Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Software bug in LoTW?

  • FireBrick
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
      maybe I didn't make myself clear
      I HAVE the LoTW qsl
      It's correct.
      But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer available
      When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could apply that qsl
      for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit

      Now it still shows the qsl, but no longer has any entry in the 'DXCC' field.

      On 8/4/2007 8:01:39 AM, Gerry Hohn (telwest@...) wrote:
      > Check your "time". LoTW requires the time to be correct within a 30 minute
      >
      > window.
      >
      > Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
      > DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
      > VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
      > (403) 251-0384
      > ve6lb@...
      > http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

    • Gerry Hohn
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
        I was commenting on Roberts original posting. Sorry.

        Gerry VE6LB

        > But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer available
        > When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could apply that qsl
        > for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit
        >
        > Now it still shows the qsl, but no longer has any entry in the 'DXCC'
        > field.
        >

        > On 8/4/2007 8:01:39 AM, Gerry Hohn (telwest@...) wrote:
        >> Check your "time". LoTW requires the time to be correct within a 30
        >> minute
        >>
        >> window.
        >>
        >> Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
        >> DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta
        >> VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
        >> (403) 251-0384
        >> ve6lb@...
        >> http://www.qsl.net/ve6lb/

      • rchalmas
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
          Well, the QSO data I sent for the 2 disappeared confirmations with
          VU7LD were exactly the same as the original ones. I extracted the 2
          lines from the original ADIF file, copy/pasted it into a new file,
          signed it and sent it. AND don't forget that those 2 contacts were
          initialy confirmed, so the time was obviously OK.

          For A25KDJ it's more difficult to be sure if W5KDJ uploaded exactly
          the same data. First, I also thought it was a time problem so I
          uploaded twice the contact with the time shifted by -1 hour and +1
          hour. No result. I'm sure it's not possible the time error, if any,
          was greater then 1 hour. So at my opinion it's not very likely to be a
          time problem...

          Greetings, Robert - HB9BZA

          --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry Hohn" <telwest@...> wrote:

          > I was commenting on Roberts original posting. Sorry.
          >
          > Gerry VE6LB

        • Robert Chudek
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
            These types of issues *could* happen if a restore was applied to the LoTW server for some technical reason. BUT, if that were the case, I would expect an announcement to be posted by the ARRL. I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is one possible explanation for mysterious changes from a users perspective.

            73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

            Well, the QSO data I sent for the 2 disappeared confirmations with
            VU7LD were exactly the same as the original ones. I extracted the 2
            lines from the original ADIF file, copy/pasted it into a new file,
            signed it and sent it. AND don't forget that those 2 contacts were
            initialy confirmed, so the time was obviously OK.

            For A25KDJ it's more difficult to be sure if W5KDJ uploaded exactly
            the same data. First, I also thought it was a time problem so I
            uploaded twice the contact with the time shifted by -1 hour and +1
            hour. No result. I'm sure it's not possible the time error, if any,
            was greater then 1 hour. So at my opinion it's not very likely to be a
            time problem...

            Greetings, Robert - HB9BZA

            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogrou ps.com, "Gerry Hohn" <telwest@... > wrote:

            > I was commenting on Roberts original posting. Sorry.
            >
            > Gerry VE6LB

          • greyowl92000
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
              Last week I checked for new QSL's and was surprised when my total went
              down by one. A few days later the same thing happened again. Those
              two QLS's are apparently still missing or at least not reflected in the
              total number. It would take a bit of effort to find out which QSL's
              they actuslly were but they don't appear to be recent ones.

              Trav - WX0Y

            • Bill Coleman
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
                On Aug 4, 2007, at 9:11 AM, FireBrick wrote:

                > maybe I didn't make myself clear
                > I HAVE the LoTW qsl
                > It's correct.
                > But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer available
                > When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could apply
                > that qsl
                > for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit

                If you already have another contact credit for that entity, that
                band, that mode, then the checkbox to selection will no longer appear.

                Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@...
                -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
              • FireBrick
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007
                  you obviously missed part of the thread
                  First thing in the morning
                  There was a DXCC credit for 30 cw and challenge
                  a couple hours later the credit disappeared.

                  I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE QSL!
                  I'm talking about the entry in the DXCC field!
                  First thing in the morning....the DXCC field said that I would have a DXCC
                  and Challenge credit
                  a couple of hours later....the DXCC field was blank.

                  On 8/4/2007 3:18:47 PM, Bill Coleman (aa4lr@...) wrote:
                  > On Aug 4, 2007, at 9:11 AM, FireBrick wrote:
                  >
                  > > maybe I didn't make myself clear
                  > > I HAVE the LoTW qsl
                  > > It's
                  > correct.
                  > > But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer
                  > available
                  > > When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could
                  > apply
                  > > that qsl
                  > > for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit
                  >
                  > If you already have another contact credit for that entity, that
                  > band, that mode, then the checkbox to selection will no longer appear.
                  >
                  > Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@... [link:
                  > mailto:aa4lr@arrl.
                  > net]
                  > -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
                  >

                  > Messages in this topic [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                  > LOTW/message/4151;_ylc=X3oDMTM1dWJzMTdtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0MgR0cGNJZAM0MTUx](0)
                  > Reply (via web post) [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                  > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMGxoaG8wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0Mg-
                  > -?act=reply&messageNum=4160]| Start a new topic [link: groups.yahoo.
                  > com/group/ARRL-
                  > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaHRmbmhkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDM
                • Gerry
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 4, 2007

                    Once you have checked the box (and saved) for the new QSL in the Awards/Application page, the DXCC message is removed from the Your QSOs list. Uncheck the box (and save) and it will reappear as if by magic.

                    Gerry
                    VE6LB/VA6XDX
                    ARRL DXCC Card Checker
                    VE/VA6 QSL Bureau Team
                    (403) 251-6520
                    ve6lb (at) telus (dot) net
                    www.qsl.net/ve6lb/
                    There was a DXCC credit for 30 cw and challenge
                    a couple hours later the credit disappeared.

                    I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE QSL!
                    I'm talking about the entry in the DXCC field!
                    First thing in the morning....the DXCC field said that I would have a DXCC
                    and Challenge credit
                    a couple of hours later....the DXCC field was blank.

                    On 8/4/2007 3:18:47 PM, Bill Coleman (aa4lr@...) wrote:
                    > On Aug 4, 2007, at 9:11 AM, FireBrick wrote:
                    >
                    > > maybe I didn't make myself clear
                    > > I HAVE the LoTW qsl
                    > > It's
                    > correct.
                    > > But the credit for 30 meters and challenge are no longer
                    > available
                    > > When it was first seen as a qsl, it indicated that I could
                    > apply
                    > > that qsl
                    > > for 30 meter cw and for 30 meter Challenge credit
                    >
                    > If you already have another contact credit for that entity, that
                    > band, that mode, then the checkbox to selection will no longer appear.
                    >
                    > Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@... [link:
                    > mailto:aa4lr@arrl.
                    > net]
                    > -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
                    >

                    >  Messages in this topic  [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                    > LOTW/message/4151;_ylc=X3oDMTM1dWJzMTdtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0MgR0cGNJZAM0MTUx](0)
                    > Reply (via web post)  [link: groups.yahoo.com/group/ARRL-
                    > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMGxoaG8wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM0MTYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE4NjI1ODc0Mg-
                    > -?act=reply&messageNum=4160]| Start a new topic  [link: groups.yahoo.
                    > com/group/ARRL-
                    > LOTW/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaHRmbmhkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMTE2OTY1BGdycHNwSWQDM

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        mailto:ARRL-LOTW-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        mailto:ARRL-LOTW-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • wd4elg_base
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 5, 2007

                      I also noticed thie behavior several times in the last 18 months.   I had them confirmed, then they just disappeared, then I uploaded again and they were reconfirmed again.

