Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Problems with Certs

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
      On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 20:25, Peter Jordahl <k5gm@...> wrote:

      > Mike and Pete,
      > This has been discussed extensively on this reflector.  Apparently it was the ARRL's certificate that expired, and they are working to get it renewed, although it does seem to be taking a LONG time to get things squared away.  The biggest problem has been a lack of communication on the part of ARRL LOTW staff as to what was/is going on!

      This is my gripe, as well. Technical sh!+ happens, but there's no
      excuse for putting contradictory pieces of information on different
      pages or mixing in an announcement with rotating ad banners. That's
      just ... amateur.

      Now they seem to have declared the problem solved and pulled all the
      notifications yet those of us on this list know that the problems are
      ongoing.

    • Mike/Shelley Ritz
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
        Thanks for the info....

        Getting this answered is why I joined this reflector. There does not seem to be much help happening at the ARRL.... I have something like 2,000+ QSOs to get loaded into LoTW from the last couple of years of contesting....

        73!

        Mike, W7VO
        Scappoose, OR

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
          On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:50, Mike/Shelley Ritz <micritz@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the info....
          >
          > Getting this answered is why I joined this reflector. There does not seem to be much help happening at the ARRL.... I have something like 2,000+ QSOs to get loaded into LoTW from the last couple of years of contesting....

          That's not entirely true. HQ staff occasionally post here and (in my
          experience) questions to the LoTW support address get answered (though
          it seems that any problems are somehow blamed on me).

          My problem is that it's inconsistent, the current certificate problem
          being a glaring example. Fixed? Users here seem to be having the
          same issues with certificates but HQ has stopped saying it's broken
          ... which isn't the same as it being fixed.

          I did see one technical question posted here by a prominent software
          developer that was never answered. It was actually a clarification of
          something the HQ staffer posted and the lack of an answer made me
          think that perhaps the staffer was offering a theory on something and
          not actually stating fact.

          Personally, I think this is just a symptom of a larger issue: I
          believe LoTW is going to collapse under it's own weight. We're up to
          nearly 250M records with uploads increasing at an ever-faster rate,
          I'm told (by HQ) that the fees collected don't cover costs, and there
          are persistent problems with things like WAS accounts. Can the
          present system handle 500M records? One billion? What are the plans?
          Does the system need re-architecting? Certainly the interface needs
          work, as does TQSL.

          Am I griping? Yep - I'm a member (with 9000 Qs in the system) so I
          get to do that. Have I contacted my Division leadership? Yep, done
          that, too.

          73,
          Peter
          N5UWY