Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Station Location

  • Robert Chudek - K0RC
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 31, 2008
      The location issue becomes a serious handicap quickly for active mobile stations. LoTW allows you to identify your TX location down to the county and grid square level. These two fields are available when setting up station locations in tQSL. The ARRL only offers awards at the DXCC and WAS level, so these more precise location ID's don't buy you anything at the moment.

      That said, if LoTW in the future is going to support awards based on grid squares or counties these fields will become important. This topic comes up after state QSO Parties where mobile stations sometimes activate a couple dozen counties. The seasoned contesters handle this with their contesting software which keeps track of the counties they activate. Then they create unique station location identities in tQSL and make separate uploads for each county they operated.

      The issue then becomes which callsign variation should be uploaded to LoTW? If I activate my county while mobile in the MN QSO Party, I will sign KØRC/CHS (for Chisago county, MN). Depending on the stations I work, they might enter my call into their log as KØRC, KØRC/M, KØRC/CHS, or KØRC/M/CHS. It depends upon their specific logging software and/or their personal decision what will go into their log. I will upload my log to LoTW using KØRC. If I activated 10 counties, I will make 10 uploads using the 10 station locations I defined in tQSL.

      There are other opinions on this topic. My position is "what call will the FCC look for when they come looking for me?" That's the call I will be loading into LoTW for my contacts. All the other qualifier suffixes like /QRP, /LH, /AE, etc only complicate the job of managing your records on LoTW.

      73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 2, 2009
        Not sure if you get county hunting credit if you work stations at a certain county.

        Forget WAS award cause of your travels.

        DXCC your OK with as long as your in the lower 48 States so using your home call you can
        get DXCC credit because of the way the new rules read.