Getting Started

  • smbarrett
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
      Even though this looks like a very hard task, I decided to try LOTW.
      Almost immediately, I am stuck.

      I got through the Generate Certificate Request. But, when I tried to
      upload it, it is nowhere to be found (the .tq5 file). But, when I run
      the TQ5 Certificates program again, it shows one in the window.

      Is this a Windows Vista problem, or is LOTW that hard to get started?
    • Fusaro, Norm W3IZ
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
        Start > search  > *TQ5 to find where you saved the file.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
          I would suggest you simply do a "Find" or a "Search" or whatever it is
          called in Windows Vista for "*.tq5" and that will show you the location of
          the file. When you open the Search routine, just type in "star"-dot-tq5"
          (without the hypens) and initiate the search. ("star" is the asterisk over
          the number "8" and it is a wildcard saying "find any file that ends in .tq5)

          I have heard that Windows Vista sometimes puts files in the places it wants
          them to be placed, not in the places you want them. But, since I don't
          have Vista, I can't speak to that for certain.

          Also, you might want to follow the step-by-step instructions posted here:

          http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingUpLotW

          when you complete your LoTW sign-up. These instructions are very clear
          and, in my opinion, better than what is on the ARRL web site. Just click
          on each step and follow it EXACTLY. You should be on LoTW in short order.

          Clark, W8TN

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
            Yes, I was using the dxlabsuite instructions when I started. As you
            note, the ARRL instructions are not very good.

            When I do a search, the only tq5 result is a shortcut which points to
            the folder c:\program files\LOTW\certificates but the file is not in
            that folder or anywhere else. I followed the instructions that you
            cite from step one until this failure.

            I don't even seem to be able to start over and try it again for a new
            request.

            I've been holding off enrolling in LOTW for a long time. It appears
            that my hesitation in starting this process was warranted.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
              To take Vista's vagaries off the table, I would log into the account named Administrator before attempting to install and run the LotW software. For step-by-step instructions on how to enable this account, see

              href="http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingUpLotW">http://www.dxlabsui te.com/dxlabwiki /SettingUpLotW

              > when you complete your LoTW sign-up. These instructions are very clear
              > and, in my opinion, better than what is on the ARRL web site.
              Just
              click
              > on each step and follow it EXACTLY. You should be on LoTW
              in short
              order.

              > Clark, W8TN
              >

              > At
              09:40 PM 2/2/2008 +0000, you wrote:
              > >Even though this looks like a
              very hard task, I decided to try LOTW.
              > >Almost immediately, I am
              stuck.

              > >I got through the Generate Certificate Request.
              But, when I tried to
              > >upload it, it is nowhere to be found (the .tq5
              file). But, when I run
              > >the TQ5 Certificates program again, it shows
              one in the window.

              > >Is this a Windows Vista problem, or
              is LOTW that hard to get started?

            • rojomn
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                You might want to mention that this leaves the account without a password. I would not want mine in that state.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                  The only account that I have on this computer is the administrator
                  account. I still can't get it to be visible in the folder that is
                  suggested by dxlabsuite site. When I tried to request again, it asked
                  me if I wanted to save over the old file, but the old file is not there.

                  Finally, I decided to stray from the website instructions and save the
                  tq5 to the desktop. That seems to have worked, but I don't know what
                  the downstream consequences are.

                  We'll see. But this reminds me of the flaky way the ARRL started up
                  with their VEC in the 80's. I am not yet impressed.

                  --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@...> wrote:

                  > To take Vista's vagaries off the table, I would log into the account
                  named
                  > Administrator before attempting to install and run the LotW
                  software. For
                  > step-by-step instructions on how to enable this account, see
                  >
                  > http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/InstallVista
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >
                  > Dave, AA6YQ

                  Behalf

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Your description of being able to save a file but not see it means that Vista's Folder Virtualization is at work, which in turn means that you aren't logged into the "account named administrator". When you are logged into this account, your applications can save files anywhere in the filesystem; when you aren't logged into this account, attempts to save files into "sensitive areas" -- like c:\program files -- are redirected as describe here:

                    Saving your .tq5 file to the desktop will work around this, but there may be other instances of this problem, and they may not be so obvious...

                    href="http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/InstallVista">http://www.dxlabsui te.com/dxlabwiki /InstallVista

                    Message-----
                    href="mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com">ARRL-LOTW@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:ARRL-LOTW@yahoogrou ps.com]On

                    href="mailto:ARRL-LOTW%40yahoogroups.com">ARRL-LOTW@yahoogrou ps.com, "Clark L. Stewart" <w8tn@> wrote:

                    > > I would
                    suggest you simply do a "Find" or a "Search" or whatever it is

                    called in Windows Vista for "*.tq5" and that will show you the
                    > location
                    of
                    > > the file. When you open the Search routine, just type in

                    "star"-dot-tq5"
                    > > (without the hypens) and initiate the search.
                    ("star" is the
                    > asterisk over
                    > > the number "8" and it is a
                    wildcard saying "find any file that ends
                    > in .tq5)
                    > >
                    > > I have heard that Windows Vista sometimes puts files in the places

                    it wants
                    > > them to be placed, not in the places you want them. But,
                    since I don't
                    > > have Vista, I can't speak to that for
                    certain.

                    > > Also, you might want to follow the
                    step-by-step instructions posted
                    > here:

                    href="http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingUpLotW">http://www.dxlabsui te.com/dxlabwiki /SettingUpLotW

                    > > when you complete your LoTW sign-up. These instructions are
                    very clear
                    > > and, in my opinion, better than what is on the ARRL web
                    site. Just
                    > click
                    > > on each step and follow it EXACTLY. You
                    should be on LoTW in short
                    > order.
                    > >
                    > > Clark,
                    W8TN

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                      > We'll see. But this reminds me of the flaky way the ARRL started up
                      > with their VEC in the 80's. I am not yet impressed.

                      This isn't ARRL's fault ... You are seeing the fingerprints of
                      mother Microsoft who will not allow users applications to write
                      to the C:\Program Files directory tree. Turn off User Account
                      Control or install tQSL in a directory other that C:\Program
                      Files (I use D:\Ham Programs for all my ham software) and you
                      will not have the problem.

                      The LotW development team needs to update tQSL for Vista
                      compatibility but we'd all be better off if a low yield
                      thermonuclear device took out the Vista development team
                      and their "Microsoft knows best" attitude.

                    • rojomn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Isn't Vista Fun! I wonder how many understand virtualization :-)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                          I am not sure but UAC may prohibit saving to that tree too. At least to be
                          consistent it should. The idea is to stop writing to the file that contains
                          an executable exe. I really don't know as I have not tried this.

                          I have acquired a Laptop which came with Vista Home Premium, so may be back
                          to trying to make things work there, after I get a USB interface. I could
                          not pass up the deal from Sam's' Club as a 900 machine 17 Inch 1.8 gig dual
                          AMD Turion 160 gig with 1 gig memory replaced from Crucial for 52 dollars
                          for 261 dollars. I added 1 gig of memory so I have 2 gigs and it is fast.