RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: Why I love LOTW

  • FireBrick
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 30, 2009
      It makes no difference Norm.
      But, if I am willing to pay for a backup service.
      (and I am as I have one at this time)
      Given a choice between ARRL and some Private concern.

      I'd give my business to ARRL.
      Just because I'm an ARRL member and supporting them...like I did when they
      offered Life Memberships way back when and I took advantage of it.

      And if the option to LoTW members of a log backup service invited more
      people to use LoTW, I'd consider this a good thing.

      As for that wheel invention.
      If while traveling there is a McD on one corner and another Franchise on the
      other...I go to the one I own stock in.

      On 9/30/2009 11:24:35 AM, Fusaro, Norm W3IZ (w3iz@...) wrote:
      > Why re-invent the wheel? There are plenty of commercial services
      > available you can subscribe to for backing up data. It makes no
      > difference
      > if you back up photos or log files.
      >
      > 73,
      > Norm, W3IZ

    • wa9ysd
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2009
        You think maybe they are spending resources where the minority benefit as apposed to the majority?

        A lot of money was well spent on that digital internet on power lines that would radiate in the ham bands. That was a fight worth fighting for.

        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:59, FireBrick <w9ol@...> wrote:
        >
        > > But this brings up a different approach.
        > > How much would it cost the ARRL to create a dedicated, log backup service.
        > > I would pay a reasonable fee to be able to backup my log to a dedicated,
        > > system online.
        >
        > Based on my experience with LoTW, I would not use this service were it
        > to be provided by ARRL.
        >
        > According to the League, the current LoTW system costs more to run
        > than it takes in in fees though they won't provide numbers. That's
        > clearly unsustainable (I am a user and expect it to pay it's own way).
        >
        > There is clearly a lack of resources devoted to maintaining,
        > supporting, and enhancing the existing LoTW system ... which I guess
        > is to be expected if the system doesn't pay it's own way.
        >
        > Based on that experience, I would expect a log backup service would be
        > run similarly, so I wouldn't use it.
        >
        > That said, there isn't really a reason for the ARRL to offer such a
        > service. There are dozens and dozens of online services (and offline,
        > if you prefer) that will happily back up all your data. Heck, there
        > are programs available that allow you to back up your home files to
        > your GMail account.
        >
        > I'd rather see the League devote their time to devoting proper
        > resources to LoTW. That would mean increased fees, but so be it.
        >

        > --

      • Dave Sparks
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2009
          You think maybe they are spending resources where the minority benefit as
          apposed to the majority?

          A lot of money was well spent on that digital internet on power lines that
          would radiate in the ham bands. That was a fight worth fighting for.

          --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:59, FireBrick <w9ol@...> wrote:
          >
          > > But this brings up a different approach.
          > > How much would it cost the ARRL to create a dedicated, log backup
          > > service.
          > > I would pay a reasonable fee to be able to backup my log to a dedicated,
          > > system online.
          >
          > Based on my experience with LoTW, I would not use this service were it
          > to be provided by ARRL.
          >
          > According to the League, the current LoTW system costs more to run
          > than it takes in in fees though they won't provide numbers. That's
          > clearly unsustainable (I am a user and expect it to pay it's own way).
          >
          > There is clearly a lack of resources devoted to maintaining,
          > supporting, and enhancing the existing LoTW system ... which I guess
          > is to be expected if the system doesn't pay it's own way.
          >
          > Based on that experience, I would expect a log backup service would be
          > run similarly, so I wouldn't use it.
          >
          > That said, there isn't really a reason for the ARRL to offer such a
          > service. There are dozens and dozens of online services (and offline,
          > if you prefer) that will happily back up all your data. Heck, there
          > are programs available that allow you to back up your home files to
          > your GMail account.
          >
          > I'd rather see the League devote their time to devoting proper
          > resources to LoTW. That would mean increased fees, but so be it.
          >

          > --

          My guess is that if the ARRL were to offer a backup service, they would
          probably resell one of the existing services, such as Idrive, Mozy, or
          Carbonite (which I use). Unless they can cut a deal where they can make
          some money on the deal and maybe get a bulk discount for end users/hams, I
          see no point in reinventing the wheel. I'd much prefer to go with a
          provider with experience and a track record -- with no offense intended
          toward ARRL, of which I am a member.

          BTW, I like the Firefox plug-in that allows you to backup files to a Gmail
          account, but you still need to remember to do it -- even if it's clicking a
          single button. Don't forget that Murphy's Law is strictly enforced.

          In my personal case, I log all my contacts to a paper log, then enter them
          into my PC (XMlog) and LOTW/eQSL later. Plus, within 24 hours, Carbonite
          adds another layer of redundancy with an offsite backup of all the important
          files on my PC. I've lost too much stuff over the years not to do this.

          --
          Dave Sparks
          AF6AS