Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Question: How to download pre-1993 DXCC QSO data from LoTW or ARRL DXCC database

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 11, 2008
      At 07:47 PM 11/11/2008, Art W2NRA w2nra@opt wrote:

      >I had the bulk of my Mixed and CW DXCC credits for QSOs prior to 1993.
      >If I
      >remember right, at some point my Mixed and CW DXCC award totals were
      >added
      >to the LotW Award page. However I did not receive band credit for many of
      >those QSOs that I got Mixed and CW credit for. I had to resubmit those
      >cards to get my band DXCC up to date. If your basic DXCC awards earned
      >prior to 1993 do not reflect your current DXCC totals on LotW, I'd give
      >Bill, NC1L, and ask him about getting your LotW Awards up to date.

      I don't think Bill can help here because the early paper records don't
      have any additional information.

      For example, I've got a bunch of Mixed DXCC credits from pre-1993. The
      ONLY thing that the paper records had is an indication of what entity
      was contacted. No mode, no callsign, no band. Just "Mixed". There is
      nothing that ARRL can do to give me credit for band or mode for those
      QSOs unless I submit the QSL cards again. I have several hundred
      band/country credits I'll eventually have to re-submit to ARRL if I'm
      going to get credit for them.

      You can, of course, upload the QSOs to LoTW and hope they'll be matched
      (assuming your logbooks are still at hand). Without the cards, you'll
      either have to hope for LoTW or request new QSLs.
      -Rick
    • Dwayne Lipscomb
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 11, 2008
        Hans,

        Thanks for your insightful email.  WOW ARTIFICIALLY ARRANGED?  If I didn't know better I was say you are calling me a cheater.  I will consider our previous QSO a cheated QSO and delete it from my records.  I wont' want you to be placed in a position that would compromise your views.

        Dwayne
        KD4POJ

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 11, 2008
          Richard thanks for the info.  I might be able to get on the 20m net but wont be on the 80m net as it is to low in Freq for me.

          Hope to see you there on 20m some time.

          Dwayne
          KD4POJ

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 11, 2008
            Hey, do what you gotta do.

            I wasn't calling you a cheater, and I apologize if it sounded that way.

            I was just expressing a preference for QSO's "caught in the wild".  It's perfectly OK for you to have a different preference.

            73, and good luck

            de Hans, K0HB
            Just a boy and his radio

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008

              This is BS in my opinion. Some of the most difficult QSO’s made by hams, those made by EME and meteor scatter, are pre-arranged and I don’t think anyone thinks they are cheating or are less ethical.

              Julio, W4HY

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008

                Any how many dxpeditions prearrange contacts with those within their club or other friends & acquaintances?  I agree with Julio – I work dx on hf and in the VHF/UHF spectrum and have done some EME over the years.  During VHF contests we regularly ask if there are other bands available for additional contact.

                What do you consider the use of dx spots or other “aids” of this sort?  This definitely is not “hunting them down!”

                Take them as you can get them – the contact STILL HAS TO BE COMPLETED TO BE CONFIRMED.  Or, are we going to start questioning the completeness of a contact for credit?

                Enjoy the hobby.

                73,

                Hank

                KC2TA

                Henry G. Eveland

                609-903-1285 (C)

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Hey guys, every ham works in modes and ways that are to their taste. Some do skeds others don't, some do QRP while others burn all the watts they can get, some use digital modes and some do CW. It is all ham radio, nothing is inherently bad, vive la difference!.
                  As for opinions, there is even room for more variety there, as opinions are not even regulated by the FCC... as of yet at least. But perhaps as communicators we can learn to use effective ways to express those opinions and not slide down to levels that, well, we often refrain (or should) from using on the air...

                  * 73 de Amir, K9CHP www.K9CHP.net
                    WAC, VE (ARRL and W5YI)
                  * K9 Senior Handler (SAR)
                  * NYS Federation Certification Tester
                  * 1SRG www.1srg.org

                • K0HB
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008
                    Time out fellows!

                    I didn't intend to imply any cheating. Go back and read my post --- I only
                    said such contacts "don't appeal" to me. If it was interpreted as
                    "cheating" I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding I may have
                    caused. If the rules allow it, then pure and simple, it is NOT cheating,
                    and I do not intend to suggest that it is.

                    > What do you consider the use of dx spots or other "aids"
                    > of this sort? This definitely is not "hunting them down!"

