Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Software bug in LoTW?

  • Gerry Hohn
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
      I was commenting on Roberts original posting. Sorry.

      Gerry VE6LB

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
        Well, the QSO data I sent for the 2 disappeared confirmations with
        VU7LD were exactly the same as the original ones. I extracted the 2
        lines from the original ADIF file, copy/pasted it into a new file,
        signed it and sent it. AND don't forget that those 2 contacts were
        initialy confirmed, so the time was obviously OK.

        For A25KDJ it's more difficult to be sure if W5KDJ uploaded exactly
        the same data. First, I also thought it was a time problem so I
        uploaded twice the contact with the time shifted by -1 hour and +1
        hour. No result. I'm sure it's not possible the time error, if any,
        was greater then 1 hour. So at my opinion it's not very likely to be a
        time problem...

        Greetings, Robert - HB9BZA

        --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry Hohn" <telwest@...> wrote:

        > I was commenting on Roberts original posting. Sorry.
        >
        > Gerry VE6LB

      • Robert Chudek
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
          These types of issues *could* happen if a restore was applied to the LoTW server for some technical reason. BUT, if that were the case, I would expect an announcement to be posted by the ARRL. I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is one possible explanation for mysterious changes from a users perspective.

          73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

          Well, the QSO data I sent for the 2 disappeared confirmations with
          VU7LD were exactly the same as the original ones. I extracted the 2
          lines from the original ADIF file, copy/pasted it into a new file,
          signed it and sent it. AND don't forget that those 2 contacts were
          initialy confirmed, so the time was obviously OK.

          For A25KDJ it's more difficult to be sure if W5KDJ uploaded exactly
          the same data. First, I also thought it was a time problem so I
          uploaded twice the contact with the time shifted by -1 hour and +1
          hour. No result. I'm sure it's not possible the time error, if any,
          was greater then 1 hour. So at my opinion it's not very likely to be a
          time problem...

          Greetings, Robert - HB9BZA

          --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogrou ps.com, "Gerry Hohn" <telwest@... > wrote:

          > I was commenting on Roberts original posting. Sorry.
          >
          > Gerry VE6LB

        • greyowl92000
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
            Last week I checked for new QSL's and was surprised when my total went
            down by one. A few days later the same thing happened again. Those
            two QLS's are apparently still missing or at least not reflected in the
            total number. It would take a bit of effort to find out which QSL's
            they actuslly were but they don't appear to be recent ones.

            Trav - WX0Y

          • Bill Coleman
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
              On Aug 4, 2007, at 9:11 AM, FireBrick wrote:

              > maybe I didn't make myself clear
              > I HAVE the LoTW qsl
              > It's correct.
              > But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer available
              > When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could apply
              > that qsl
              > for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit

              If you already have another contact credit for that entity, that
              band, that mode, then the checkbox to selection will no longer appear.

              Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@...
              -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
            • FireBrick
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
                you obviously missed part of the thread
                First thing in the morning
                There was a DXCC credit for 30 cw and challenge
                a couple hours later the credit disappeared.

                I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE QSL!
                I'm talking about the entry in the DXCC field!
                First thing in the morning....the DXCC field said that I would have a DXCC
                and Challenge credit
                a couple of hours later....the DXCC field was blank.

                On 8/4/2007 3:18:47 PM, Bill Coleman (aa4lr@...) wrote:
                > On Aug 4, 2007, at 9:11 AM, FireBrick wrote:
                >
                > > maybe I didn't make myself clear
                > > I HAVE the LoTW qsl
                > > It's
                > correct.
                > > But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer
                > available
                > > When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could
                > apply
                > > that qsl
                > > for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit
                >
                > If you already have another contact credit for that entity, that
                > band, that mode, then the checkbox to selection will no longer appear.
                >
                > Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@... [link:
                > mailto:aa4lr@arrl.
                > net]
                > -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
                >

                > Messages in this topic [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                > LOTW/message/4151;_ylc=X3oDMTM1dWJzMTdtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0MgR0cGNJZAM0MTUx](0)
                > Reply (via web post) [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMGxoaG8wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0Mg-
                > -?act=reply&messageNum=4160]| Start a new topic [link: groups.yahoo.
                > com/group/ARRL-
                > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaHRmbmhkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDM
              • Gerry
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007

                  Once you have checked the box (and saved) for the new QSL in the Awards/Application page, the DXCC message is removed from the Your QSOs list. Uncheck the box (and save) and it will reappear as if by magic.

                  Gerry
                  VE6LB/VA6XDX
                  ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                  VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                  (403) 251-6520
                  ve6lb (at) telus (dot) net
                  www.qsl.net/ve6lb/
                  There was a DXCC credit for 30 cw and challenge
                  a couple hours later the credit disappeared.

