Renewal screwed up

  • Ford Peterson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      My certificates expire on 9/8/2005. I get an email today as a reminder, and a link to get it all straightened out. So I go to the instructions and read, download the new TQSLCert program, and go through the steps indicated. I get the TQ6 files back a couple hours later with the instructions that say 'try double clicking' on the file attached. It opens and does some back room magic.

      The instructions read as follows:

      ***********************
      When your renewal request is complete, you will see an additional line on your TQSLCert program screen. This will look the same as your existing certificate except that it will have a red circle/bar over the seal. This is your renewal request. When your renewal .tq6 file is returned and loaded, the red circle/bar will go away as will the original certificate, leaving only your renewed certificate.
      ***********************

      The red circle/bar goes away as indicated, but I now have the original certificate and the new certificate listed. So now I have twice as many Certs as I had before. Now what? The so-called "instructions" don't work as expected and I don't know if this is screwed up or not. As far as I can tell, the renewal worked, but I now have too many certificates listed. Should I be worried?

      Ford-N0FP
      ford@...
    • N2TK, Tony
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        That's a good question. Mine did the same. I am assuming I see both
        certificates since my old certificates are still valid for another week.
        N2TK, Tony

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dave-GVK
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          Guy's:
          I just went thri this myself and got the same result...(the new plus the old
          certificate) With fear, I deleted the old one and kept the renewed one.
          All seems to works OK even though I deleted it while several weeks were
          left. I guess the new one superseeds the previous certificate. I was able
          to upload & preform all functions ect.
          So, I suggest you simply delete the old certificate and you should be OK.
          Dave, K8GVK

          > That's a good question. Mine did the same. I am assuming I see both
          > certificates since my old certificates are still valid for another week.
          > N2TK, Tony

        • m5aav
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Dave-GVK" <k8gvk@c...> wrote:
            > Guy's:
            > I just went thri this myself and got the same result...(the new plus
            the old
            > certificate)

            Hey Guys !!

            I just hate to be the 'slimey old limey' but have any of you looked at
            the LoTW Home Pages ?

            Second News Item down [on the left, in the yellow boxes] tells you
            that this is *exactly* what will happen when renewing a
            Certificate,and that you have to remove the old one manually.

            As I have been told on many occasions RTFM <smiles>

            73

            Graham M5AAV
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              Ford,

              My old certificates did not go away either ... I opened each of
              the new certificates and immediately saved a new .P12 backup
              then I deleted the old certificates.

              That way if anything happens, I have backups of the new certificates
              to restore.

            • Phil Cooper
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                Hi all,

                I posted a similar problem a few days ago, and had all the same problems as
                reported here.
                In my case, I compounded it by (apparently) requesting a NEW certificate,
                rather than requesting a renewal.

                Yes, the instructions do indeed say that the old one will remain, but if you
                open TQSLCert, highlight the old one, and then click on CERTIFICATE at the
                top, then PROPERTIES, you will see that the fact that you have renewed has
                suspended your older cert - at least it did in my case.

                When you get the TQ6 file in the email, if you click on the little
                paper-clip, click on the call.TQ6 file, and then select OPEN, it will
                actually install just the way it suggests it will.
                HOWEVER, this may well be linked to which OS you are using.

                You can then safely delete the old certificate, BUT DO MAKE SURE it IS the
                old one first!

                Having now got a nice new certificate, run TQSLCert, highlight it, and then
                click on Certificate at the top, and then click on SAVE, and save the P12
                file somewhere other than your usual hard drive.
                I am keeping mine in several places, just in case I screw up again!

                Fortunately, Wayne Mills came to my rescue, and despite doing all the wrong
                things, (deleting the newly installed v1.11 and re-installing v1.10,
                deleting the TQ6 and TQ5 files, plus a few other acts of desperation), Wayne
                told me how to get back to normal from the P12 file.
                Although I had tried this, I didn't use the right procedure, which didn't
                work.

                One question for the LoTW team................ Is this problem of the old
                certificate staying behind due to v1.11 ?
                I didn't have this problem last year with v1.10.

                Very best 73
                Phil GU0SUP

              • Ford Peterson
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                  ...snip...

                  > As I have been told on many occasions RTFM <smiles>
                  >
                  > 73
                  >
                  > Graham M5AAV

                  Graham,

                  Apparently, you did find some reference to deleting these manually. However, the reminder has a link (https://www.arrl.org/lotw/renew) that provides the following info:

                  **************************
                  When your renewal request is complete, you will see an additional line on your TQSLCert program screen. This will look the same as your existing certificate except that it will have a red circle/bar over the seal. This is your renewal request. When your renewal .tq6 file is returned and loaded, the red circle/bar will go away as will the original certificate, leaving only your renewed certificate.
                  **************************

                  So I guess it depends on what version of the 'instructions' you view first. As a user getting a link provided by a reminder email, I deemed this to be a reliable set of instructions. Obviously, multiple sets of instructions need to all be updated...

                  Ford-N0FP
                  ford@...
                • m5aav
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                    --- In ARRL-LOTW@yahoogroups.com, "Ford Peterson" <n0fp@a...> wrote:
                    > ...snip...

                    > Graham,
                    >
                    > Apparently, you did find some reference to deleting these manually.
                    However, the reminder has a link (https://www.arrl.org/lotw/renew)
                    that provides the following info:

                    > So I guess it depends on what version of the 'instructions' you view
                    first. As a user getting a link provided by a reminder email, I
                    deemed this to be a reliable set of instructions. Obviously, multiple
                    sets of instructions need to all be updated...

                    Duly noted.
                    Not having had a reminder [yet/recently] I wouldn't have seen that.

                    Certainly does look like not all pieces of 'relevant' information have
                    been updated, or are correct. [Maybe in 11.12 ? <smiles>]

                    73
                    Graham [going back to sleep]