Who NEEDS the LoTW and the ARRL:

  • banners_dad
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
      Here's what I don't understand: suppose I work all 50 states and
      upload the QSOs to LoTW. And suppose only 45 of the QSO recipients
      respond to LoTW on their end. According to what has been written about
      LoTW, I will not qualify for a WAS certificate. Now, I know I worked
      all the states and have enough self-confidence not to have to relay on
      some nameless committee to verify that I did in fact have those 50
      qualifying QSOs. For my purposes, the knowledge that I have worked all
      fifty states is good enough for me. Oh, I suppose I could print up
      some spiffy looking certificate to boldly proclaim that I worked all
      states—maybe that might impress some visitor to my shack, but for me
      this is not what amateur radio or awards is all about.

      For me amateur radio is about communicating, learning about different
      parts of the world, learning about different cultures, improving ones
      communications skills, and improving ones technical knowledge. I don't
      require the services of someone who wasn't there to tell me that I
      qualify for some award, but, sadly, there are a lot of folk out there
      who do.

      K8LD--Mark
    • banners_dad
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
        That should be "rely" on some nameless committee"...

        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "banners_dad" <MPALEY@...> wrote:

        > Here's what I don't understand: suppose I work all 50 states and
        > upload the QSOs to LoTW. And suppose only 45 of the QSO recipients
        > respond to LoTW on their end. According to what has been written about
        > LoTW, I will not qualify for a WAS certificate. Now, I know I worked
        > all the states and have enough self-confidence not to have to relay on
        > some nameless committee to verify that I did in fact have those 50
        > qualifying QSOs. For my purposes, the knowledge that I have worked all
        > fifty states is good enough for me. Oh, I suppose I could print up
        > some spiffy looking certificate to boldly proclaim that I worked all
        > states—maybe that might impress some visitor to my shack, but for me
        > this is not what amateur radio or awards is all about.
        >
        > For me amateur radio is about communicating, learning about different
        > parts of the world, learning about different cultures, improving ones
        > communications skills, and improving ones technical knowledge. I don't
        > require the services of someone who wasn't there to tell me that I
        > qualify for some award, but, sadly, there are a lot of folk out there
        > who do.
        >
        > K8LD--Mark

      • Peter Jordahl
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
          The simplest answer to your question is that for the 5 states for which
          you got NO LOTW confirmation, you do it the old-fashioned way: You send
          a QSL and ask for a return QSL. LOTW will then have saved you 90% of the
          mail cost and hassle. I use it all the time, even though I am now
          sending out mail QSL's for DX stations who don't use LOTW. Some do, some
          don't; take advantage of those who do!
          73
          Pete K5GM

          banners_dad wrote:
          > Here's what I don't understand: suppose I work all 50 states and
          > upload the QSOs to LoTW. And suppose only 45 of the QSO recipients
          > respond to LoTW on their end. According to what has been written about
          > LoTW, I will not qualify for a WAS certificate. Now, I know I worked
          > all the states and have enough self-confidence not to have to relay on
          > some nameless committee to verify that I did in fact have those 50
          > qualifying QSOs. For my purposes, the knowledge that I have worked all
          > fifty states is good enough for me. Oh, I suppose I could print up
          > some spiffy looking certificate to boldly proclaim that I worked all
          > states—maybe that might impress some visitor to my shack, but for me
          > this is not what amateur radio or awards is all about.
          >
          > For me amateur radio is about communicating, learning about different
          > parts of the world, learning about different cultures, improving ones
          > communications skills, and improving ones technical knowledge. I don't
          > require the services of someone who wasn't there to tell me that I
          > qualify for some award, but, sadly, there are a lot of folk out there
          > who do.
          >
          > K8LD--Mark

        • HK3CW
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
            The one thing I say is that your attitude towards LOTW and the ARRL are wrong.  If you know you have contacted 50 states, be a happy camper and go on with your life, you don't need the ARRL to certify it.  You can rest assured that the DXCC or WAS achievements concern only you, I know that 99.9 % of hams out there would care less if you had 1 or 50 states confirmed, the ARRL only backups what you tell them with the qsos on the LoTW or the qsl cards.  Big deal if you don't want to.

            73 de HK3CW  ROB

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
              --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "HK3CW" <cwdude@...> wrote:

              "If you know you have contacted 50 states, be a happy camper and go on
              with your life, you don't need the ARRL to certify it."...which is my
              point...I'm just surprised at how many folks get so bent out of shape
              over this kind of stuff...

              > The one thing I say is that your attitude towards LOTW and the ARRL
              are wrong. If you know you have contacted 50 states, be a happy
              camper and go on with your life, you don't need the ARRL to certify
              it. You can rest assured that the DXCC or WAS achievements concern
              only you, I know that 99.9 % of hams out there would care less if you
              had 1 or 50 states confirmed, the ARRL only backups what you tell them
              with the qsos on the LoTW or the qsl cards. Big deal if you don't
              want to.

              > 73 de HK3CW ROB

            • Dwayne Lipscomb
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                Mark,

                Yes you are partially correct.  However you can submitt the missing QSOs via cards to your card checker and the contacts confirmed with LoTW and still receive the award.

                Granted if you dont chase paper, there is no need say for you to upload your logs other than to help fellow hams that do chase paper.  A great part of the hobby that I have found over the years (and don't see much in other hobbys) is the fact that HAMs are the most helpful and have a tighter brother and sisterhood than others.  Your uploading your logs to help others out with different interests shows your great Ham sprite.

                The reasons you enjoy the hobby are great ones but not the only ones.  That is what is so great about this hobby is there are so many different things to do with it and in the process of chasing paper others learn about the same things you are talking about.