                  I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE QSL!
                  I'm talking about the entry in the DXCC field!
                  First thing in the morning....the DXCC field said that I would have a DXCC
                  and Challenge credit
                  a couple of hours later....the DXCC field was blank.

                  On 8/4/2007 3:18:47 PM, Bill Coleman (aa4lr@...) wrote:
                  > On Aug 4, 2007, at 9:11 AM, FireBrick wrote:
                  >
                  > > maybe I didn't make myself clear
                  > > I HAVE the LoTW qsl
                  > > It's
                  > correct.
                  > > But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer
                  > available
                  > > When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could
                  > apply
                  > > that qsl
                  > > for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit
                  >
                  > If you already have another contact credit for that entity, that
                  > band, that mode, then the checkbox to selection will no longer appear.
                  >
                  > Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@... [link:
                  > mailto:aa4lr@arrl.
                  > net]
                  > -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
                  >

                  >  Messages in this topic  [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                  > LOTW/message/4151;_ylc=X3oDMTM1dWJzMTdtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0MgR0cGNJZAM0MTUx](0)
                  > Reply (via web post)  [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                  > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMGxoaG8wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0Mg-
                  > -?act=reply&messageNum=4160]| Start a new topic  [link: groups.yahoo.
                  > com/group/ARRL-
                  > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaHRmbmhkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDM

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:ARRL-LOTW-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:ARRL-LOTW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • wd4elg_base
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 5, 2007

                    I also noticed thie behavior several times in the last 18 months.   I had them confirmed, then they just disappeared, then I uploaded again and they were reconfirmed again.

                    Al;so, have seen other QSO's which I expected to be confirmed (5 od the 6 from S9SS were confirmed in LoTW, the sixth was not).  So I re-uploaded that 6th QSO and BAM  confirmed.  It was NOT me.

                    I also had some problems with my VP6DI QSL in LoTW, first confirmed then NOT confirmed.

                    I emailed the LoTW desk, and there was a bug that had to be fixed.  See the emal response below.  My point is that I don't want to shed doubt on the validity of LoTW, but I do want to highlight that it is not our imagination.

                    *********************** <BEGIN EMAL THREAD>*************************

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 5, 2007
                      Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I needed to double my Aricept
                      dosage....
                      I know I saw it.
                      Then I didn't see it...

                      On 8/5/2007 9:36:36 PM, wd4elg_base (mlunday@...) wrote:
                      > I also noticed thie behavior several times in the last 18 months. I had
                      > them confirmed, then they just disappeared, then I uploaded again and they
                      > were reconfirmed again.
                      >
                      > Al;so, have seen other
                      > QSO's which I expected to be confirmed (5 od the 6 from S9SS were
                      > confirmed in LoTW, the sixth was not). So I re-uploaded that 6th QSO and
                      > BAM confirmed. It was NOT me.
                      > I also had some problems with my VP6DI QSL in LoTW, first confirmed then
                      > NOT confirmed.
                      > I emailed the LoTW desk, and there was a bug that had to be fixed. See the
                      > emal response below. My point is that I don't
                      > want to shed doubt on the validity of LoTW, but I do want to highlight
                      > that it is not our imagination.
                      > *********************** <BEGIN EMAL THREAD>*************************
                    • Andreas Rehberg
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                        so how to cure this??

                        shall we all upload our complete logs regularly just to avoid
                        losing some confirmations..

                        sure a bad idea. anyone having a better?

                        Andy, DF4WC

                        -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                        Datum: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 02:36:36 -0000
                        Von: "wd4elg_base" <mlunday@...>
                        An: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
                        Betreff: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: Software bug in LoTW?

                        > I also noticed thie behavior several times in the last 18 months. I
                        > had them confirmed, then they just disappeared, then I uploaded again
                        > and they were reconfirmed again.
                        >

                        > Al;so, have seen other QSO's which I expected to be confirmed (5 od the
                        > 6 from S9SS were confirmed in LoTW, the sixth was not). So I
                        > re-uploaded that 6th QSO and BAM confirmed. It was NOT me.
                        >
                        > I also had some problems with my VP6DI QSL in LoTW, first confirmed then
                        > NOT confirmed.
                        >
                        > I emailed the LoTW desk, and there was a bug that had to be fixed. See
                        > the emal response below. My point is that I don't want to shed doubt on
                        > the validity of LoTW, but I do want to highlight that it is not our
                        > imagination.
                        >
                        > *********************** <BEGIN EMAL THREAD>*************************

                      • vk3ama
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                          I don't know about re-uploading. I did that today, only 1400 records uploaded, so not a big hit on the server, and my QSL record count went down by 25!!

                          I did this upload because I lost 2 QSL records a few weeks ago. I thought the new upload would fix it. Just made it worse.

                          email  sent to help-desk

                          Laurie, VK3AMA

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                            At what point would it be prudent to contact the Lotw desk about
                            this?

