12 Easy Steps to LotW Success

  • Jerry Keller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      My friend Rick N6RK came up with the following easy 12-step process for joining and using LotW:

      Simplified Logbook of The World (LOTW) instructions.
      Total working time under an hour.

              By Rick Karlquist N6RK

      First 12 steps you only do once.

      Steps 1-6, <15 minutes

      1.  Create directory My Documents/lotw.

      2.  Go to
      http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/trustedqsl/tqsl-111.exe?download
      and download Trusted QSL program to My Documents/lotw directory.

      3.  Start/Run/My Documents/lotw/tqsl-111.exe to install program.  Delete
      tqsl-111.exe.

      4.  Start/Programs/TQSLcert.  Menu: File/New Certificate Request. Wizard
      starts

      5.  Fill in your call, DXCC entity, QSO begin date, leave end date blank,
      name and
      address as shown on FCC license and email address.  Leave password blank.
      QSO
      begin date is when you got on the air from your current QTH.  (You can do
      other QTH's later).

      6.  Save .tq5 file to lotw directory and email as an attachment to
      lotw-logs@....

      7.  Wait a few days for postcard from ARRL (USA stations only).

      Step 8, < 5 minutes

      8.  Go to
      https://pk1.arrl.org/lotw/password and enter your call and number
      on postcard.
      Note "https" not "http" (USA stations only)

      9.  Wait for email from ARRL.

      Steps 10-12, < 15 minutes

      10. Open email from ARRL and save attached .tq6 file in lotw directory.
      Go to
      https://pk1.arrl.org/lotwuser/default and type in the password
      included in
      the text of the email.  Click on "Your Account" then "Change Password"
      and change the password to something you can remember.  Delete the ARRL
      email,
      delete <your call>.tq5, and throw away the postcard.

      11.  Start/Programs/TQSLcert.  Menu:  File/Load Certificate File.  Check
      TQSL.  Open
      My Documents/lotw/<your call>.tq6.  Exit program.

      12.  Start/Programs/TQSL.  Menu: Station/Add Location.  Wizard starts.  Fill
      in info
      on your current QTH.  (You can do other QTH's later).

      Each time you want to submit logs to LOTW (< 10 minutes, mostly waiting
      time):

      A.  Export ADIF or Cabrillo file from logging program to My
      Documents/lotw/<filename>.adi
      B.  Start/Programs/TQSL/File/SignExistingADIFOrCabrilloFile.
      Open My Documents/lotw/<filename>.adi.  Save to My
      Documents/lotw/<filename>.tq8
      C.  Email <filename>.tq8 to
      lotw-logs@....

      Wait about 4 hours for email from ARRL saying your log was received.
      Then go to
      https://pk1.arrl.org/lotwuser/default and click on
      "Your QSO's" to see how many QSLs you got.