                      Al;so, have seen other QSO's which I expected to be confirmed (5 od the 6 from S9SS were confirmed in LoTW, the sixth was not).  So I re-uploaded that 6th QSO and BAM  confirmed.  It was NOT me.

                      I also had some problems with my VP6DI QSL in LoTW, first confirmed then NOT confirmed.

                      I emailed the LoTW desk, and there was a bug that had to be fixed.  See the emal response below.  My point is that I don't want to shed doubt on the validity of LoTW, but I do want to highlight that it is not our imagination.

                      *********************** <BEGIN EMAL THREAD>*************************

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 5, 2007
                        Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I needed to double my Aricept
                        dosage....
                        I know I saw it.
                        Then I didn't see it...

                        On 8/5/2007 9:36:36 PM, wd4elg_base (mlunday@...) wrote:
                        > I also noticed thie behavior several times in the last 18 months. I had
                        > them confirmed, then they just disappeared, then I uploaded again and they
                        > were reconfirmed again.
                        >
                        > Al;so, have seen other
                        > QSO's which I expected to be confirmed (5 od the 6 from S9SS were
                        > confirmed in LoTW, the sixth was not). So I re-uploaded that 6th QSO and
                        > BAM confirmed. It was NOT me.
                        > I also had some problems with my VP6DI QSL in LoTW, first confirmed then
                        > NOT confirmed.
                        > I emailed the LoTW desk, and there was a bug that had to be fixed. See the
                        > emal response below. My point is that I don't
                        > want to shed doubt on the validity of LoTW, but I do want to highlight
                        > that it is not our imagination.
                        > *********************** <BEGIN EMAL THREAD>*************************
                      • Andreas Rehberg
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                          so how to cure this??

                          shall we all upload our complete logs regularly just to avoid
                          losing some confirmations..

                          sure a bad idea. anyone having a better?

                          Andy, DF4WC

                          -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                          Datum: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 02:36:36 -0000
                          Von: "wd4elg_base" <mlunday@...>
                          An: ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com
                          Betreff: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: Software bug in LoTW?

                          > I also noticed thie behavior several times in the last 18 months. I
                          > had them confirmed, then they just disappeared, then I uploaded again
                          > and they were reconfirmed again.
                          >

                          > Al;so, have seen other QSO's which I expected to be confirmed (5 od the
                          > 6 from S9SS were confirmed in LoTW, the sixth was not). So I
                          > re-uploaded that 6th QSO and BAM confirmed. It was NOT me.
                          >
                          > I also had some problems with my VP6DI QSL in LoTW, first confirmed then
                          > NOT confirmed.
                          >
                          > I emailed the LoTW desk, and there was a bug that had to be fixed. See
                          > the emal response below. My point is that I don't want to shed doubt on
                          > the validity of LoTW, but I do want to highlight that it is not our
                          > imagination.
                          >
                          > *********************** <BEGIN EMAL THREAD>*************************

                        • vk3ama
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                            I don't know about re-uploading. I did that today, only 1400 records uploaded, so not a big hit on the server, and my QSL record count went down by 25!!

                            I did this upload because I lost 2 QSL records a few weeks ago. I thought the new upload would fix it. Just made it worse.

                            email  sent to help-desk

                            Laurie, VK3AMA

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                              At what point would it be prudent to contact the Lotw desk about
                              this?

                              so how to cure this??

                              Jack Hartley
                              K4WSB / VP2MSB
                              ARRL - QCWA - OOTC
                              DXCC Honor Roll

                            • James M Punderson IV
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                I have had the same QSL disappear and reappear twice now on LOTW. I
                                did not re-upload or anything else except bring the problem to the
                                attention of the LOTW folks.

                                Since then I have gotten in the habit of noting the QSL total before
                                and after uploading.

                                Another one has disappeared and I have not yet taken the time to try
                                and figure out which one it was. It may even have reappeared already
                                disguised as a new one. I would need to go through my entire DXKeeper
                                log which (separately records LOTW confirmations and their dates) and
                                compare it to the LOTW record to tell for sure.

                                I think perhaps a little bit more time needs to be spent on database
                                integrity...

