OFFICIAL? VUCC will not be offered via LOTW anytime soon

  • cord72501
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
      I sent an email to the ARRL asking what the timeframe is to offer VUCC
      via LOTW. They referred me to one of their programmers. He
      replied "There are no present plans to offer VUCC via LoTW." OK, asked
      him some more questions and this is what I get:

      I didn't say it would never happen, it's just not in the present plan.
      It's certainly something we are interested in, but given our current
      resources, the costs involved, and the anticipated level of activity,
      taken together, VUCC via LoTW just hasn't made it into the plan ahead of
      the other things we have on our plate.

      This reply only opens up more questions to ask what the holdup is.
      Additionally, it appears the ARRL is underestimating the number of
      VHFers who are waiting for VUCC to become available via LOTW. I am
      going to ask my division director for a better answer.

      Stay tuned.
      73,
      Cord KD5J
    • Brian Alsop
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
        Cord,

        I got the same answer last year.

        Perhaps it is not worth the programming effort. However, there should
        be some way to get credit-- even if it is a hokey.

        I proposed to the local VUCC checker that I make a copy of the detailed
        screen dump for each LoTW QSL.
        They can all be put into a single Word or WordPerfect document. Then
        put that on a CD and mail it to the checker.
        If that wouldn't be secure enough, I offered to sit down with the
        checker and show him the LoTW QSL's while logged into LoTW. He is
        checking with ARRL on this.

        I understand CQ checkers accept such screen dumps for their awards.

        I have 125 grids, many new, already confirmed via LOTW and they are
        currently worthless.

        73 de Brian/K3KO

        cord72501 wrote:

        >I sent an email to the ARRL asking what the timeframe is to offer VUCC
        >via LOTW. They referred me to one of their programmers. He
        >replied "There are no present plans to offer VUCC via LoTW." OK, asked
        >him some more questions and this is what I get:
        >
        >I didn't say it would never happen, it's just not in the present plan.
        >It's certainly something we are interested in, but given our current
        >resources, the costs involved, and the anticipated level of activity,
        >taken together, VUCC via LoTW just hasn't made it into the plan ahead of
        >the other things we have on our plate.
        >
        >This reply only opens up more questions to ask what the holdup is.
        >Additionally, it appears the ARRL is underestimating the number of
        >VHFers who are waiting for VUCC to become available via LOTW. I am
        >going to ask my division director for a better answer.
        >
        >Stay tuned.
        >73,
        >Cord KD5J

      • Robert Chudek
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
          If the ARRL starts accepting screen dumps for verifications, you might as well throw the entire LoTW security system out the window.

          This screen dump concept came up a while back. I proved to the fellow that *I* worked the particular DX station he was submitting, not him. I used simple PDF editing tools, removed his callsign and inserted mine. This is no smoke and mirrors, just everyday graphic arts tools.

          What the ARRL is telling you is the way to get VUCC credit right now is to exchange a printed QSL card. The CQ awards manager... well that's a different organization with a different level of security.

          73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

          cord72501 wrote:

          >I sent an email to the ARRL asking what the timeframe is to offer VUCC
          >via LOTW. They referred me to one of their programmers. He
          >replied "There are no present plans to offer VUCC via LoTW." OK, asked
          >him some more questions and this is what I get:
          >
          >I didn't say it would never happen, it's just not in the present plan.
          >It's certainly something we are interested in, but given our current
          >resources, the costs involved, and the anticipated level of activity,
          >taken together, VUCC via LoTW just hasn't made it into the plan ahead of
          >the other things we have on our plate.
          >
          >This reply only opens up more questions to ask what the holdup is.
          >Additionally, it appears the ARRL is underestimating the number of
          >VHFers who are waiting for VUCC to become available via LOTW. I am
          >going to ask my division director for a better answer.
          >
          >Stay tuned.
          >73,
          >Cord KD5J

        • cord72501
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
            Well, I dont think screen dumps are going to be the solution. I
            happened to have a conversation with someone this afternoon who is
            familiar with the issue and a part of the ARRL field organization. He
            said it was the intent to have LOTW track and submit ALL ARRL awards
            and they have been dragging their feet to get it going. He believes,
            as I do, it will not require a major software change to implement
            VUCC since grid squares are a parameter in the system. It just take
            some programming changes to have grids recognized as "entities".
            Awards via LOTW are a benefit of ARRL membership. The amateur
            community should be able to take full advantage of the benefits of
            using LOTW. As K3KO noted he was also told "no" last year, at a
            minimum the ARRL should implement a plan to implement VUCC and other
            awards in atimely and reasonable manner. It is a win/win situation
            for both sides: LOTW users save money on postage/printing costs and
            the ARRL makes money off of the credits purchased for awards.

            I am awaiting an official answer from my division director which will
            take a few days Im sure. I will keep the thread updated.
            73,
            Cord KD5J

            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@...> wrote:

            > If the ARRL starts accepting screen dumps for verifications, you
            might as well throw the entire LoTW security system out the window.

            > This screen dump concept came up a while back. I proved to the
            fellow that *I* worked the particular DX station he was submitting,
            not him. I used simple PDF editing tools, removed his callsign and
            inserted mine. This is no smoke and mirrors, just everyday graphic
            arts tools.

            > What the ARRL is telling you is the way to get VUCC credit right
            now is to exchange a printed QSL card. The CQ awards manager... well
            that's a different organization with a different level of security.

            > 73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

            LOTW anytime soon