Re: [ARRL-LOTW] "Most Active Stations" posting on the LOTW website

  • Hamish Moffatt
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
      On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:28:14PM -0400, Mark Robinson wrote:
      > and there's even one for me

      And 5 for me.. thanks Bob

      Hamish
      --
      Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
    • Chip G.
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
        I do have one confirmed from PJ2T. I have one unconfirmed from WP2Z.
        Never made contact with W4MYA. Never made contact with K0HB.

        Here's my $0.02 on the whole QSL business, from someone who is new to
        this game (ham for 16+ years, on HF for just 1.5 years). I love
        getting the cards. I'm like a kid in the candy store when they
        arrive. But I am heavily disenfranchised with the whole situation.
        While the cards are great, I am so disappointed when I make contact
        with someone and they tell me (or I read on QRZ) that they have this
        special requirement or that desire when it comes to QSLing. Many
        require SASE, many require IRCs or stamps or some such. I know QSLing
        can be expensive, especially when you are a popular station (aka
        something rare), but it is quite a put-off for folks trying to make
        their start. On the other hand I've made contacts, especially on the
        GERITOL net, who specifically ask for no SASE (and sometimes no QSL,
        they just want to know if you need one). In fact I had one net
        participant send back the SASE I sent (a huge thanks to that Ham). I
        love the electronic QSL services, except for one aspect. I love how
        quick and easy it is. It takes almost no effort to upload my logs,
        just a few easy steps after I accumulate some contacts. In fact I do
        it after almost every radio session, even if I only have a couple of
        contacts to upload. And I log EVERYTHING. If I check into a net, I
        log contact with the NCS (if it was two-way contact). I log all
        ragchews. The one aspect I don't like about electronic QSLing, so few
        do it. And it's amazing how many do one but not the other. I'm
        talking about LOTW and eQSL, the two that I know about (and I'm
        betting there are others). One of these days I'll even write a script
        to make it easier.

        Anyway, I don't fault others for not doing it, but it can be
        frustrating. I never guessed when I got my HF upgrade last year that
        it would take me this long for a simple WAS award. Not that I'm super
        aggressive. But I only worked my first Hawaii this month. It took me
        a year to get Alaska. I seriously wonder if there are even any Hams
        living in Delaware, that shouldn't have taken nearly this long as I
        have dozens of contacts from each state around it.

        I thank the ARRL for putting together LOTW. I like it and I will
        continue to promote it to anyone who will listen.

        73,
        --de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn
      • Robert Chudek - K0RC
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
          "I never guessed when I got my HF upgrade last year that it would take me this long for a simple WAS award. "

          Yaw butt... !  If it was a piece of cake, how much fun would that be? But here's a suggestion... consider participating in some of the domestic contests, whether on phone or CW. One goal is to try to work all states during one weekend. That's a challenge, but it can be done. If you don't work them all, you still might work new ones that you need.

          A belated welcome to HF, Chip!

          73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
            Chip,

            As someone who was inactive on HF for many, many years and recently
            (2 1/2 yrs ago)joined the ranks of those active DX chasers, I
            empathise with your concerns. One way to decrease your cost of QSL
            cards is to use the bureau. It takes longer to get a response, but
            the cost is much less than sending IRC's or "green stamps" to every
            country.

            One thing that a lot of hams do not know is that for many, if not
            most, countries, their hams have to have an actual QSL card that can
            be verified before the foreign ham get credit for that country. Try
            as they might, ARRL has not been able to get many foreign countries
            to accept LoTW. As a result, when you get a confirmation on LoTW of
            a foreign contact, there is a good posibility that the station doing
            so is doing it as a courtesy to the US ham. He (or she) may still
            need that QSL card from you in order for them to get foreign credit
            for the QSO. This results in many foreign hams that use LoTW having
            to keep a paper log in addition to their electronic log. So have a
            litle patience with them when they ask for a card from you.

            As for the monitary thing, you have to remember that in many foreign
            countries, the cost of having QSL cards printed and mailing them out
            is a much higher percentage of their income than here in the US.
            Some of these hame earn all of the US equivlant of $200/mo. It is
            also tru, unfortunately, that a very small number of them suplement
            their income by making Q's and waiting for the green stamps to
            arrive. Most notably, these will be the stations that you work, sent
            IRC's and/or green stamps, and then get a card from them via the
            bureau.

