Can't Load my Certificate

  • mccormick_mack
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2008
      I saved my P12 file from my old computer that was running LOTW.

      I built a new XP Pro computer and when I try to import my p12 file I
      recieve the following error: System error: C\Document and
      Settings\mmccormi\Application Data/TrustedQSL/keys/WB4MAK: Permission
      denied

      I already had ownership of all LOTW folders but tried taking ownership
      of them anyway. It made no difference.

      If I create a different user profile I can successfully upload the p12
      file and upload files to LOTW. I don't want to use a different user
      profile.

      All ideas to correct this problem are gratefully appreciated!

      73,

      Mack
      WB4MAK
    • Sebastian
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2008
        I had the exact same problem for weeks. I had to end up using LoTW
        software on my Mac - never had a problem there. I also saved my .p12
        file, and tried to import it to my PC and got the same error.

        I worked on this for several days, and thought that perhaps there was
        something wrong with my PC, so I installed it in my wife's XP machine,
        and got the same error.

        I don't know what I did, but I then went ahead and created a new .p12
        file from my Mac, moved it over to the PC, and downloaded the program
        again; and I was finally able to load it.

        I wish I could help you and tell you what made it work, but
        unfortunately, I can't. And I have a feeling you are not alone.

        73 de W4AS
        Sebastian

        On Aug 3, 2008, at 8:51 PM, mccormick_mack wrote:

        > I saved my P12 file from my old computer that was running LOTW.
        >
        > I built a new XP Pro computer and when I try to import my p12 file I
        > recieve the following error: System error: C\Document and
        > Settings\mmccormi\Application Data/TrustedQSL/keys/WB4MAK: Permission
        > denied
        >
        > I already had ownership of all LOTW folders but tried taking ownership
        > of them anyway. It made no difference.
        >
        > If I create a different user profile I can successfully upload the p12
        > file and upload files to LOTW. I don't want to use a different user
        > profile.
        >
        > All ideas to correct this problem are gratefully appreciated!
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Mack
        > WB4MAK
      • Robert Chudek - K0RC
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 3, 2008
          I concur with Sebastian. I loaded tQSL on a desktop and a laptop, both running XP Pro SP2. The desktop took my original certificate but the laptop did not. I did the same as you and created a new user account on the laptop and then it took it. Likewise, I didn't want a second user account on the laptop. I bought a larger disk drive for the laptop and reinstalled XP from scratch and then tQSL and the original certificate went in just fine. I can only guess there was some intrinsic problem with the OS security system on the laptop for the main user account. When I talked to the help desk at ARRL, they admitted they had seen this issue "a couple of times" and didn't have a known solution.

          73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 10, 2008
            At 08:51 PM 8/3/2008, mccormick_mack wrote:
            >I saved my P12 file from my old computer that was running LOTW.
            >
            >I built a new XP Pro computer and when I try to import my p12 file I
            >recieve the following error: System error: C\Document and
            >Settings\mmccormi\Application Data/TrustedQSL/keys/WB4MAK: Permission
            >denied
            >
            >I already had ownership of all LOTW folders but tried taking ownership
            >of them anyway. It made no difference.

            Sorry for the long delay in responding to this, but I don't think
            you've gotten an answer yet.

            The "Permission denied" means that you either can't create a file in
            the "keys" folder, or that there's an existing WB4MAK file in that
            folder that you don't have permission to overwrite. Did you by chance
            save your LoTW folders onto a CD-R and restore them from that disc?
            That'll create a WB4MAK file that's marked as read-only, and you won't
            be able to restore the .p12 on top of it. Use explorer to go to that
            directory, right click the WB4MAK file, then select "properties". If
            the "Read Only" attribute is selected, uncheck it. Now you should be
            able to restore the .p12 file.

            >If I create a different user profile I can successfully upload the p12
            >file and upload files to LOTW. I don't want to use a different user
            >profile.

            That seems to demonstrate that you're able to write to the keys folder
            and that your .p12 file is intact. That probably means that my guess is
            right. If not, it only takes a few seconds to investigate.

            At least you're running XP. If it was Vista, it may be something
            entirely different.
          • mccormick_mack
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 10, 2008
              Rick,

              Thank you for the suggestions but they didn't work. I did not have a
              wb4mak.p12 file anywhere on the computer. I agree with you that it
              appears that I don't have permission to write to the folder but I've
              checked and I have full admin rights. The folder is not marked "read
              only".

              Apparently, others have experience a similar problem so any help you
              can provide is most appreciated.

