RE: [ARRL-LOTW] Re: WAS Support when?

  • rojomn
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 2, 2005
      Which means it is likely that it will NEVER be a success except PERHAPS???
      For DXCC. What a sad commentary on the ARRL!
      Hire Dave, he would get it done, nahh he would not want that job :-)

      Gil, W0MN http://webpages.charter.net/gbaron
      N 44.082056 W 92.513024 1050'
      Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

    • Bill Coleman
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2005
        On Oct 2, 2005, at 9:20 AM, Beischel wrote:

        > Does anyone know when LOTW is going to support the WAS award? That
        > has to be the most important award next to DXCC.

        Last I heard, when I wrote lotw-help, WAS support was coming 2nd or
        3rd quarter 2005.

        Uh, Wait. We're now in the 4th quarter.

        Looks like it is long overdue.

        Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@...
        -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
      • Bill Coleman
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2005
          On Oct 2, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

          > Why ... because the Board of Directors has their heads where the
          > sun don't shine and are not providing enough resources for LotW
          > development and promotion.

          I can see this is a tough situation. It's hard to front a lot of
          money to invest in a program that may not recover the expenses for
          some time. Easier to pay it out using excess capacity. A heck of a
          lot slower, though.

          > LotW development is done by one person who has primary responsibility
          > for ALL computer systems ... including "production" systems which
          > have priority. There is NOBODY with primary responsibility for
          > promoting LotW and/or "selling" LotW to the sponsors of other awards
          > programs.

          Chicken and egg. Can't really sell the program to other award
          sponsors when ARRL doesn't even support its own main awards (DXCC,
          WAS, VUCC), can you?

          Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@...
          -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
        • Dave Bernstein
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 2, 2005
            The "Stove, give me heat, and I will give you wood" strategy rarely
            works.

            There's no point buying a stove if you can't afford the fuel. Unless
            you need something to bang your head on...

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 2, 2005
              At 10:32 PM 10/2/2005, Dave Bernstein wrote:
              >The "Stove, give me heat, and I will give you wood" strategy rarely
              >works.
              >
              >There's no point buying a stove if you can't afford the fuel. Unless
              >you need something to bang your head on...
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Dave, AA6YQ

              Dave's 100% correct. The League isn't going to spend money on extending
              LoTW unless you let your division director know that it's important. If
              there's no committment to get it done, it won't get done.

              Have you told your director that it's important to get this funded and
              done? If not, don't complain - apparently the League doesn't think it's
              worth doing because nobody cares.
              -Rick
            • Bill Turner
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 2, 2005
                At 07:06 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:

                >I can see this is a tough situation. It's hard to front a lot of
                >money to invest in a program that may not recover the expenses for
                >some time. Easier to pay it out using excess capacity. A heck of a
                >lot slower, though.

                "Invest" is not exactly the right word here. ARRL is a non-profit
                organization and does not have to show return on investment. That's
                what we pay our dues for and that's how I want my dues spent.

                I suspect the underlying problem is that ARRL greatly underestimated
                how difficult implementing LoTW would be. They're not the first to
                make such a mistake.

                73, Bill W6WRT