Re: LoTW Net

  • al_kozakiewicz
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7, 2009
      When I first got serious about earning the WAS certificate, I already had QSO's with 45 states, but only 35 confirmed through LoTW. I used the obriensweb sked page every evening and was usually able to knock off 2-3 per day. A lot of the unconfirmed or unworked states were basically border states to me (VT, MA, NH, CT, RI, ME, PA, NJ, DE). You wonder about the state of the hobby when the only LoTW confirmation you can get from NJ is a VE station operating portable 8^(

      At any rate, I was able to get down to only 2 states needed within about a week of LoTW fishing an hour or 2 per day. UT took a bit longer, as not too many show up on the sked page very often. MT was the last piece. I had several MT QSO's, but none uploaded to LoTW or sent back QSL cards. It was more or less serendipity when I finally got it. I got in the habit of parking on 14.070 PSK when bored and looking for either states or DX I was interested in. PSK users have, in my totally unscientific opinion, a higher percentage of LoTW users. At any rate, after about a week I finally found an MT station that was a LoTW user and he graciously uploaded the QSO right away. My WAS certificate was issued the next day!

      Good luck!

      Al
      AB2ZY

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <kf4nvm@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.... I look forward to attempting some of them.
      >
      > 73's
      >
      > W2OBX (Mark)
      >
      > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <kf4nvm@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Could anyone tell me if there is a LoTW net? I Googled and one came up on 14.270 @ 2359 ZT Monday and Tuesday, but I heard nothing when I monitored.
      > >
      > > I am attempting to complete my WAS and I have a few difficult states to reach from Tennessee.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > W2OBX (Mark)

    • Jim C
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2009
        Is there some way to tell from the LoTW web site what states you are
        missing?

        al_kozakiewicz wrote:

        > When I first got serious about earning the WAS certificate, I already
        > had QSO's with 45 states, but only 35 confirmed through LoTW. I used
        > the obriensweb sked page every evening and was usually able to knock
        > off 2-3 per day. A lot of the unconfirmed or unworked states were
        > basically border states to me (VT, MA, NH, CT, RI, ME, PA, NJ, DE).
        > You wonder about the state of the hobby when the only LoTW
        > confirmation you can get from NJ is a VE station operating portable 8^(
        >
        > At any rate, I was able to get down to only 2 states needed within
        > about a week of LoTW fishing an hour or 2 per day. UT took a bit
        > longer, as not too many show up on the sked page very often. MT was
        > the last piece. I had several MT QSO's, but none uploaded to LoTW or
        > sent back QSL cards. It was more or less serendipity when I finally
        > got it. I got in the habit of parking on 14.070 PSK when bored and
        > looking for either states or DX I was interested in. PSK users have,
        > in my totally unscientific opinion, a higher percentage of LoTW users.
        > At any rate, after about a week I finally found an MT station that was
        > a LoTW user and he graciously uploaded the QSO right away. My WAS
        > certificate was issued the next day!
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > Al
        > AB2ZY
        >
        > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Mark" <kf4nvm@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.... I look forward to
        > attempting some of them.
        > >
        > > 73's
        > >
        > > W2OBX (Mark)
        > >
        > > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mark" <kf4nvm@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Could anyone tell me if there is a LoTW net? I Googled and one
        > came up on 14.270 @ 2359 ZT Monday and Tuesday, but I heard nothing
        > when I monitored.
        > > >
        > > > I am attempting to complete my WAS and I have a few difficult
        > states to reach from Tennessee.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks
        > > >
        > > > W2OBX (Mark)

      • al_kozakiewicz
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2009
          Not that I've seen. My logging program (ACLOG) shows that information.

          Al
          AB2ZY

          --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Jim C <liteways@...> wrote:

          > Is there some way to tell from the LoTW web site what states you are
          > missing?
        • David Levine
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2009
            Yes there is and it is pretty easy. Click on Awards across the top and then select your WAS award on the next page. Once your WAS award account is selected, press the Application button on the left side of the page and viola!

            This link might or might not work for you, but you can give it a shot as a direct link to the page:

            https://p1k.arrl.org/lotwuser/logbook/application.php?awg_id=WAS&ac_acct=1

            David - K2DSL

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2009
              Because most of my contacts are on old paper logs. I have the QSL's
              but I uploaded them and I guess the people that I contacted way back
              then, don't use LoTW, or are in old folks homes or silent keys

              Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

              > Why? You do not have too. You can have your callsigns linked and QSLs
              > from
              > both will count.
              >
              > 73 Art W2NRA
              > "Keep to the Code!"
              > w2nra.com

            • Joseph Miller
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2009
                Re: When I first got serious about earning the WAS certificate, I already had QSO's with 45 states, but only 35 confirmed through LoTW.

                My old antenna died about a year ago, and I was sitting at 46 states when a new 40 meter half wave inverted V went up last October. I was able to get both Idaho and Maine during Sweepstakes, and then a long wait until March when I was finally able to put Alaska and North Dakota in the logbook.

                Don't underestimate the state QSO parties for contacts. I have a basic wire antenna running 100 watts, and I can almost always count on at least 3-5 QSO during each contest.

                To those of you still working at your WAS, just keep at. You'll get it.

                73 de Joe, KJ8O, WAS #53645
              • NN8L
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2009
                  Hey.  Easy now.  I resemble that remark.  :)

                  NN8L

                  Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

                  > Why? You do not have too. You can have your callsigns linked and QSLs
                  > from
                  > both will count.
                  >
                  > 73 Art W2NRA
                  > "Keep to the Code!"
                  > w2nra.com

                • Joseph Miller
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2009
                    Hi Jim,

                    --- On Thu, 5/7/09, Jim C <liteways@...> wrote:
                    Is there some way to tell from the LoTW web site what states you are
                    missing?

                    Sure is, although it only shows missing states as far as LOTW is concerned.

                    #1 After you log in, click on "awards", then "select WAS award account" (note that you will have to create one if you have not done so already).

                    #2 Click on "basic" or other award that you are working towards, results will list only the confirmed states

                    #3 Now if you click on "all entities" and then "select WAS award to view", the list will now include all 50 states, making it real easy to see what has not been confirmed.

                    I hope this helps you, as I sure found it useful.

                    73 de Joe, KJ8O
                  • Jim C
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2009
                      Thanks. I did that and I only have 17 states according to LoTW. But
                      with my QSL cards and those seventeen, I think I only missing Alaska.
                      I'll have to spread them out on a table and categorize them, but they
                      have been uploaded, just none of those hams have uploaded their old logs
                      from the 1970's

                    • kb4qqj@arrl.net
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2009
                        In a message dated 5/6/2009 8:44:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, david_yahoo@... writes:
                        Mark,

                        My suggestion is to go to http://www.obriensw eb.com/sked/ and click the LoTW link at the top. There's no registration and the site is free. Each time you want to participate you just fill in your name, location, etc.
                        If you have your browser set to accept cookies from Andy's page, you don't have to fill out the form each time. It self populates.

                        Randy _ KB4QQJ
                      • Jim Auricman
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2009
                          I got my Basic WAS in 1993. I would like to get the CW endorsement for WAS.
                          Does LOTW offer a CW endorsement award?
                          I have 43 states confirmed for CW on LOTW. The other 7 states I have confirmed with QSL cards.
                          These states are AL, DE, ID, MS, SC, VT and WV. Can these cards be used to complete the CW endorsement?
                          If so, what is the procedure to combine these QSL confirmations with the LOTW total?
                          Thanks,
                          Jim, KE3FG

                        • David Levine