LOTW/VUCC

  • Brian Alsop
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
      Interesting that there are complaints that LOTW does not have the VUCC
      Award.

      Why is this interesting?

      75 percent of the recent 6M QSL's received here have no grid specified.
      Unless people put a grid in their certificates, VUCC and LOTW will have
      really limited usefulness.

      There needs to be an easy way to ammend one's certificate so that grid,
      zone or whatever can easily be added/changed.
      Perhaps there is, but I haven't found it.

      The same goes for CQ zone. Lots of EU's have put the ITU zone in for
      the CQ zone.

      73 de Brian/K3KO
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
        At 07:05 AM 7/1/2009, Brian Alsop wrote:

        >Interesting that there are complaints that LOTW does not have the VUCC
        >Award.
        >
        >Why is this interesting?
        >
        >75 percent of the recent 6M QSL's received here have no grid specified.
        >Unless people put a grid in their certificates, VUCC and LOTW will have
        >really limited usefulness.
        >
        >There needs to be an easy way to ammend one's certificate so that grid,
        >zone or whatever can easily be added/changed.
        >Perhaps there is, but I haven't found it.

        It's pretty easy, actually, because you don't have to amend your
        certificate (unless you somehow have one for the wrong DXCC entity).
        The grid square (and zone information) are set up in a station
        location, which is maintained by TQSL on your computer. You can fix
        errors in station locations easily.

        Bring up TQSL and pick the "Station/Edit Locations" menu selection.
        Then you re-sign your log and re-upload it. My understanding is that
        the new QSO information will replace the old one.

        This is an example of one of the real design flaws in Logbook - the
        designers never considered that they needed to provide a way to easily
        edit uploaded QSOs (including deleting them). I hope that some way to
        edit/delete QSOs is in the plans.
        -Rick
      • Henk Remijn PA5KT
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
          Software programmers often forget that the people who use their programs
          just want a simple click and no thinking.
          No thinking usually is not an option, so the software should minimize
          the thinking. (K.I.S.S.).

          Why not adding a check when entering a call sign.All countries have one
          or a limited set of WAZ or ITU zones. Dont give them the option of all
          the zones to choose from. Same goes for the locator.

          With the cty.dat file it is easy to find out which country / zone.

          It should be changed in the TQSL program.

          73 Henk PA5KT

          --
          Henk Remijn PA5KT
          email: pa5kt@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
            I am not a programmer but sometimes I play one on TV.

            The tQSL module was/is developed in an open source code environment. This allows a qualified programmer to enhance the existing module as desired. Frankly I am surprised someone has not touched this in the past 2 or 3 years. The Graphic User Interface (GUI - "Gewie") could be more friendly.

            Regarding the bad data (zones, grids, counties, (no)states) that operators upload, at the moment this is the operators responsibility. This information can be corrected as Rick outlined. That said, I doubt whether many operators are going to take the time to go back and fix dozens upon dozens of logs that they have previously uploaded.

            From the ARRL point of view, if tQSL included a "Callsign to ITU, CQ," conversion feature, the responsibility of "getting it right" shifts from the individual operators to the ARRL. Who should know better where a station was located when the log was made? And who's going to maintain the conversion list used to determine correlations? I doubt they would take this on.

            A new tQSL application feature could check for a conversion file. If one was found use it, if not found revert to using operator data. Sounds good so far. However, what should tQSL do when the operator supplies the CQ and ITU zones but they do not agree with the conversion file? Who knows better... the operator or the conversion file?

            A better method to reduce the number of QSOs uploaded with missing or wrong information would be to "force" the operator through a setup procedure when they create a "Station Location". Right now these fields are optional and often overlooked because they are on a separate tab (if I remember correct).

            "It would be nice" if a programmer took this project to task and made improvements to tQSL. As a pseudo TV programmer the job is beyond my skill set! :-)

            73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

            --
            Henk Remijn PA5KT
            email: pa5kt@remijn. net

          • Marc Domen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
              Bob,

              Completly agree.
              It is the operators responsability to enter the exact info on CQ, ITU and Gridsquare.
              There is however one problem now.
              I can get a certificate for mycall/P, a call used for activations of lighthouses, castles or wathever.
              My QTh of these activations can be different, probably not in view of CQ or ITU zone (at least not in Belgium), but certainly for gridsquares.
              LoTW does not allow me at this point to change any off these when uploading a log.

              My view to the future of LoTW, if we really want this to grow further, is to implement such a possibility.

              73  Marc, ON7SS - OO9O

              2009/7/1 Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@...>

              I am not a programmer but sometimes I play one on TV.

              The tQSL module was/is developed in an open source code environment. This allows a qualified programmer to enhance the existing module as desired. Frankly I am surprised someone has not touched this in the past 2 or 3 years. The Graphic User Interface (GUI - "Gewie") could be more friendly.

              Regarding the bad data (zones, grids, counties, (no)states) that operators upload, at the moment this is the operators responsibility. This information can be corrected as Rick outlined. That said, I doubt whether many operators are going to take the time to go back and fix dozens upon dozens of logs that they have previously uploaded.