                    For MY old-fashioned style of operation, I consider packet spots and other
                    such assistance to be a crutch. I fully acknowledge that I'm something of a
                    purist, and that this is my PERSONAL preference and that many other fine
                    operators hold different opinions. I and some of my best buddies have long
                    conversations on the topic, and I notice that most contest sponsors see
                    "both sides" of the issue by recognizing both "assisted" and "not-assisted"
                    categories. In my mind, that validates the notion that both styles are
                    acceptable, and that each of us can choose what appeals to us.

                    73, de Hans, K0HB
                    "Un chasseur sachant chasser chasse sans son chien.

                    "We pass the word around; we ponder how the case is put by different
                    people, we read the poetry; we meditate over the literature; we play
                    the music; we change our minds; we reach an understanding. Society
                    evolves this way, not by shouting each other down, but by the unique
                    capacity of unique, individual human beings to comprehend each other."
                    --Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail (1979)
                  • Art Searle W2NRA
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008
                      Hi Hans,

                      Well said. And I agree with you. Skeds for awards are not for me but I
                      have no problem with others doing it. I still need one state for LotW RTTY
                      WAS and have for over a year. I choose to keep looking. Oh and one more
                      thing, you will never, ever hear this on your HF receiver, "W2NRA, you are
                      on the list!"

                      73 Art W2NRA
                      "Keep to the Code!"
                      w2nra.com
                      > I didn't intend to imply any cheating. Go back and read my post --- I
                      > only
                      > said such contacts "don't appeal" to me. If it was interpreted as
                      > "cheating" I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding I may have
                      > caused. If the rules allow it, then pure and simple, it is NOT cheating,
                      > and I do not intend to suggest that it is.
                      >
                      >> What do you consider the use of dx spots or other "aids"
                      >> of this sort? This definitely is not "hunting them down!"
                      >
                      > For MY old-fashioned style of operation, I consider packet spots and other
                      > such assistance to be a crutch. I fully acknowledge that I'm something of
                      > purist, and that this is my PERSONAL preference and that many other fine
                      > operators hold different opinions. I and some of my best buddies have
                      > long
                      > conversations on the topic, and I notice that most contest sponsors see
                      > "both sides" of the issue by recognizing both "assisted" and
                      > "not-assisted"
                      > categories. In my mind, that validates the notion that both styles are
                      > acceptable, and that each of us can choose what appeals to us.
                      >
                      > 73, de Hans, K0HB
                      > "Un chasseur sachant chasser chasse sans son chien.
                      >

                      > "We pass the word around; we ponder how the case is put by different
                      > people, we read the poetry; we meditate over the literature; we play
                      > the music; we change our minds; we reach an understanding. Society
                      > evolves this way, not by shouting each other down, but by the unique
                      > capacity of unique, individual human beings to comprehend each other."
                      > --Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail (1979)

                    • markmumu11
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008
                        Thanks go to Rick K1MU, and to Art W2NRA and Dave AA6YQ, and
                        Sebastion, who was the first to reply. I learned much. Your comments
                        were all much appreciated.

                        With the basic questions already fielded here, I now plan to write to
                        the LoTW and DXCC desks for some amplification on this. Will let you
                        know what I find out. 73 de Mark w2or

                        Post Script: There are three other questions for the list, which I
                        will post separately. Tks.

                        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, Rick Murphy/K1MU <k1mu-lotw@...>

                      • w8okn@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008
                          Gents,

                          If I recall, the first QSO across the ocean was scheduled. If I am correct or not, being able to make contact is the point. So if you are testing a new antenna, running QRP or checking the results on a certain band at a certain time, wouldn't we schedule it so that one knows to listen for the other signal?

                          I see no problem in scheduling a QSO. But perhaps it is a matter of opinion.
                          --
                          From the desk of W8OKN, northern Michigan

                        • John Bastin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008
                            Art,

                            I'm curious, what state do you still need on RTTY? If it's not too
                            much help, I can tell you who I worked and where I worked them (it was
                            probably in a contest)...:-)

                            73,

                            John, K8AJS

                            John Bastin
                            jbastin@...
                          • Art Searle W2NRA
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 12, 2008
                              Hi John,

                              Thanks for the offer, but it's not that rare and there are several stations
                              that work contests. I just need to catch one. Besides having a nemesis and
                              then working it can be quite rewarding.

                              73 Art W2NRA
                              "Keep to the Code!"
                              w2nra.com