Re: OFFICIAL? VUCC will not be offered via LOTW anytime soon

  • cord72501
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
      Well, I dont think screen dumps are going to be the solution. I
      happened to have a conversation with someone this afternoon who is
      familiar with the issue and a part of the ARRL field organization. He
      said it was the intent to have LOTW track and submit ALL ARRL awards
      and they have been dragging their feet to get it going. He believes,
      as I do, it will not require a major software change to implement
      VUCC since grid squares are a parameter in the system. It just take
      some programming changes to have grids recognized as "entities".
      Awards via LOTW are a benefit of ARRL membership. The amateur
      community should be able to take full advantage of the benefits of
      using LOTW. As K3KO noted he was also told "no" last year, at a
      minimum the ARRL should implement a plan to implement VUCC and other
      awards in atimely and reasonable manner. It is a win/win situation
      for both sides: LOTW users save money on postage/printing costs and
      the ARRL makes money off of the credits purchased for awards.

      I am awaiting an official answer from my division director which will
      take a few days Im sure. I will keep the thread updated.
      73,
      Cord KD5J

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@...> wrote:

      > If the ARRL starts accepting screen dumps for verifications, you
      might as well throw the entire LoTW security system out the window.

      > This screen dump concept came up a while back. I proved to the
      fellow that *I* worked the particular DX station he was submitting,
      not him. I used simple PDF editing tools, removed his callsign and
      inserted mine. This is no smoke and mirrors, just everyday graphic
      arts tools.

      > What the ARRL is telling you is the way to get VUCC credit right
      now is to exchange a printed QSL card. The CQ awards manager... well
      that's a different organization with a different level of security.

      > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

      LOTW anytime soon

      > Cord,
      >
      > I got the same answer last year.
      >
      > Perhaps it is not worth the programming effort. However, there
      should
      > be some way to get credit-- even if it is a hokey.
      >
      > I proposed to the local VUCC checker that I make a copy of the
      detailed
      > screen dump for each LoTW QSL.
      > They can all be put into a single Word or WordPerfect document.
      Then