            The whole thing can be fustrating and heaven knows I have less
            patience than most people. But as I sit here typing this, I am
            looking at 3 DXCC certificates that I proudly display on the wall in
            my shack. And as I get that silly grin on my face, I have forgotten
            about how much work it took and how much money I invested to get some
            of those Q's and even more work to get some of the QSL's approved by
            ARRL. But I'm still smiling...
            73 & good luck,
            Dennis/K9WMS (Lic 1959)

            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Chip G." <n1mie@...> wrote:

            > I do have one confirmed from PJ2T. I have one unconfirmed from
            WP2Z.
            > Never made contact with W4MYA. Never made contact with K0HB.
            >
            > Here's my $0.02 on the whole QSL business, from someone who is new
            > this game (ham for 16+ years, on HF for just 1.5 years). I love
            > getting the cards. I'm like a kid in the candy store when they
            > arrive. But I am heavily disenfranchised with the whole situation.
            > While the cards are great, I am so disappointed when I make
            contact
            > with someone and they tell me (or I read on QRZ) that they have
            this
            > special requirement or that desire when it comes to QSLing. Many
            > require SASE, many require IRCs or stamps or some such. I know
            QSLing
            > can be expensive, especially when you are a popular station (aka
            > something rare), but it is quite a put-off for folks trying to
            make
            > their start. On the other hand I've made contacts, especially on
            the
            > GERITOL net, who specifically ask for no SASE (and sometimes no
            QSL,
            > they just want to know if you need one). In fact I had one net
            > participant send back the SASE I sent (a huge thanks to that Ham).
            > love the electronic QSL services, except for one aspect. I love
            how
            > quick and easy it is. It takes almost no effort to upload my logs,
            > just a few easy steps after I accumulate some contacts. In fact I
            do
            > it after almost every radio session, even if I only have a couple
            of
            > contacts to upload. And I log EVERYTHING. If I check into a net, I
            > log contact with the NCS (if it was two-way contact). I log all
            > ragchews. The one aspect I don't like about electronic QSLing, so
            few
            > do it. And it's amazing how many do one but not the other. I'm
            > talking about LOTW and eQSL, the two that I know about (and I'm
            > betting there are others). One of these days I'll even write a
            script
            > to make it easier.
            >
            > Anyway, I don't fault others for not doing it, but it can be
            > frustrating. I never guessed when I got my HF upgrade last year
            that
            > it would take me this long for a simple WAS award. Not that I'm
            super
            > aggressive. But I only worked my first Hawaii this month. It took
            me
            > a year to get Alaska. I seriously wonder if there are even any
            Hams
            > living in Delaware, that shouldn't have taken nearly this long as
            > have dozens of contacts from each state around it.
            >
            > I thank the ARRL for putting together LOTW. I like it and I will
            > continue to promote it to anyone who will listen.
            >

            > 73,
            > --de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn

          • Chip G.
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
              On Jul 16, 2008, at 15:12, Dennis wrote:

              > And as I get that silly grin on my face, I have forgotten about how
              > much work it took and how much money I invested to get some of
              > those Q's and even more work to get some of the QSL's approved by
              > ARRL. But I'm still smiling.

              Which brings me to another question I've been meaning to ask. I don't
              see the answer in the LOTW FAQ anywhere, so I'll pose it here. Is
              there a way to get card QSLs entered in LOTW?

              -- Chip
              new email: n1mie@...
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 15:05, Chip G. <n1mie@...> wrote:

                > Which brings me to another question I've been meaning to ask. I don't
                > see the answer in the LOTW FAQ anywhere, so I'll pose it here. Is
                > there a way to get card QSLs entered in LOTW?

                You've confused the League's use of "Logbook" and the term Logbook.
                The Logbook of the World is not a logbook.

                It is, and I quote "not a logging program or an archive. LoTW is a
                QSO matching service where users can use the QSO matches toward award
                credit."

                So no, you can't.

                The right of the people to be secure in their persons,
                houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable
                searches and seizures, shall not be violated,
                and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause,
                supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly
                describing the place to be searched, and the persons
                or things to be seized.
              • Art Searle W2NRA
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                  Hi Chip,

                  The answer is no. However, most of us can look at the LotW website and see
                  which callsigns we got credit for including QSL cards. I think that some
                  hams who have been in the DXCC program a long time do not have all of the
                  credits BY CALLSIGN in the LotW matrix.

