I found this to be common in LoTW

  • FireBrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2007
      I worked xx9xx/6, during a contest.
      I uploaded the log to LoTW and never saw a qsl fro xx9xx/6

      But I did see that xx9xx had qsled a contact via LoTW for a non-contest qso.

      so I ran a test and sure enough, xx9xx for the as yet unconfirmed qso did
      match what should have been xx9xx/6

      I also spotted that a dx country that allowed a special prefix yy99yy did
      not qsl via lotw, but when I used the normal prefix for that country my test
      did show up as a LoTW qsl.

      So basically, what this means is that many people do not realize they must
      obtain a certificate for any call sign variation of their basic call xx9xx
      is NOT the same as xx9xx/6
      With the more frequent SE calls on the air, it's pertinent to remind them
      that these LOTW qsos will not provide a match.

      so the LoTW miesters either need to remind people of this fact or code for
      situations where a match occurs for a callsign variation which is as yet
      uncertificated. (is that a word?)
      Or at least when such a callsign variation occurs, LoTW should notify the
      station that his log, was incorrectly uploaded due to the variation.
      I would have thought that it would not be difficult for the LoTW system to
      recognize that a callsign and it's logs were not matching anything due to
      the /6 or difference in the SE call and inform the submitter of his need to
      apply for a certificate and reupload.

      Because so many contests require out of district stations to append the /#
      to their calls, I bet I'm missing a lot of qsls due to this situation.

      Whenever a system becomes completely defined, some damn fool discovers
      something which either abolishes the system or expands it beyond
      recognition.

      Bill H. in Chicagoland
      webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080/
      weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org
    • Joseph Lutz
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2007
        Hi Bill, etal:

            I agree with you completely regarding the xx9xx
        and /6.  I can confirm that also as I kept wondering
        why everyone was getting their 4O5A LoTW cfms
        so fast, and I had zilch!!  Then I 'hit my reset' and
        realized that I did not submit my log also as
        W7LPF.  Primarily for RTTY contests I use /3 -
        and sometimes on CW - when I do, I upload the
        contest files to LoTW twice - as W7LPF &
        W7LPF/3.  [Catches some everytime!!].  BTW,
        my 4O5A contact was there.  I remembered that
        the operator replied without the /3 although I
        repeated it, but as you know in a contest, you
        do not want to spend time trying to confirm
        something like that.  Sometimes I can have as
        many as 20 additions for the call structure that
        I did not employ for that contest [used W3LPF,
        and get additions when submitting the /3].
        73,
        Joe W7LPF [OR /3]

        BTW - I know I will have to probably put on a
        flame resistant suit for my next statement - but:
        The should require anyone outside their 'call
        designated area' indicate that fact with their
        call - like the old daz!!