Re: [ARRL-LOTW] Kwiklog to ADI

  • Dave Hachadorian
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003
      On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 06:28:02 -0000 "Tom Horton" <k5iid@...>
      writes:
      > I use KWIKLOG(DOS VERSION) to maintain my
      > county hunter files. It is written in Virtual
      > BAsic( I think).
      > Is there any way to convert these log files to
      > ADI? Would like to load them up as well as all my
      > other logs. I have 47 years worth of logs, and am not really
      > interested in doing it manually. Hi!
      > Thanks ,
      > Tom K5IID

      If you can get the log into some sort of editable ascii
      format, and can operate a spreadsheet program, such as
      Excel or Quattro, here is one approach that may help:

      The program asc2adif will convert a comma-delimited
      ascii log, created by your favorite spreadsheet program,
      into an ADIF file. asc2adif is available at
      http://kh2d.net/software/asc2adif.cfm

      The process is:
      1. Get the log into ascii format.
      2. Edit out headers,page breaks, blank lines, etc, so the
      log contains only qso data.
      3. Import the ascii log into a spreadsheet, formatting it
      into columns.
      4. Clean up the columns if required, moving some blocks of
      data around to get everything lined up vertically.
      5. convert the dates to mm-dd-yy.
      6. convert the times to hhmm (24hr)
      7. convert band data to mhz or meters
      8. move callsigns to column A
      9. Move band to column B
      10. Move mode to column D
      11. Move date to column Q
      12. Move time to column R
      13. Get rid of all other data, unless you feel compelled to
      mess with it, and it fits one of the other asc2adif headers
      (rst's, freq, name, note, dxcc, qslsent, qsl rcvd,state, iota,
      county, zone, qth). None of this is really required though.
      14. Save the file as an ascii, comma-delimited text file.
      15. Run asc2adif to convert to ADIF.

      All of this sounds harder than it actually is, especially if you
      are halfway good at the spreadsheet program. The only showstopper
      is if the date or time is in such a goofy format that you cannot
      convert it automatically to one of the formats required by asc2adif.
      For contest logs, even the date is not a problem, because only two
      days are involved, and you can easily paste the correct format into
      the date column.

      I've converted a lot of my old logs this way. It was a great refresher
      course in spreadsheet tricks! Now that I don't have any more files to
      convert, I'm an expert at a useless task!

      Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
      Yuma, AZ
    • darryl-prv@shecora.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003
        Message
        Hi,

        I don't speak for ARRL and I don't know there official policy, but I got a cert for both my Boy Scout club
        station and a special event call (N1H) based on my own station cert.  The concept is that if one
        sign a certreq with a cert then that is trusted, just like the TrustedQSL they are trusted.  Therefore
        if one sign a bogus certreq they have committed fraud and all their certs may be revoked if discovered.

        If you is going to commit fraud you don't leave a trail positively identifying you as the person committing
        fraud.

        Hope this helps

        Darryl WA1GON

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003
          Dave,

          you said...

           I've converted a lot of my old logs this way. It was a great refresher
          course in spreadsheet tricks! Now that I don't have any more files to
          convert, I'm an expert at a useless task!

           How about a trip to WV? hi hi
           I am by no means an expert on spreadsheets, but have worked with them a bit.
          I can probably figure this out...I hope.
           A guy that is helping rewrite the Kwiklog system is gonna try to help
          also.
           This log(Kwiklog) is by far the best there is for county hunting, something
          I've been doing for many years. I need 28 more to have them all QRP.
          Yes I'm a masochist, but it is a challenge.
           Thanks for the info.
          See you in a few weeks on SS.
          73, Tom K5IID

          Tom Horton
          "E" Sorter for the ARRL W5 Bureau.

        • James
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003
            Message
            Thanks for the comments Darryl

            I agree about signing a cert req with a trusted cert an perhaps they will let us do that, but as far as I know the UK certs have to be applied for by post as our call signs can't be checked against the FCC database.

            73,

            James M0ZZO

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2003
              Message
              James, don't you have Trustees for your Club stations as we do here in States.  Think your cert would be keyed on the trustee so you would submit copy of club license plus ID info on trustee.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
                Message
                Thanks Gary

                I guess this will be the route taken but I don't see anything explicitly stating it to be the case.

                73,

                James M0ZZO