                  To see which QSOs you have gotten DXCC credit for Log into LotW:

                  1. Click on the Awards Tab
                  2. Click on "Select DXCC Award Account"
                  3. Click on the DXCC you want to see QSLs for. For example, click on
                  "Mixed".
                  4. Then select the "All credits" radio button and then click the "Select
                  DXCC Award to View."
                  5. You will see a listing of all your DXCC credits for the Mixed DXCC.
                  6. Click on any listing to see QSO detail.

                  73 Art W2NRA
                  "Keep to the Code!"
                  w2nra.com
                  > On Jul 16, 2008, at 15:12, Dennis wrote:
                  >
                  >> And as I get that silly grin on my face, I have forgotten about how
                  >> much work it took and how much money I invested to get some of
                  >> those Q's and even more work to get some of the QSL's approved by
                  >> ARRL. But I'm still smiling.
                  >

                  > Which brings me to another question I've been meaning to ask. I don't
                  > see the answer in the LOTW FAQ anywhere, so I'll pose it here. Is
                  > there a way to get card QSLs entered in LOTW?
                  >

                  > -- Chip
                • Chip G.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                    On Jul 17, 2008, at 16:17, Peter Laws wrote:

                    > It is, and I quote "not a logging program or an archive. LoTW is a
                    > QSO matching service where users can use the QSO matches toward
                    > award credit."
                    >
                    > So no, you can't.

                    I didn't think it was a logging program, I have one of those on my
                    computer (pretty much essential to even use LOTW). I didn't think it
                    was an archive. I was looking to match QSOs. I have matches in LOTW,
                    I have matches in eQSL, I have matches in cards. I'd like to combine
                    as much of these as possible to maximize the awards I can earn. Why
                    does this not make sense? I clearly understand that you say it is not
                    possible now. OK, I accept that. But aside from the manpower
                    limitations of verifying cards in LOTW I don't see why I should not
                    be able to use LOTW and cards interchangeably for ARRL awards, NOT
                    separately as two different awards.

                    -- Chip
                    new email: n1mie@...
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                      On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 21:12, Chip G. <n1mie@...> wrote:
                      > On Jul 17, 2008, at 16:17, Peter Laws wrote:
                      >
                      >> It is, and I quote "not a logging program or an archive. LoTW is a
                      >> QSO matching service where users can use the QSO matches toward
                      >> award credit."
                      >>
                      >> So no, you can't.
                      >
                      > I didn't think it was a logging program, I have one of those on my

                      Relax. I'm just ragging on the League for calling it a Logbook and
                      then denying it's a log book. :-)

                      LOTW is separate from DXCC. You can combine LOTW credits and real
                      (paper QSL) credits to obtain DXCC awards. I believe that DXCC
                      credits from real paper QSLs will show up on the Awards page once
                      you've submitted them. Not sure if that's true for WAS

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                        On Jul 17, 2008, at 18:53, Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

                        > The answer is no. However, most of us can look at the LotW website
                        > and see which callsigns we got credit for including QSL cards. I
                        > think that some hams who have been in the DXCC program a long time
                        > do not have all of the credits BY CALLSIGN in the LotW matrix.
                        >
                        > To see which QSOs you have gotten DXCC credit for Log into LotW:

                        I know how to look at the matrix mentioned. I am not sure what is
                        meant by credits here, nor do I follow how it relates to cards.
                        Perhaps this is because I am so new to HF that I have NO awards.
                        None. Not a single one. No WAS, no DXCC, nada. So I have no 'credit'
                        to see if I follow your meaning. When I look at the DXCC matrix I see
                        the following:

                        Award Selected Applied Awarded Total/Current
                        Mixed 16 0 0 16 / 16
                        Phone 14 0 0 14 / 14
                        RTTY 3 0 0 3 / 3
                        80M 3 0 0 3 / 3
                        40M 2 0 0 2 / 2
                        20M 15 0 0 15 / 15
                        10M 1 0 0 1 / 1
                        6M 1 0 0 1 / 1
                        Challenge 22 0 0 ---/ 22

                        I understand the Award column. Selected I believes how many I (or the
                        program) have selected to apply toward the potential award. I believe
                        I can change which QSL is applied toward an award. Applied I think
                        indicates how many are involved in a pending award application.
                        Awarded would probably be those which have been used in an issued
                        award. Total seems obvious but current eludes me. And I don't
                        understand the challenge row, all the other rows are pretty obvious.
                        I'm surprised there's a RTTY column but no PSK column, or are all
                        data pretty much considered RTTY?

