Lost computer disk. Installing TQSL to VISTA laptop

  • Karel Bezuidenhout
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 2:21 PM
      Hi all, I hope someone can help me. My shack desktop PC died on me and while waiting for it to be rebuilt I decided to use my laptop (MS VISTA) and reinstall TQSL. I had the certificate files on a USB memory stick and copied it back to the TQSL directory but it did not work. I dowloaded the files from the LoTW website but same response.

      It seems I need a p12 file but with the old installation lost due to the computer crash I cannot create it.

      What am I to do now? Will applying for a new certificate (actually three for old calls) solve my problem or is there something else I need to do?

      Tnx es 73
      Karel ZS6WN
      Polokwane, RSA
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 2:55 PM
        At 05:21 PM 5/1/2009, Karel Bezuidenhout wrote:

        >Hi all, I hope someone can help me. My shack desktop PC died on me and
        >while waiting for it to be rebuilt I decided to use my laptop (MS
        >VISTA) and reinstall TQSL. I had the certificate files on a USB memory
        >stick and copied it back to the TQSL directory but it did not work. I
        >dowloaded the files from the LoTW website but same response.
        >
        >It seems I need a p12 file but with the old installation lost due to
        >the computer crash I cannot create it.
        >
        >What am I to do now? Will applying for a new certificate (actually
        >three for old calls) solve my problem or is there something else I
        >need to do?

        Go to the LotW home page - http://www.arrl.org/lotw/ and click on the
        "My computer crashed" link in the "LoTW User's Corner".

        What it says is "If you did not save p12 files then you will have to
        request a new certificate. See
        <http://www.arrl.org/lotw/getStartedGuide.pdf>Getting Started for
        instructions on requesting a certificate."

        I'd suggest saving your certificate after you get it replaced.
        http://www.arrl.org/lotw/saveYourCertificate.html

        Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're probably going to have
        to start over.
      • Karel Bezuidenhout
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 4:31 PM
          Hi Rick

          Tnx for the reply. I read that part as well. I just hoped somehow there was another way out.

          I actually had two fatal PC crashes. The first one had my backups on its disk, the next one the original TQSL installation. I suspect it was due to lightning as I lost a ADSL modem as well.

          Seems like one or two backups are not enough.

          I applied for new certificates already. Should be up and running again soon.

          73 de ZS6WN
          Karel
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18, 2013
            Jaap,
            Yahoo is bouncing e-mail sent to you:

            (reason: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to
            jaapoosten@... cannot be delivered. This account has been
            disabled or discontinued [#102]. - mta1188.mail.ne1.yahoo.com)

            That's probably what happened here - the e-mail from ARRL telling you
            that your certificate was about to expire was rejected by Yahoo.

            At 03:48 PM 8/18/2013, jaapoosten wrote:
            >b.t.w.
            >Did you try to retieve data form your old HD using an HD adapter tool
            >SATA or ATA?
            >

            >I have also a problem with TQSL
            >suddenly I can no longer sign and upload log files
            > the message is no valid certificate found
            >just like that. Tha last upload i did was 29 July
            > When I look with TQSLCert the 2 keys I had are gone
            >

            >But I have my PA0O.p12 file saved
            >Load certificate file gives no error but it says:
            >
            >Loaded private key for: PA0O
            >Duplicate Trusted Root Authority certificate: American Radio Relay
            >League Logbook of the World
            >Duplicate Certificate Authority certificate: American Radio Relay
            >League Logbook of the World
            >Duplicate User certificate: PA0O (J.C. van Oosten) DXCC = 263
            >
            >Root Certificates: Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 1 Error: 0
            >CA Certificates: Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 1 Error: 0
            >User Certificates: Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 1 Error: 0
            >Private Keys: Loaded: 1 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
            >Configuration Data: Loaded: 0 Duplicate: 0 Error: 0
            >
            >and the certificates will not come back
            >
            >did they silently expire? I think not because then the key is present
            >but with a red cross marked. I had that once

            If you right click on that circled key icon, what does the popup menu
            display?

            One thing you can try is to enable display of all certificates. Start
            up tqslcert, use "File","Preferences" to open the preferences window.
            On the "Certificates" tab, select both "Renewed certificates" and
            "Expired certificates". Do you now have two PA0O certificates displayed
            in tqslcert?

            My guess is that the PA0O.p12 that you restored is a backup of an old
            callsign certificate; it's not working since there's a newer one
            installed. Or, perhaps it's expired.

            What I suggest is that you delete any PA0O certificates that show up in
            TQSL and create a new, unsigned certificate request. Upload that to
            LoTW and they should issue you a new certificate.