              From the ARRL point of view, if tQSL included a "Callsign to ITU, CQ," conversion feature, the responsibility of "getting it right" shifts from the individual operators to the ARRL. Who should know better where a station was located when the log was made? And who's going to maintain the conversion list used to determine correlations? I doubt they would take this on.

              --
              Henk Remijn PA5KT
              email: pa5kt@...

            • Robert Chudek - K0RC
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                "My QTh of these activations can be different, probably not in view of CQ or ITU zone (at least not in Belgium), but certainly for gridsquares. LoTW does not allow me at this point to change any off these when uploading a log."

                I am not understanding your point Marc. For any given certificate you can create multiple "Station Locations". And these can have different CQ, ITU, Grids, States, Counties. The only caveat is if you operated from multiple locations you will need to separate the log into the appropriate subsets and use the correct Station Location for each sub-set when processing the log(s) with tQSL.

                "I think" the DXLab Suite (DXKeeper) by AA6YQ will do this "on the fly", but you still need to identify the different locations (QTHID) for each contact in the log. I haven't used this feature so if Dave reads this he can correct me or add to this info about how it actually works.

                73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

                --
                Henk Remijn PA5KT
                email: pa5kt@remijn. net

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                  On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:41, Marc Domen<on7ss.oo9o@...> wrote:

                  > There is however one problem now.
                  > I can get a certificate for mycall/P, a call used for activations of
                  > lighthouses, castles or wathever.
                  > My QTh of these activations can be different, probably not in view of CQ or
                  > ITU zone (at least not in Belgium), but certainly for gridsquares.
                  > LoTW does not allow me at this point to change any off these when uploading
                  > a log.

                  Do not confuse certificates and locations. You must have a
                  certificate for each call you used. If you add a self-assigned
                  designator, i.e. N5UWY/9, you need a new certificate. If you operate
                  in another country, you need another certificate, i.e. N5UWY/VE2 or
                  F/N5UWY.

                  Each of those certificates can have one or more station locations
                  designated in TQSL. For example, I have a certificate for N5UWY, with
                  4 different locations. I also have a cert for N5UWY/9 with one
                  location.

                  If I upload a QSO with the wrong location, I can "fix" it by uploading
                  again with the correct location selected.

                  If I upload a QSO with the wrong *certificate*, I can upload it again,
                  but it will create a new QSO record, a "zombie", in LoTW.

                  Fortunately for me, my logging software (DXKeeper) keeps good track of these!

                • Marc Domen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Bob,

                    TNX for this reply.
                    Could be that i overlooked this.
                    I will look into it and certainly sent you a reply (not on the reflector)  if i FOUND IT.
                    Anyway, tnx for pointing out the direction I have to look for.

                    --
                    Henk Remijn PA5KT
                    email: pa5kt@...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                      DXKeeper has its own notion of station locations that pre-dates LotW; they are referred to as "my QTHs", and are provided to support users who make QSOs from more than one location. In general, each "my QTH" defined in DXKeeper correlates to one LotW station location; the user must accurate construct LotW station locations using TQSL.

                      While it is true that TQSL and other components of LotW are open source in the sense that the source code is available under an open source license, it takes considerable energy to create and maintain a living open source project. With one person responsible for the operation, maintenance, and development of LotW, there is simply no time available to develop and foster an open source community around LotW. So we should not be surprised that since LotW's release, little has been contributed beyond a few ports. For example, there have been 10 posts to

                      over the past 18 months, but there has been no response to any of them.

                      --
                      Henk Remijn PA5KT
                      email: pa5kt@remijn. net

                    • Marc Domen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Peter,

                        I get your point, but haven't figured it out correctly at the moment.
                        Will look into it and, if I can't sort it out will come back to you.
                        Anyway, tnx for the answer.
                        LoTW is vy good, have alreay more dxcc, etc confirmed this way than I thought would be.
                        This is the futur,
                        Hope to have more possibilities via LoTW, I think there is really a demand for it.

                        73  Marc, ON7SS - OO9O

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                          n Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:41, Marc Domen<on7ss.oo9o@...> wrote:

                          > Peter,
                          >
                          > I get your point, but haven't figured it out correctly at the moment.
                          > Will look into it and, if I can't sort it out will come back to you.
                          > Anyway, tnx for the answer.

                          I figured that, but I didn't want anything "lost in the translation".
                          :-) That, and you're not the only person reading the thread.

                          I consider myself lucky since I've been using DXKeeper (part of the
                          DXLab Suite). Once you have your certificate and you've configured
                          TQSL to sign your logs, LoTW is pretty invisible when using that
                          program.

                          The problem, as I see it, is that the ARRL defines a callsign as
                          including a self-assigned indicator even if that indicator doesn't
                          change a station's DXCC entity. This makes it hell on county-hunters,
                          among others, who use multiple suffixes. And, it creates thousands of
                          QSOs in the DB that can not be legitimately matched. If you could
                          delete those mistaken QSOs, that would be fine, but you cannot.

                          Agreed - it is a far simpler way of chasing awards!