                        Looking at my logging program, I have worked 47 states, 39 confirmed,
                        25 in LOTW. I have worked 60 DXCC entities, 23 confirmed, 16 in LOTW.
                        I have worked 21 zones, 12 confirmed, not even done by LOTW. I have
                        14 grids worked on 6m, 3 confirmed, not even done by LOTW.

                        LOTW is for confirming QSOs. All forms of confirmations should be
                        included. Just my $0.02.

                        -- Chip
                        new email: n1mie@...
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                          At 10:30 PM 7/17/2008, Chip G. wrote:
                          >On Jul 17, 2008, at 18:53, Art Searle W2NRA wrote:
                          >
                          > > The answer is no. However, most of us can look at the LotW website
                          > > and see which callsigns we got credit for including QSL cards. I
                          > > think that some hams who have been in the DXCC program a long time
                          > > do not have all of the credits BY CALLSIGN in the LotW matrix.
                          > >
                          > > To see which QSOs you have gotten DXCC credit for Log into LotW:
                          >
                          >I know how to look at the matrix mentioned. I am not sure what is
                          >meant by credits here, nor do I follow how it relates to cards.
                          >Perhaps this is because I am so new to HF that I have NO awards.
                          >None. Not a single one. No WAS, no DXCC, nada. So I have no 'credit'
                          >to see if I follow your meaning. When I look at the DXCC matrix I see
                          >the following:
                          >
                          >Award Selected Applied Awarded Total/Current
                          >Mixed 16 0 0 16 / 16
                          >Phone 14 0 0 14 / 14
                          >RTTY 3 0 0 3 / 3
                          >80M 3 0 0 3 / 3
                          >40M 2 0 0 2 / 2
                          >20M 15 0 0 15 / 15
                          >10M 1 0 0 1 / 1
                          >6M 1 0 0 1 / 1
                          >Challenge 22 0 0 ---/ 22

                          DXCC has mixed, mode and band awards. This display uses some terms that
                          aren't obvious.

                          The table means that you have a total of 22 new credits in LotW. This
                          includes 16 new entities ("mixed"), 14 new ones on phone, 3 on RTTY.
                          and so forth through the bands.

                          "Selected", by default, shows you all the QSOs that aren't already
                          confirmed. You can generate and submit an application, which will get
                          you counts into "applied". "Awarded" tells you what credits you already
                          have awarded by the DXCC desk.
                          "Total" is the total number of credits you have confirmed, with
                          "Current" being those credits with current DXCC entities (i.e., no
                          deleted entities.)

                          The distinction here is "confirmed" means "QSLed on LotW" where
                          "Awarded" means "Applied to your DXCC record".

                          For me, my "Mixed" shows 1, 0, 328, 329/323
                          so I have 1 new one on LotW (thanks to FJ/OH2AM). 328 entities awarded
                          by DXCC, 329 total confirmed (the difference is the new one), with 323
                          current entities confirmed.

                          The Challenge award only counts current entities.

                          >I understand the Award column. Selected I believes how many I (or the
                          >program) have selected to apply toward the potential award. I believe
                          >I can change which QSL is applied toward an award. Applied I think
                          >indicates how many are involved in a pending award application.
                          >Awarded would probably be those which have been used in an issued
                          >award. Total seems obvious but current eludes me. And I don't
                          >understand the challenge row, all the other rows are pretty obvious.
                          >I'm surprised there's a RTTY column but no PSK column, or are all
                          >data pretty much considered RTTY?

                          Yup. All digital modes are "RTTY".
                        • rojomn
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 18, 2008
                            Very helpful explanation here. I don't know why the LOTW can't have better
                            clearer documentation like this.
                            The statement that terms are not obvious is a HUGE understatement.

                            Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
                            N 44.082147 W 92.513085 1050' EN34rb
                            Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 18, 2008
                              On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 21:30, Chip G. <n1mie@...> wrote:

                              > LOTW is for confirming QSOs. All forms of confirmations should be
                              > included. Just my $0.02.

                              You're confusing LoTW, the system that matches QSOs for credit, and
                              DXCC, an program that bestows awards based on QSO credits. Those QSO
                              credits can be in form of LoTW credits or QSLs (field checked or
                              submitted to HQ).

                              As it happens, I believe LoTW *will* show all your credits once you
                              have submitted those credits for an award regardless of whether they
                              are real or virtual. And yes, it is possible to submit a DXCC
                              application made up of both forms of credit.