                As for having some one verify the award just keeps honest folks honest..  You know as well as I there are those that have well lets say a self confidence issue and will go out of their way to boast they have done this and done that.  However in actuallity have never done anything but cheat, lie and steal.  Having the card checkers and LoTW trys to help us sort through the smoke screens.  I have heard many folks say they worked this country and used this radio or antenna system.  Helped with communications for one storm or fire some where and never did a thing.  I guess you will always have someone there like that and I don't think we will ever truly be free of those folks on the bands.

                Anyway, I would like to thank you for your uploading of your logs to help others attain an honest record of the QSOs they have had with you.  I also hope that you will continue with teaching folks about you and your neck of the woods.  Many folks overseas I am sure have the same interests you do and would make for a great experience for all.

                As for participation with the ARRL well that is completely up to you.  Again you dont have to be a member of ARRL  to upload your logs to help out your fellow hams.  Just uploading your logs again shows your great ham sprite and willingness to help others more fully enjoy the hobby.

                Dwayne
                KD4POJ
                OX3PG
                ex DA1PJ
                ex op HZ1AB

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                  Hi Mark,

                  Like you, I'm not an avid wallpaper chaser, so I don't "need" LoTW.

                  But a lot of guys and gals >>do<< love to receive and display awards, so I participate in LoTW.

                  Doesn't cost me anything, it takes me little time, and it makes other hams feel good.  Hek-uv-a-dele!

                  73, de Hans, K0HB

                • Glenn VA3DX
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Sounds like K8LD wont be bothered with LOTW.

                    His comment that " sadly " other folks want the ARRL awards , indicates
                    to me that he probably would never support others.

                    Since he discounts the interests of others in regards to the WAS award,
                    as being trivial , I hereby regard his views as such.

                    VA3DX

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                        The last line in your post says " sadly " in reference to
                        those folks who do like chasing awards. It sounds like
                        you feel they are inferior for doing so.... thats all....

                        To each his own  .... dont judge other amateurs for having interests
                        other than your own ...

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                          On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 13:04, banners_dad <MPALEY@...> wrote:

                          > Here's what I don't understand: suppose I work all 50 states and
                          > upload the QSOs to LoTW. And suppose only 45 of the QSO recipients
                          > respond to LoTW on their end. According to what has been written about
                          > LoTW, I will not qualify for a WAS certificate. Now, I know I worked

                          You send the paper QSLs to the ARRL or have an HF Awards Manager (like
                          me!) verify them and send it in.

                          The instructions *are* on the LoTW site ...

                          No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                            On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 13:50, Dwayne Lipscomb <nd_kd4poj@...> wrote:

                            > Granted if you dont chase paper, there is no need say for you to upload your
                            > logs other than to help fellow hams that do chase paper. A great part of

                            And if the OP doesn't even care to do that and thinks that the whole
                            thing is stupid, why would he/she even subscribe to this list?

                            No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!
                          • Dave M
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                              Take it to a chat room!!!!! Why QRM this list..

                              > > Granted if you dont chase paper, there is no need say for you to upload
                              your
                              > > logs other than to help fellow hams that do chase paper. A great part of
                              >
                              > And if the OP doesn't even care to do that and thinks that the whole
                              > thing is stupid, why would he/she even subscribe to this list?
                              >

                              > --
                              >
                              > No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!

                              9:41 AM

                              9:41 AM

                            • Charles Gallo
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                On 10/7/2008 banners_dad wrote:

                                > Here's what I don't understand: suppose I work all 50 states and
                                > upload the QSOs to LoTW. And suppose only 45 of the QSO recipients
                                > respond to LoTW on their end. According to what has been written about
                                > LoTW, I will not qualify for a WAS certificate.

                                Just as if you hadn't presented 50 cards

                                As you say, for many of us (including me - I have cards 2 years old to go out) , we know what we have, and have not done - I figure I put my QSOs up there in case someone wants them, and to save me some postage, but it's no sweat off my brow

                                --
                                73 de KG2V

                                For the Children - RKBA!

                                Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's hand grenades I throw...
                              • Charles Gallo
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                  On 10/7/2008 Dave M wrote:

                                  > Take it to a chat room!!!!! Why QRM this list..

                                  yes - why....
                                  --
                                  73 de KG2V

                                  For the Children - RKBA!

                                  Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
                                  for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
                                • Sebastian
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                    You are not the only one that is puzzled by that!

                                    73 de W4AS
                                    Sebastian

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                      Well some folks need their outlets....But it's funny in a way to see someone say negative things about something that they profess they dont care about.

                                      Takes all kinds.

                                      You are not the only one that is puzzled by that!

                                      73 de W4AS
                                      Sebastian

                                      On Oct 7, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Peter Laws wrote:

                                      > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 13:50, Dwayne Lipscomb <nd_kd4poj@yahoo. com>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Granted if you dont chase paper, there is no need say for you to
                                      >> upload your
                                      >> logs other than to help fellow hams that do chase paper. A great
                                      >> part of
                                      >
                                      > And if the OP doesn't even care to do that and thinks that the whole
                                      > thing is stupid, why would he/she even subscribe to this list?

                                    • Jerry
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                        looks like "troll alert"  after all the responses .....

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                          What List are you talking about ???

                                          I'd Like to see where this STUPID Thread is going to GO !!!

                                          73
                                          Bob, K1VU

                                          At 17:10 10/7/2008, Dave M wrote:

                                          >Take it to a chat room!!!!! Why QRM this list..

                                        • Jerry
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                                            Keyword = STUPID .... thread.