QRZ.COM?

  • Orest 'Andy' Zajac
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
      Is it me or is QRZ.com down?
    • Simon Brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
        It's down big time

        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/01/the_planet_houston_data_center_fire/

        Simon Brown, HB9DRV

        From: "Orest 'Andy' Zajac" <n1ork@...>

        > Is it me or is QRZ.com down?
      • Orest 'Andy' Zajac
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          Thanks Simon,
          Didn't hear any chatter on the air or on this group so thought I would
          pose the question. Too bad there wasn't a mirror site. Hope they
          didn't suffer too much damage and hope QRZ is back up soon.
          73
        • Vladimir Sidorov
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            For me it's unaccessable as of yesterday.

            73,
            Vladimir VE3IAE

            ---

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
              Down for me also

              W7ZT Mesa, AZ

              Bill Maynard

              On Monday, June 02, 2008, at 09:52AM, "Orest 'Andy' Zajac" <n1ork@...> wrote:
              >Is it me or is QRZ.com down?

            • k1xv
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
                The site was running for a while early this morning. It had a message
                that they had been down due to power supply problems, and they could
                be down again until the problems were fully resolved.

                Ray K1XV
              • Robert Chudek - K0RC
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
                  It's quite the story... a Data Center team's nightmare! There's the blog carrying up-to-the-minute information at: http://forums.theplanet.com/index.php?showtopic=90185

                  Here's a snippet of what happened:

                  From Doug Erwin:

                  This evening (Saturday, 31-May-2008) at 4:55pm CDT in our H1 data center, electrical gear shorted, creating an explosion and fire that knocked down three walls surrounding our electrical equipment room. Thankfully, no one was injured. In addition, no customer servers were damaged or lost.

                  We have just been allowed into the building to physically inspect the damage. Early indications are that the short was in a high-volume wire conduit. We were not allowed to activate our backup generator plan based on instructions from the fire department.

                  This is a significant outage, impacting approximately 9,000 servers and 7,500 customers. All members of our support team are in, and all vendors who supply us with data center equipment are on site. Our initial assessment, although early, points to being able to have some service restored by mid-afternoon on Sunday. Rest assured we are working around the clock.

                  We are in the process of communicating with all affected customers. we are planning to post updates every hour via our forum and in our customer portal. Our interactive voice response system is updating customers as well.

                  There is no impact in any of our other five data centers.

                  I am sorry that this accident has occurred and I apologize for the impact
                  .

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Sunnuvagun!  Maybe there's a market for the Flying Horse books after all!

                    73, de Hans, K0HB
                    Just a boy and his radio