              73,

              Mack
              WB4MAK
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 10, 2008
                At 05:50 PM 8/10/2008, mccormick_mack wrote:
                >Rick,
                >
                >Thank you for the suggestions but they didn't work. I did not have a
                >wb4mak.p12 file anywhere on the computer. I agree with you that it
                >appears that I don't have permission to write to the folder but I've
                >checked and I have full admin rights. The folder is not marked "read
                >only".

                It's not complaining about WB4MAK.P12, it's complaining about WB4MAK.
                If you'll look in the keys folder, there's a bunch of files there with
                no file type.
                That's the file that TrustedQSL is trying to write.

                Having full admin rights doesn't allow you to overwrite a read-only
                file, so that doesn't make a difference in this case. However, since
                the folder isn't read-only, having admin rights almost always allows
                you to create files in that folder, so there's a pretty good chance
                there's a read-only or otherwise protected WB4MAK file in the keys folder.

                You may not be able to browse there unless you enable viewing of hidden
                files and folders (I have that enabled on my machine.) Windows-E to
                bring up explorer, Tools/Folder Options, View tab, select "Show hidden
                files and folders".

                >Apparently, others have experience a similar problem so any help you
                >can provide is most appreciated.

                I may just try restoring a .P12 here to see if I can reproduce this
                error, attempting with my existing private key in place but read-only.
              • mccormick_mack
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 10, 2008
                  I solved my problem.

                  I deleted trustedQSL using add/remove programs. I then removed every
                  folder, including user data, that was used by trustedQSL. Finally, I
                  deleted every reference to trustedSQL in the registry. Don't skip these
                  last two steps as there was data scattered throughout windows.

                  I rebooted and reinstalled trustedSQL. I was then able to successfully
                  reload my *.p12 certificate.

                  I thought I had performed all these steps previously but this time I
                  was extra diligent to make sure every trace of trustedSQL was removed.

                  I'm a happy camper now and hopefully this will help others having the
                  same problem. If you're not comfortable with these steps I recommend
                  you ask a friend who is to help you.

                  73,

                  Mack
                  WB4MAK
                • Dwayne Lipscomb
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 10, 2008
                    As many of you know there has been little news other than the recent request by the LoTW folks not to upload any new logs to LoTW.

                    As I stated in previous threads that I have been trying since April to get the issue with some contacts not receiving the proper credit in the WAS portion of LoTW.  I earlier emailed the folks at LoTW and finally got a response.

                    here is an excerpt of that email.
                    Hi Dwayne,

                    Thank you for your excellent email.  Your concerns have been forwarded to my Supervisor.

                    From the LoTW-Help desk, we have sent the information on, but the problem (where QSL show up in 20m RTTY and don't show up for Basic) has not been resolved yet.

                    We very much appreciate your comments and observations.  As I write, they are trying to come up with ways to revamp how LoTW is presented and correct problems.

                    I am afraid that I do not know the timetable for any implementation of presentation and corrections.

                    We apologize that the corrections have not occurred by now and hope that they will resolved soon.

                    Thank you.

                    This is progress, and like I stated to this individual and I hope that they fowarded the suggestion that the folks there at ARRL should post more info on what is going on with LoTW other then what big gun finally got 300+ DXCC comfirmed.  I and some on this group would like to know what is going on other than the dribble being feed us.

                    I for one would like to know that my time isn't wasted on LoTW like it was on eQSL and my membership with the ARRL is being used for some good purpose.  Just more news either on the websites (LoTW and ARRL homepages) or even in QST would be much appericated.

                    Well that is all I have for now.

                    Dwayne
                    KD4POJ
                    Waiting to upload more contacts and see some kind of progress with the problems in the LoTW WAS program to be fixed.

                  • rojomn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 10, 2008

                      Pretty scary that some of the most basic and root function of LotW has defects. I doubt any extension is going to happen any time soon!

                      Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
                      N 44.082147  W 92.513085 1050' EN34rb
                      Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 10, 2008
                        I don't see it as "scary".  Hell, if you cared to look I'm sure you could find defects in the "basic and root functions" of Windows 3.11.

                        73, de Hans, K0HB

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 11, 2008
                          I didn't see that request. Could you point me to it, please?

                          73 ... John, OZ4RT

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 11, 2008
                            Dwayne,

                            The is no information on the ARRL LoTW Website indicating a moratorium on
                            uploads. Pleas share your source.

