Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Awards

  • John Bastin
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 1, 2009
      On Feb 1, 2009, at 00:17 , Don wrote:

      > First, I am happy, I just got my #50 for my first WAS.
      > I start the application process, but have a question. What are
      > the
      > "credits" ?

      The "credits" are the QSL records from LotW that you use for WAS. You
      pay for each QSL "credit".

      > I paid for 50..
      > there is a $10 for the certificate. which is fine.
      > there is .70 for postage, which is fine.
      > there is a $5.00 LoTW fee.... ??????
      > then what are the credits for ?
      > please do not misunderstand me, I have no problem at all
      > with supporting the LoTW program, but it feels as if I am being
      > charged
      > twice.

      Not really, although you're correct, they seem to have plenty of
      charges.

      The credits are cheaper if you purchase more at one time. I'm doing
      DXCC as well as going for 5BWAS so I just purchased 500 credits for
      future use. That gets the cost down to $.15 each.

      > I am sure that it's just me and my failing to understand the system.
      > Why not just one single fee when applying for an award?

      Because the one single fee would seem so high nobody would want to pay
      it? At least this way you have somewhat of a breakdown of what your
      money is paying for.

      John K8AJS
      jbastin@...
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 8