                            request, there will be a file in "~/.tqsl/keys/<callsign>" that
                            contains your private key. (For you, it'll be "~/.tqsl/N9RG". When you
                            run tqslcert on the correct system, you'll see the requested
                            certificate showing up with a "slashed key" icon next to the callsign;
                            if you don't see that, then the private key isn't on that computer for
                            some reason. You can't restore the .tq6 if there's no corresponding
                            private key.
                          • Roy G. Jackson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 29, 2009
                              Thanks for your response, Peter. You are correct that I am the only user
                              on my system. I never run as root, so that should not be the issue.
                              However, permissions are not my strong suit. I have the certificate that
                              was sent to me by the ARRL located on my desktop. I do point TQSL to
                              that location. I am starting to operate under Linux more and more. I
                              would really like to be able to perform LOTW activities, also. Someone
                              must have it working, since there is a TQSL package available. Thanks
                              for your suggestions. I'll keep trying. 73.

                              Roy N9RG

                            • Roy G. Jackson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 29, 2009
                                Thanks, Rick. I think you nailed it. For some reason I did not have that
                                certificate showing in my TQSLCert program. I believe that I did apply
                                for the new certificate using this machine, but I use 3 different
                                computers and 3 different OS's, so it's hard to say. I applied to the
                                League for another new certificate, and I do now have one showing up in
                                TQSLCert with the slashed circle icon. It may take some time for the
                                League to straighten out my request, so soon after the other one, but
                                they created this mess.

                                By the way, I just downloaded the TQSL program from the repository and
                                installed it. No compiling on my part. I am not nearly that far advanced
                                in Linux yet. Thanks again for the help. Your explanation really helped
                                me work through the problem. 73.

                                Roy N9RG

                                Rick Murphy/K1MU wrote:

                                > At 05:50 PM 11/28/2009, Roy G. Jackson wrote:
                                > >OK, I applied for and received a new .tq6 file for my current call,
                                > >N9RG. I have no .tq5, .tq6 or .tq8 files on my system, that I can find.
                                > >When I run TQSLCert and try to load the new certificate, I get a message
                                > >saying, "Certificate or private key not found." I am running Fedora 12
                                > >and the latest TQSLCert program for Linux. I am at a loss for where to
                                > >go from here. I should not have any certificate files on the disk, as
                                > >when I initially tried to load the PKCS#12 file is when I got the
                                > >original message about my certificate being expired. Any Linux users on
                                > >this list that can offer suggestions? Thanks and 73.
                                >
                                > You're to be congratulated for actually getting TrustedQSL to work on
                                > Linux. It's very out of date. Getting it to compile is difficult at
                                > best, and the binaries are for Fedora 3 when Fedora 12 is current. :-)
                                >
                                > [Offer to ARRL: I'll be happy to supply diffs to allow it to build on
                                > current versions of Linux if someone wants.]
                                >
                                > Now, on to your problem.
                                > First, the common cause for "Certificate or private key not found" is
                                > that you ran tqslcert on one computer to generate the certificate
                                > request and tried to load the resulting .tq6 file on a different computer.
                                >
                                > On a Linux system, when you run tqslcert to generate a certificate
                                > request, there will be a file in "~/.tqsl/keys/<callsign>" that
                                > contains your private key. (For you, it'll be "~/.tqsl/N9RG". When you
                                > run tqslcert on the correct system, you'll see the requested
                                > certificate showing up with a "slashed key" icon next to the callsign;
                                > if you don't see that, then the private key isn't on that computer for
                                > some reason. You can't restore the .tq6 if there's no corresponding
                                > private key.
                                > 73,
                                > -Rick

                              • Roy G. Jackson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 30, 2009
                                  OK, I received my second new certificate from the ARRL today. I
                                  installed it and have it working under Fedora 12. Thanks for the help
                                  provided. If nothing else, it prodded me off of top dead center. I think
                                  I actually caused the problem with the first certificate. After applying
                                  for it, I think I deleted the certificate from TQSL, thinking that it
                                  should not be there untl I received the .tq6 in the email. We can be our
                                  own worst enemies some times. 73 to all on the list.

                                  Roy N9RG