                                Jamie Punderson, W2QO
                              • Steven WheatleyKU9C
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                  I've had a few folks complain that their BS7H qso has 'disappeared'.  I see it in the log, so not sure what is going on.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                      I have a number of credits which have disappeared. Tracking them down:
                                      OE3SGU '98
                                      K4SV '03
                                      LA6FJA '04
                                      KA1LMR '06
                                      WC4J '06
                                      CT5A '06
                                      W7FG '06
                                      S50R '07

                                      Looking up on LOTW indicates these calls are indeed in the system, QSO's
                                      were uploaded and most have confirmed QSO's for other dates. Presto
                                      chango. Fortunately, no band-countries have been deleted.

                                      73 de Brian/K3KO

                                      James M Punderson IV wrote:

                                      >I have had the same QSL disappear and reappear twice now on LOTW. I
                                      >did not re-upload or anything else except bring the problem to the
                                      >attention of the LOTW folks.
                                      >
                                      >Since then I have gotten in the habit of noting the QSL total before
                                      >and after uploading.
                                      >
                                      >Another one has disappeared and I have not yet taken the time to try
                                      >and figure out which one it was. It may even have reappeared already
                                      >disguised as a new one. I would need to go through my entire DXKeeper
                                      >log which (separately records LOTW confirmations and their dates) and
                                      >compare it to the LOTW record to tell for sure.
                                      >
                                      >I think perhaps a little bit more time needs to be spent on database
                                      >integrity...
                                      >
                                      >Jamie Punderson, W2QO

                                    • Gerry Hohn
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007

                                        Brian,

                                        What process did you use to track down the disappeared QSLs?

                                        Gerry VE6LB

                                        James M Punderson IV wrote:

                                        >I have had the same QSL disappear and reappear twice now on LOTW. I
                                        >did not re-upload or anything else except bring the problem to the
                                        >attention of the LOTW folks.
                                        >
                                        >Since then I have gotten in the habit of noting the QSL total before
                                        >and after uploading.
                                        >
                                        >Another one has disappeared and I have not yet taken the time to try
                                        >and figure out which one it was. It may even have reappeared already
                                        >disguised as a new one. I would need to go through my entire DXKeeper
                                        >log which (separately records LOTW confirmations and their dates) and
                                        >compare it to the LOTW record to tell for sure.
                                        >
                                        >I think perhaps a little bit more time needs to be spent on database
                                        >integrity.. .
                                        >
                                        >Jamie Punderson, W2QO

                                      • Brian Alsop
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                          Gerry,

                                          Over the years I periodically downloaded LOTW QSL's into its own logbook
                                          file. It now shows more QSL's than LOTW does. This is a relatively
                                          recent occurance. Up to sometime last year, the two always agreed.

                                          I recently downloaded a consistent file from LOTW which contained all QSL's.

                                          Manually comparing the two logbook files (via ASCII tabular exports of
                                          each) showed the differences. I used a side by side word processor pair
                                          of windows for comparisons. I'm sure somebody else could have written a
                                          program to do it.

                                          Now for a question. Is it a LOTW bug? Or is it the result of some
                                          users re-uploading their files with some sort of mistake in their mode,
                                          band or whatever-- perhaps introduced by the software they are using.

                                          73 de Brian/K3KO

                                          Gerry Hohn wrote:

                                          >Brian,
                                          >
                                          >What process did you use to track down the disappeared QSLs?
                                          >
                                          >Gerry VE6LB

                                        • Terry
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
                                            This discussion of a possible bug is really interesting but are the LoTW
                                            folks in on it? Is this list monitored by them? This is certainly
                                            something they need to know about.

                                            73 de Terry KK6T

                                          • Gerry Hohn
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 7, 2007

                                              Thanks for the explanation Brian.

                                              Folks like you that have some historical data can find these discrepancies. The rest of us can only hope all is well.

                                              I trust the LoTW folks will investigate and find the problem and hopefully the data can be recovered and restored.

                                              Gerry VE6LB