Re: LOTW plaque

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
      I have no problem with the ARRL and am a Life Member. But I have
      found that with any large organization, in general, that if you wait
      for things to happen or get approval from, then one could die
      first. LoTW may be owned by the ARRL, but the QSOs and QSLs you
      have earned are yours to download or do anything you want with the
      file. Personally I wouldn't get ARRL involved with your idea on the
      plaque.

      Bill, N5RR

      --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Sidorov" <vs_otw@...>
      wrote:

      > Everything could be even easier.
      >
      > One way or another LoTW is the ARRL's domain. Anything related to
      LoTW
      > should be coordinated with ARRL. First, they have to approve the
      whole idea.
      > Then, a plaque applicant should send you his ADIF file with the
      totals of
      > 2000 and up. Then there are several options:
      > - you send this file to ARRL for verification
      > - you ask ARRL for their copy of this file for your own
      verification
      > (obviously they have administrative rights on the site and can
      pick it up
      > themselves).
      >
      > And finally the easiest of all: you send ARRL a simple
      request: "AB0CDE
      > claims to get the LoTW Challenge total of 2000. Please kindly
      confirm, if
      > so".
      > That's it.
      >
      > 73,
      > Vladimir VE3IAE/EU1SA
      >
      > ---
      >

      > > Here is an idea on confirmation.
      > >
      > > Have the one claiming the goal download UltraVNC and load the
      server
      > > on his computer for a one time shot. This is rather easy to do.
      > > UltraVNC then has a web interface, where you can log on with a
      > > password and view the display of the person's computer in real-
      > > time. Then, along with an open telephone connection, instruct
      him
      > > to download the lotwreport.adi file and attach it to an email
      > > addressed to you. You can even have him, while you watch, type a
      > > unique message that you have made up on the spot. You can watch
      him
      > > then send that email and view the outgoing mail box until it is
      > > sent. You have him open the "SENT" messages folder and you note
      the
      > > time the message was sent and you are done. Log off and the one
      > > applying can then uninstall the VNC server.
      > >
      > > Other than going to the location, which could be anywhere in the
      > > world, this is the only way I can think of right now to insure
      you
      > > are not spoofed.
      > >
      > > Bill, N5RR
      > >
      > > --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@>
      wrote:

      > >> If someone claims to have achieved this, have them tell you
      their
      > >> LotW web site username and password. Then you can download their
      > > QSL
      > >> file, load it into a logging application, and verify their
      claim.

      > >> They can then change their web site password.

> [...]
    • Vladimir Sidorov
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2007
        Gents,

        Sometimes it's tough to be a lawyer, though I am the one de facto,
        businesswise. Therefore sometimes a brief legal analisys of a certain idea
        serves as a well refreshing shower.

        The Web page www.arrl.org/lotw starts with " ARRL's Logbook of the World
        (LoTW) system is a repository...", etc. Well, it's the ARRL program... Then,
        we are talking about the DXCC Challenge program which is also the ARRL one,
        you like it or not. So, we are done. If ARRL is left apart, we officially
        cannot talk about neither LoTW, nor DXCC Challenge. Moreover, as long as the
        whole DXCC program is maintained by the ARRL with their own criteria for
        band/countries and DX activities' validations, even the ADIF file is their
        own domain at a certain extent and can barely be used for other but ARRL
        DXCC purposes...
        OK, we can say, the plaque is issued for achievent of a certain result under
        the criteria equal to the DXCC Challenge program, but is this really the
        target desired? ...

        Back to ARRL. First, nobody asked for their opinion yet. What if they come
        up with an support of that? But still, they can simply say, why should we
        support this idea if we can issue our own Challenge plaque with the 2000
        sticker?... (Assuming, taking some money for that...).

        Well, the deeper we go, the tougher it is.

        Not easy.

        73,
        Vladimir VE3IAE/EU1SA

        ---

        Sometimes it's nice to be a de-facto lawyer. Believe me, there are severa
        simple ways to force ARRL to come

        OK, there is a private project on sponsoring of the plaque.