                            John
                            AE5B

                            On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:38:12 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                            >As many of you know there has been little news other than the recent request by the LoTW folks not to upload any new logs to LoTW.

                            >Well that is all I have for now.

                            >Dwayne
                            >KD4POJ
                            >Waiting to upload more contacts and see some kind of progress with the problems in the LoTW WAS program to be fixed.

                          • John Bastin
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 11, 2008
                              On Oct 11, 2008, at 10:31 , AE5B wrote:

                              > Dwayne,
                              >
                              > The is no information on the ARRL LoTW Website indicating a
                              > moratorium on
                              > uploads. Pleas share your source.
                              >
                              > John
                              > AE5B

                              This message appeared on the DXLab mailing list:

                              >> From the LotW Site....
                              >>
                              >> "Oct 9, 2008: Log Processing Slowed -- 1735Z 9 Oct 08
                              >>
                              >> Log processing is functioning very slowly. We are working to fix
                              >> this problem. Sorry for the delays.
                              >>
                              >> Please do not submit logs (.tq8 files) or resubmit logs, until
                              >> further notice."
                              >>

                              >> 73 Steve, W1CDX

                              Like you, I searched the site but couldn't find where this "quote"
                              came from.

                              73,

                              John Bastin
                              jbastin@...
                            • Phil Sauvey
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 11, 2008
                                ARRL had that message posted on the LOTW page under "News and Notes" on the evening of the 9th when I uploaded my last batch, but it has since been removed.

                                Phil
                                KL8DX

                                The is no information on the ARRL LoTW Website indicating a moratorium on
                                uploads. Pleas share your source.

                                John
                                AE5B

                                On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:38:12 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                >As many of you know there has been little news other than the recent
                                request by the LoTW folks not to upload any new logs to LoTW.

                                >Well that is all I have for now.

                                >Dwayne
                                >KD4POJ
                                >Waiting to upload more contacts and see some kind of progress with the
                                problems in the LoTW WAS program to be fixed.

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                mailto:ARRL-LOTW-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                mailto:ARRL-LOTW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Dwayne Lipscomb
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 11, 2008
                                  Correct Phil,
                                  John the other day it stated that LoTW was incountering slowed processing rates and they asked until futher notice not to upload certificate requests or new logs.  About 24 hours later it was taken down from the site.

                                  This seemed of little importance at first but when they removed the message from the site it puzzled me.  If you look at old news they have posted there about issues with the server, they left that message there and posted a new message stating all was back to normal.  Seems that they were in a rush not to panic anyone but I find it strange they would just remove the message instead of reassuring folks that all was back to normal and they had the situation undercontrol.

                                  Anyway it has been removed and I did upload a large log last night and all seemed to be working fine.  Granted it was a little slow to reflect in my stats but this morning it appeared that my upload went through.

                                  Dwayne
                                  KD4POJ

                                  From: Phil Sauvey <akdxer@...>
                                  To: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 10:32 AM

                                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ARRL- LOTW/join

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 11, 2008
                                    I doubt this ever happened because it would not be necessary. If they wanted
                                    to stop uploads they could just do it at their end, no problem AND then put
                                    a notice at the sign on screen. Anything else is likely untrue and a bad
                                    rumor to spread. This is just my opinion of course, they could be that
                                    stupid but I doubt it.

                                    Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
                                    N 44.082147 W 92.513085 1050' EN34rb
                                    Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

                                  • Dwayne Lipscomb
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 11, 2008
                                      Gil,

                                      I cut and pasted the remarks straight of the website.  Believe it or not.  That is your choice...but with the lack of news and the lack of communications from the LoTW folks and my recent communications with them about posting more info on the page to help everyone get a better understanding of what is/is not happening it just might be that they are getting the picture.

                                      Also if you read the comments I posted were confirmed by another user.  As he also stated within 24 hours that same post was removed from the site.

                                      As for them being stupid, I don't think they rushed, unsure of how to best keep everyone informed or what ever, they might be, but not like in your words stupid.  Also this is not the first time they have asked for folks to standby on uploads.  This I beleive was an issue they fixed in a very short time.  I do congratulate them on taking care of that issue is short notice.  What ever it was that was slowing the processing down.

                                      I hope that they will start putting more stuff up in the news but we will have to see.  The tech that I have had dailog with has assured me, concerns of the lack of news and the issues with contacts not being given proper credit are on her supervisors desk.

                                      Now we just have to wait and see if they will follow through with our requests for more news and corrects to the problems.

                                      Dwayne
                                      KD4POJ