                            so how to cure this??

                            Jack Hartley
                            K4WSB / VP2MSB
                            ARRL - QCWA - OOTC
                            DXCC Honor Roll

                          • James M Punderson IV
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                              I have had the same QSL disappear and reappear twice now on LOTW. I
                              did not re-upload or anything else except bring the problem to the
                              attention of the LOTW folks.

                              Since then I have gotten in the habit of noting the QSL total before
                              and after uploading.

                              Another one has disappeared and I have not yet taken the time to try
                              and figure out which one it was. It may even have reappeared already
                              disguised as a new one. I would need to go through my entire DXKeeper
                              log which (separately records LOTW confirmations and their dates) and
                              compare it to the LOTW record to tell for sure.

                              I think perhaps a little bit more time needs to be spent on database
                              integrity...

                              Jamie Punderson, W2QO
                            • Steven WheatleyKU9C
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                I've had a few folks complain that their BS7H qso has 'disappeared'.  I see it in the log, so not sure what is going on.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                    I have a number of credits which have disappeared. Tracking them down:
                                    OE3SGU '98
                                    K4SV '03
                                    LA6FJA '04
                                    KA1LMR '06
                                    WC4J '06
                                    CT5A '06
                                    W7FG '06
                                    S50R '07

                                    Looking up on LOTW indicates these calls are indeed in the system, QSO's
                                    were uploaded and most have confirmed QSO's for other dates. Presto
                                    chango. Fortunately, no band-countries have been deleted.

                                    73 de Brian/K3KO

                                    James M Punderson IV wrote:

                                    >I have had the same QSL disappear and reappear twice now on LOTW. I
                                    >did not re-upload or anything else except bring the problem to the
                                    >attention of the LOTW folks.
                                    >
                                    >Since then I have gotten in the habit of noting the QSL total before
                                    >and after uploading.
                                    >
                                    >Another one has disappeared and I have not yet taken the time to try
                                    >and figure out which one it was. It may even have reappeared already
                                    >disguised as a new one. I would need to go through my entire DXKeeper
                                    >log which (separately records LOTW confirmations and their dates) and
                                    >compare it to the LOTW record to tell for sure.
                                    >
                                    >I think perhaps a little bit more time needs to be spent on database
                                    >integrity...
                                    >
                                    >Jamie Punderson, W2QO

                                  • Gerry Hohn
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007

                                      Brian,

                                      What process did you use to track down the disappeared QSLs?

                                      Gerry VE6LB

                                      James M Punderson IV wrote:

                                      >I have had the same QSL disappear and reappear twice now on LOTW. I
                                      >did not re-upload or anything else except bring the problem to the
                                      >attention of the LOTW folks.
                                      >
                                      >Since then I have gotten in the habit of noting the QSL total before
                                      >and after uploading.
                                      >
                                      >Another one has disappeared and I have not yet taken the time to try
                                      >and figure out which one it was. It may even have reappeared already
                                      >disguised as a new one. I would need to go through my entire DXKeeper
                                      >log which (separately records LOTW confirmations and their dates) and
                                      >compare it to the LOTW record to tell for sure.
                                      >
                                      >I think perhaps a little bit more time needs to be spent on database
                                      >integrity.. .
                                      >
                                      >Jamie Punderson, W2QO

                                    • Brian Alsop
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                        Gerry,

                                        Over the years I periodically downloaded LOTW QSL's into its own logbook
                                        file. It now shows more QSL's than LOTW does. This is a relatively
                                        recent occurance. Up to sometime last year, the two always agreed.

                                        I recently downloaded a consistent file from LOTW which contained all QSL's.

                                        Manually comparing the two logbook files (via ASCII tabular exports of
                                        each) showed the differences. I used a side by side word processor pair
                                        of windows for comparisons. I'm sure somebody else could have written a
                                        program to do it.

                                        Now for a question. Is it a LOTW bug? Or is it the result of some
                                        users re-uploading their files with some sort of mistake in their mode,
                                        band or whatever-- perhaps introduced by the software they are using.

                                        73 de Brian/K3KO

                                        Gerry Hohn wrote:

                                        >Brian,
                                        >
                                        >What process did you use to track down the disappeared QSLs?
                                        >
                                        >Gerry VE6LB

                                      • Terry
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                          This discussion of a possible bug is really interesting but are the LoTW
                                          folks in on it? Is this list monitored by them? This is certainly
                                          something they need to know about.

                                          73 de Terry KK6T

                                        • Gerry Hohn
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007

                                            Thanks for the explanation Brian.

                                            Folks like you that have some historical data can find these discrepancies. The rest of us can only hope all is well.

                                            I trust the LoTW folks will investigate and find the problem and hopefully the data can be recovered and restored.

                                            Gerry VE6LB